Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2023, 04:17 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

This article details how Florida is increasingly vulnerable to flooding, and how Florida's Gulf coast is much more vulnerable than Florida's east coast to storm surges.

<<What would’ve happened if a similar Category 4 storm struck South Florida, and is your home safe? As the federal agencies and local governments reassess flood zones and incorporate new technology, data on sea-level rise and the fact that the concrete jungle doesn’t absorb as much water as the natural environment, they’ve concluded that vast swaths of South Florida — particularly inland areas — are vulnerable to crippling storm surge and flooding from rain....

Storm surge occurs when the convection of a hurricane pushes water onto land. The Gulf of Mexico, including the west coast of Florida, the Panhandle and all the way to Texas, is much more susceptible to storm surge than the East Coast, said Kait Parker, a meteorologist with IBM’s The Weather Company, which owns the Weather Channel digital properties.

That’s due to the topography of the Gulf. “It’s a very gradual incline and it’s shallow … so as that wind is continually pushing over water, it starts to move it, it starts to shove it, it starts to build up,” she said. With the gradual incline, the water builds up. The only place to escape is inland.
On the East Coast, there’s a drop-off, she said. “You have the continental shelf that goes up the East Coast.”

When a hurricane pushes water against the Atlantic shoreline, “water can circulate back down and you don’t have as much that ends up over land,” she said.>>

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/enviro...ould-have-been

The article focuses on the relative hurricane risks in southeast Florida. It explains the need for state laws and regulations to protect vulnerable areas from storm surges.

<<He said after Hurricane Andrew, Florida created a strong building code to protect against wind damage, but he said it’s now time to create a uniform coastal resilience policy to identify how to protect vulnerable storm surge locations.

The mitigation measures could involve building seawalls, infrastructure, artificial islands and mangrove environments.

“The reality is, new construction located in these storm surge areas ought to be built at an elevation that would not subject those buildings to flooding during a storm surge. We need to think about how we govern new construction.”>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 04:32 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
If a cat4 or more cane hits my home jarome it would be over rover. I am rite on the gulf and with any wind over 140 no homes in my hood would make it. All built before any codes were around. With a super CAT5 with gust to 230mph all the walls jamal would be gone as well mel. Just as well drop a nuke duke.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:16 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
If a cat4 or more cane hits my home jarome it would be over rover. I am rite on the gulf and with any wind over 140 no homes in my hood would make it. All built before any codes were around. With a super CAT5 with gust to 230mph all the walls jamal would be gone as well mel. Just as well drop a nuke duke.
My home got hit by a Cat 4 Jerome

Nary a scratch on my shutters...or my gutters

My Hurricane shutters, I did not depoly, cause I was far away, visiting 'ole Uncle Roy

Old 01-07-2023, 06:52 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
My home got hit by a Cat 4 Jerome

Nary a scratch on my shutters...or my gutters

My Hurricane shutters, I did not depoly, cause I was far away, visiting 'ole Uncle Roy
Your is newer i am sure and built better. These homes here would go in 110 or more.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:59 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Your is newer i am sure and built better. These homes here would go in 110 or more.
Ours is rated at 160 mph w/ shutters deployed, and I'm 8 miles inland on a "X" lot. No trees close enough to hit our home.

We could not have taken 1 more foot of water though, & if the wind came from the South instead of the North, I do not think we'd have done so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida