Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 11:42 AM

25,710 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Thank you! I will make sure to share this info. w/ everyone who used to pay $200 summer electric bills in Tampa and now pay close to $400 (or over $400 considering this record-setting hot summer in Tampa).

I'm sure this info. will make them feel much better!

Next summer I'm sure there will be more good reasons to jack up the bills to $600! Why don't we see if we can inch close to $1,000 summer electric bills???
TECO raised rates by an average of 11%. Call teco to schedule your free energy audit to find out what is going on w/ your property. Gov't utility oversight commissions don't allow the therm rates to double, so you need to dig down into your bill, AND get the energy audit.

Florida's overall cost of living ranks 24th out of 50 in 2022.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 11:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
This says TECO increased prices by an avg of 11% so it your went up 62%, somebody may be stealing electricity from you, or there's some other issue going on. Utilities don't increase rates by 62% year to year, the oversight commission won't allow that.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...%20pay%20today.

I strongly suggest calling TECO and having them do a free energy audit of your place/s to see where you are losing energy from.

You are in a unique situation, not reflective of life in the free state of Florida. Good luck!
A bad water heater will do that… Then again, that’s something someone who claims to own multiple properties should already know.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:01 PM

14,937 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
A bad water heater will do that… Then again, that’s something someone who claims to own multiple properties should already know.
Or lousy insulation, poorly sealed windows and door opening. Or poorly maintained AC or AC reaching the end of it's useful lifespan, leaking freon.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:03 PM

25,710 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
The free energy audit is the way to go. The first ultra high bill I got, I'd be calling to schedule mine the day I got that bill. I know people that had an energy audit, & they were impressed by the technology used, & made the repairs/enhancements, then their bills dropped a lot. These audits really do work if you follow through on the recommendations.

Our utilities dropped a lot when we moved from GA to FLA. We did downsize by 50% in sq ft, but our utilities bills fell by the same 50% as our square feet fell...even a bit more some months. We keep our thermostat at 77, & our home is now 5 yrs old, so very efficient.

My wife pays the bills, and is in awe at how inexpensive it is to live in Florida overall. Our groceries cost more by ~20%, so we shifted from Kroger/Publix in ATL to an Aldi/WalMart/Publix combo in GA to negate the increase.

Our property taxes increase a bit when calculated per sq. ft.. Car insurance is about the same.

I get it that not every single place in FLA is cheaper than every single place in state X or Y or Z, but when you look at the FLA state average & compare to other state averages, FLA's near the middle:

https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

FLA varies from place to place by a wide spread. Southeast FLA is by fare the most costly:

https://www.rentcafe.com/cost-of-liv...culator/us/fl/

College costs much less than most places too...FLA ranks #1 for lowest cost/best value in U.S. News & World Report.

Some people are unhappy no matter where they live, & others are pushing a hidden agenda by trying to knock all things Florida. I think readers here can spot them, after a few visits to this great forum.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:27 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Cost of living is high in California because many people want to live there.

Cost of living is high in Florida because many people want to live there.

Cost of living is high in _________ because many people want to live there.

By the way, FPL recently announced rate reductions and I haven’t touched my thermostat, so electric bill is going down. Dade County draft budget is proposing a 1% reduction in property taxes and a gas tax holiday for four months.

Rises in insurance rates suck, but insurers are pulling out of California too.

Can’t win’m all.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:37 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,187 times
Let me correct your title:

Life In Tampa...

Your welcome.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:05 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
Quote:
This says TECO increased prices by an avg of 11% so it your went up 62%, somebody may be stealing electricity from you, or there's some other issue going on. Utilities don't increase rates by 62% year to year, the oversight commission won't allow that.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...%20pay%20today.

I strongly suggest calling TECO and having them do a free energy audit of your place/s to see where you are losing energy from.

You are in a unique situation, not reflective of life in the free state of Florida. Good luck!

The only one stealing from Tampa residents is TECO. Here is my tenant's July bill for my 1750 sq foot rental property. This is now a very average
Tampa electric bill.

But hey, who said "freedom" was free???
Attached Thumbnails
Life In The Freedom State!-359737294_10159838748165888_8276059255141021007_n.jpg  

Old 07-19-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
TECO raised rates by an average of 11%. Call teco to schedule your free energy audit to find out what is going on w/ your property. Gov't utility oversight commissions don't allow the therm rates to double, so you need to dig down into your bill, AND get the energy audit.

Florida's overall cost of living ranks 24th out of 50 in 2022.

I have had countless energy audits over the past 15 years and I am insulated up to the wazoo and believe me when I tell you that among ALL of my Tampa rental properties, a $400 electric bill this July is now AVERAGE. All of my tenants are complaining about it. And so are homeowners in the neighborhoods. All you have to do is read Next Door and Facebook Tampa groups. But of course you don't do that; you just come here and make false claims.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:18 PM

Here's another bill from one of my other tenants!
Attached Thumbnails
Life In The Freedom State!-359821106_10114720729352221_5437465175251638335_n-1-.jpg  

Old 07-19-2023, 02:19 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The only one stealing from Tampa residents is TECO. Here is my tenant's July bill for my 1750 sq foot rental property. This is now a very average
Tampa electric bill.

But hey, who said "freedom" was free???
2,455 kWh in a month for a 1750 sqft home at 76 degrees????????

That's not normal. At all. Even with all appliances and TVs constantly running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida