Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:35 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,028,840 times

Advertisements

I lived in Florida many years but not in a $$$ mansion. i saw many concrete block basic homes from the 70s on waterfront locations. When they were listed for sale the insides of those homes were very basic also. Sensible people know the value is in the land not the home and do not put money into them that can flooded out or blown away.

Those concrete block buildings are survivors but roofs may have been patched or replaced over the years.
If you want marble and granite and fancy wood inside then you better build well above flood level with lots of concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 03:32 PM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Does anyone on the island actually have a mortgage? I mean, is traditional financing even possible on a $50m house?
Sure...........if you could have gotten a 5% loan and then put your 50 million in a fund paying 8% you can "make" 3% on 50 million! The banks would love you!

But for most of the world the interest isn't deductible past 1mm or something anyway and then property taxes are no longer deductible past 10-15K or something small. But if a "business" owned the property then all of that is likely deductible.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:52 PM

30,403 posts, read 21,222,541 times
The man that dwells in marble halls can't high hat me one bit when nature calls.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Sensible people know the value is in the land not the home and do not put money into them that can flooded out or blown away.

If that land ever floods the value may not be as much as the owner hoped it'd be. What was once desirable can become a liability.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:10 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Climate change does not apply if you are political connected and/or wealthy. If you are, you can also help by buying CO2 credit from your own company
You kinda got it backwards. Those "credits" to which you refer, can be sold to other entities, annually.

For some companies that have more credits than needed, this can add up to millions of dollars, each year.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:55 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/ultra-ri...isk-74553.html

Even for Star Island, the most exclusive enclave in Miami, the bill is a shocker: $622,000.

But, only last year, the same policy cost $200,000.

So it goes across the nation in the rarefied playgrounds of the rich, where price — and, it seems, risks of climate change — are no object.

My dream would be to own an older waterfront home, $0 insurance and when mother nature wrecks it, oh well tear it down and build a mansion (true value is in the lot, not the actual structure). The deductible is usually 3-5% of the value of the home so if the house is worth 10mm, the 5% deductible means you have to cover the first 500K in damage BEFORE the insurance company even comes out to look at things.

So imagine paying crazy money for a policy, then oh yeah you are on the hook for the first 500K then we will cover the rest! What are you actually covering?!?!?!
The 5% applies to the insured value of the DWELLING not the entire property.

So if it's really a 1mil home on 9mil of land the deductible is 50k not 500k.

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/divisio...canedeductible

Old 09-15-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The 5% applies to the insured value of the DWELLING not the entire property.

So if it's really a 1mil home on 9mil of land the deductible is 50k not 500k.

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/divisio...canedeductible
Dwelling risks with limits in excess $3 million: the insurer only needs to offer the 5% and 10% options.

Reference: s.627.701, F.S.

Seems it gets worse the more expensive the property gets. Who gets to argue the value of the property vs. the land? Why won't they let you insure the structure only then?

Old 09-15-2023, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
If that land ever floods the value may not be as much as the owner hoped it'd be. What was once desirable can become a liability.
In that case you just valued places like the Florida keys as zero value. I'm pretty sure that whole chain has been wet at one time or another.

ME: no way would I buy anything down there or in the Bahamas. I'd rather rent a VRBO/hotel and enjoy a week or whatever and then toss the keys back to the owner and wish them the best during the next storm

Old 09-15-2023, 06:19 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
In that case you just valued places like the Florida keys as zero value. I'm pretty sure that whole chain has been wet at one time or another.

ME: no way would I buy anything down there or in the Bahamas. I'd rather rent a VRBO/hotel and enjoy a week or whatever and then toss the keys back to the owner and wish them the best during the next storm
True. Maybe demand will continue to hold up even as the flooding becomes more frequent. Just sold my last Bahama property this year but it is less likely to flood than anything in coastal Florida due to rocky shore and elevation.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
True. Maybe demand will continue to hold up even as the flooding becomes more frequent. Just sold my last Bahama property this year but it is less likely to flood than anything in coastal Florida due to rocky shore and elevation.
Bahamas is another train wreck.........economy/insurance/VAT taxes .......they are literally trying to milk Americans for every nickel and they are not visiting as often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: