Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2022, 05:31 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are looking to move to Citrus County. We are finding a lot of homes in the Inverness, Beverly Hills, through Dunnellon corridor that seem to be to our liking. But looking for the "shady" areas to avoid if any, any areas with sinkhole problems? Flood prone areas? What should we or shouldn't we be looking out for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 06:30 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
What is your attraction to that area in particular? It seems to be a favorite for retirees on a steep budget and quite frankly offers little else. There are other options if going by home prices.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:09 AM

507 posts, read 342,902 times
Just look for high and dry properties and you won't have any worries about flooding. In Citrus I remember low lying areas by the gulf like parts of Homosassa for example would typically flood in bad storms. Also land along rivers and lakes.

The notorious higher crime section of Beverly Hills is shown on all of the crime maps - the tight grid neighborhood sometimes referred to as "the box." https://www.chronicleonline.com/news...070f58743.html

In Beverly Hills, Pine Ridge is a nice neighborhood. In Inverness I like the area around downtown but many people prefer the Highlands North (newer homes.) In Dunnellon there is a lovely neighborhood near the State Park I think it's called Country Club Estates with private access to the Rainbow River.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What is your attraction to that area in particular? It seems to be a favorite for retirees on a steep budget and quite frankly offers little else. There are other options if going by home prices.
We have family in Spring Hill and friends in Brooksville and Citrus Springs. Hate traffic so we want to stay north of 50 Weeki Wachee, etc., so we actually started looking in Crystal River. With that said, we will not buy again in a HOA, want at least an acre with elbow room. We are coming from the N. Ga. Mountains, so we were (notice the word were) used to little else. We lived in Mayberry and liked it, still do but the terrain and weather are starting to take its toll. And the growth here is reminding me of Spring Hill in the 1990's when it went through it's huge growth spurt. So country IS the attraction.....

Old 12-20-2022, 10:07 AM

507 posts, read 342,902 times
Floral City might be another town for you to check out given your preferences.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:30 PM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
We have family in Spring Hill and friends in Brooksville and Citrus Springs. Hate traffic so we want to stay north of 50 Weeki Wachee, etc., so we actually started looking in Crystal River. With that said, we will not buy again in a HOA, want at least an acre with elbow room. We are coming from the N. Ga. Mountains, so we were (notice the word were) used to little else. We lived in Mayberry and liked it, still do but the terrain and weather are starting to take its toll. And the growth here is reminding me of Spring Hill in the 1990's when it went through it's huge growth spurt. So country IS the attraction.....
I would suggest Bushnell, which is 30 minutes or less to Brooksville. It's managed to avoid the typical FL overdevelopment and is very low density. It has a small proper downtown given its the county seat (Sumter County) but has a population of only around 3200, yet still has a Walmart, Winn Dixie and CVS in town. Geographically it's flat and lacking in the predominate limestone base seen around Citrus County that is sinkhole prone.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:13 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
If I was a retiree, I wouldn't mind living in Citrus County. If you want quiet, you'll find it. Although, things are starting to get built up. But, it's way less than here in Hernando County.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:07 PM

529 posts, read 1,174,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would suggest Bushnell, which is 30 minutes or less to Brooksville. It's managed to avoid the typical FL overdevelopment and is very low density. It has a small proper downtown given its the county seat (Sumter County) but has a population of only around 3200, yet still has a Walmart, Winn Dixie and CVS in town. Geographically it's flat and lacking in the predominate limestone base seen around Citrus County that is sinkhole prone.
If you haven’t been there in a while, you might want to reconsider. The Villages have all but encircled Coleman and Sumterville. CR 471 is almost becoming unrecognizable. Perhaps TV will take a more easterly track, but Sumter County and the politics are beginning to fall in line. Bushnell may escape intact, but will be affected.

Of course, I may be wrong. It does seem well-situated for the OP.

Dax

Old 12-22-2022, 08:09 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,897 times
Citrus County is probably heading for some major growth in the next 10 years with completion of the Suncoast Parkway to Tampa. Increasingly it will be a bedroom community for Tampa metro commuters because of cheap housing.

If you want rural for the long term, you probably need to look at acreage and maybe Levy County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida