Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 07:55 PM

520 posts, read 869,187 times

Advertisements

I've been on this forum for years and followed along with all the good and bad posts, But i finally bought a Fl house and I'm looking for some tips on closing her up for the summer. I remember there were threads that had an extensive list of what to close,open,seal off. I've tryed the search option but can't seem to find them. So I'd like start another refresher course of must do things before you leave. Yes I know about putting plastic and a brick on the the closed toilet seat to keep the rats,snakes and frogs out LOL. Tell me about little tricks you have to make the process easier ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 07:40 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Shut the water off at the side of your house...........floods are your biggest enemy of a dormant house.

Frogs/Rats/Snakes coming up through the toilets.........ummm wives tale. If it was true why wouldn't it happen while your living there?

Keep your airflow going. My neighbor left last summer and closed his master bedroom door, came back to mildew on the ceiling?!? Rest of the house was fine.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:36 AM

520 posts, read 869,187 times
I'm concerned about Humidity levels and mold. This house has a nest thermostat in it. I don't know yet if it has some kind of humidistat built in. What is the best solution for monitoring and adjusting humidity levels from afar. No wifi yet either.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:38 PM

85 posts, read 70,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
I'm concerned about Humidity levels and mold. This house has a nest thermostat in it. I don't know yet if it has some kind of humidistat built in. What is the best solution for monitoring and adjusting humidity levels from afar. No wifi yet either.
As others have mentioned, service your air conditioner and set your thermostat to 80. Open all internal doors to the air moves freely. That should keep the humidity down and prevent mold.

Also, empty your fridge of perishables and set it on the highest temp settings. Otherwise, you will have mold in the fridge.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:09 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl-topspin View Post
Service your A/C. Specifically, make sure your condensate line is clear. I live in Florida year round, and the second worst home disaster I've dealt with is a clogged PVC A/C line. First was leaking copper water pipes. So I think it's a good idea to turn off your water feed as previously recommended, but make sure your A/C is in good shape.

Leaking copper pipes is usually in older homes (50+ yrs)

AC lines clogged will back up into the pan but most newer units have water sensors that kills the AC so it stops producing more condensation

Old 08-26-2023, 04:16 PM

451 posts, read 456,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Shut the water off at the side of your house...........floods are your biggest enemy of a dormant house.

Frogs/Rats/Snakes coming up through the toilets.........ummm wives tale. If it was true why wouldn't it happen while your living there?

Keep your airflow going. My neighbor left last summer and closed his master bedroom door, came back to mildew on the ceiling?!? Rest of the house was fine.
I had Cuban tree frogs in the toilet. They can get in the soil stacks (drain waste vent) on the roof. I covered them with stainless screen which has worked well.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:16 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
I would think if the home has internet availability or wifi you could have a camera or two in key areas so you can check-in online to see how everything is looking.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,117 times
I would recommend hiring a home watch service. Even with an internet thermostat and cameras it good to have actual eyes once or twice a month. Over several years our home watch service caught a roof leak in the garage and another time a clog pipe on the HVAC and we were able to take care of it. It was great right Ft er Ian as well to get a report. Also I had heard somewhere as long as humidity is below, I think, 69% mold won’t grow so I’d watch the temp and humidity numbers in our Honeywell internet thermostat. Plus with cameras, we just had Blink, you know when they are in and how long.
Edit: you mentioned no wifi, you may want to check that as I discovered our service had a summer rate that took off TV and was just very basic wifi, enough so you can monitor. It was a fraction of the regular monthly cost and worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida