Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:26 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1991 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the different city forums and have been trying to identify the places that I should be looking to relocate to in Florida. I have spent an extensive amount of time in Miami during the summer so I am aware of the exorbitant humidity/heat/bugs and all of the potential downsides of FL summers.

My wife(27) and I (31) are looking for a place with new builds that ~20-30 minutes from a nice beach. We are expecting our first child in March '23 and are hoping to make the move to FL by years end to get ourselves prepared. Our budget for a home is around 1MM but obviously would love to spend 700-900 if possible.

So far my search has led me to Tampa (North of St. Pete dunedin, palm harbor etc), Sarasota or Naples(any of the eastern communities Taylor morrison by the islands, island walk, etc). We are not party people at all so we sort of threw out Miami due to that. What we are really looking for is to be within striking distance of a nice beach but also to have the standard suburban amenities (Costco, whole foods whatever etc etc) and a new build. Another item that might make our move a little different is that we plan on moving back to Europe in 6-7 years so the home that we purchase will eventually be transitioned to a winter residence.

Appreciate any insights from you all on this topic. I plan on taking the recommended advice and using it on a 3 week long trip where I will investigate all of the locations in person to see whether they make sense.

Best,
Nomad

I'd look around Boca Raton. The whole city is nice. Low crime. Upscale. Quiet, but with tons of amenities. Beautiful beach. Good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
As for Costco and Whole Foods, those are not as plentiful here in Florida as they are in California so your options will be limited. And they are even fewer on the West Coast of Fla. Just go to Google Maps, zero in on the beachy areas on east and west coasts with Costco/WFM locations, and focus on those.
Crazy to me that someone would base such a major life decision as where they will choose to raise their children on where the Costco is

That's truly what's important in life? Costco?

But to each their own.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:04 AM

91 posts, read 167,371 times
With a budget of about a million, and a goal of 30 miles to a nice beach, I think you could probably pick anywhere you want in the state to live and it be a good situation. Don't sleep on the school zone you'll be in if you are sending your child to public school. Many nice areas in Florida are zoned for the not so best schools. Since I'm in Brevard county and you want new, I'd check out Viera. Your million will go a lot further here than in Tampa, Miami, Ftl, ect. Boca and Jupiter would be good fits as well.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 7,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Crazy to me that someone would base such a major life decision as where they will choose to raise their children on where the Costco is

But to each their own.
I was just giving the first examples of stores that came to mind. Perhaps I should have phrased it that we would prefer not to have to drive 45 minutes to get eggs. The reason I mentioned that is I see a lot of new communities built inland but fairly distant from retail. Another item is that we plan on moving back to Europe before our kid would go to school. So the school district item would mostly be important for value retention of the home. I refreshed my search a bit and am seeing some more inventory in boca raton per the suggestions.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:25 AM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
I was just giving the first examples of stores that came to mind. Perhaps I should have phrased it that we would prefer not to have to drive 45 minutes to get eggs.
"Driving 45 minutes for eggs" is not the case anywhere in Florida's suburbia. If a new development is built, you can bet that there will be a new Publix within 5 minutes of it in no time.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
With a budget of about a million, and a goal of 30 miles to a nice beach, I think you could probably pick anywhere you want in the state to live and it be a good situation. Don't sleep on the school zone you'll be in if you are sending your child to public school. Many nice areas in Florida are zoned for the not so best schools. Since I'm in Brevard county and you want new, I'd check out Viera. Your million will go a lot further here than in Tampa, Miami, Ftl, ect. Boca and Jupiter would be good fits as well.
Thank you. I had not checked out brevard.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:46 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

But to each their own.
If you are a student of real estate, then you would know that certain retail tends to affect property values.

Proximity to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Costco (NOT PUBLIX) is usually associated with wealthier communities that will see higher home values in the future.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tra...tions-36635351

Old 08-09-2022, 09:48 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
I was just giving the first examples of stores that came to mind. Perhaps I should have phrased it that we would prefer not to have to drive 45 minutes to get eggs. The reason I mentioned that is I see a lot of new communities built inland but fairly distant from retail. Another item is that we plan on moving back to Europe before our kid would go to school. So the school district item would mostly be important for value retention of the home. I refreshed my search a bit and am seeing some more inventory in boca raton per the suggestions.
Another good choice: Educating your kids in Europe.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Another good choice: Educating your kids in Europe.
Yes. It is a combination of wanting a different education system and also we are essentially alone here so our entire family structure on both sides is in Europe. We really want our kid to be able to be around the extended family. I grew up in the US with my entire extended family back in Europe and it was tough not being able to just get up and go see them. Christmas and thanksgiving was just my parents and I!

Old 08-09-2022, 10:30 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Another thought is St. John’s County just south of Jacksonville. Loads of new construction in your price range, especially in the Nocatee development. St. John’s Town Center has every store imaginable. The St. John’s beaches are also so beautiful and relatively undeveloped too.

Another poster recommended Viera in Brevard and I think that’s worth a look too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida