Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 04:54 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
The real ? is what happens if restaurants close down. Florida needs Darden. Florida depends on Darden for its jobs. Red Lobster, Olive Garden.

MUST. SAVE. DARDEN.
The Gov will hand out money honey. Party boats will be hit hard if they can only take 7 people since the crew counts as 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
The real ? is what happens if restaurants close down. Florida needs Darden. Florida depends on Darden for its jobs. Red Lobster, Olive Garden.

MUST. SAVE. DARDEN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Buy gift cards from them, or see if they are still doing carry out. Or, buy their stock.
Darden and Bloomin’ Brands will be fine. They’re like the Walmart and Target of restaurants.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:22 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
At least some local governments are taking this virus seriously and starting to close their beaches, even if DeSantis wants to shirk his duties.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ernor-n1163741

Old 03-19-2020, 04:37 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behouse View Post
People outside of FL just made yall have the option to be at a warm beach in March
What?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
At least some local governments are taking this virus seriously and starting to close their beaches, even if DeSantis wants to shirk his duties.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ernor-n1163741

This is complete BS. DeSantis knows what he is doing. As a public service, the beaches need to stay wide, and I mean WIDE open. People need to get out there, get fresh air, sunlight, make Vitamin D, strengthen their immune systems and knock out that c-virus.

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/corona...c-509151dc8065

Old 03-19-2020, 06:54 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
This is complete BS. DeSantis knows what he is doing. As a public service, the beaches need to stay wide, and I mean WIDE open. People need to get out there, get fresh air, sunlight, make Vitamin D, strengthen their immune systems and knock out that c-virus.

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/corona...c-509151dc8065

That looks like a Russian website. I won't open it. So has DeSantis said this is his reasoning for not imposing more strict social distancing on his state? How much sunlight do customers get inside restaurants?

However, here's a link from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

The anti-viral potency of sunlight is well known, but consider that beach frolicking involves much unprotected human-to-human contact, even mouth-to-mouth, not present in medical settings or even among outdoor workers. I'm all in favor of isolated walks in the sunshine, but when we are unable to test beach frolickers for the virus, it seems the height of irresponsibility to encourage the behavior.

Hopefully, we won't be linking COVID-19 infection hot spots in the next few weeks to young persons returning from spring break in Florida.

The idea of open-air wards for COVID-19 patients is something that I would be considering, especially when building emergency hospital capacity, if governor of Florida. Even if it doesn't facilitate recovery of the patients, the sun's UV rays should protect health workers.

Of course, UVLEDs accomplish the same outcome and are being employed, but equipment is limited.

https://www.photonics.com/Articles/C..._UVLEDs/a65629

We also now have a myriad of vitamin D products available, versus likely none in 1918, except unknowingly cod liver oil. The U.S. didn't begin to fortify milk with vitamin D until the 1930s. Vitamin D only became widely understood beginning in the 1920s. Given the prominence of vitamin consumption in the U.S., I wonder if Vitamin D protects sufficiently against the COVID-19 virus. Interesting question, which I hadn't seen publicized in the U.S. for some reason.

Here's the advice of the Brits regarding the importance of Vitamin D in warding off the COVID-19 virus:

<<
During autumn and winter months, adults and children over the age of one are advised take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of Vitamin D. However, due to current measures, many of us may be going outside less often or may be in self-isolation. To ensure a healthy vitamin D status, all adults and children over the age of one should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of Vitamin D.
All babies under one year should be given a daily supplement of 8.5-10 micrograms unless they have more than 500mls of fortified formula milk.
You can also eat plenty of vitamin D rich foods, including:
  • Oily fish such as salmon, sardines, pilchards, trout, herring, kippers and eel contain reasonable amounts of vitamin D.
  • Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin D, but don’t take this if you are pregnant.
  • Egg yolk, meat, offal and milk contain small amounts, but this varies during the seasons.
  • Margarine, some breakfast cereals, infant formula and some yoghurts have added vitamin D.>>
https://www.bda.uk.com/resource/covi...al-public.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899558/

I also agree with you that there is a lot of "complete BS" being disseminated, but obviously we don't agree on what is BS and what is not.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-19-2020 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
That looks like a Russian website. I won't open it. So has DeSantis said this is his reasoning for not imposing more strict social distancing on his state? How much sunlight do customers get inside restaurants?

However, here's a link from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

The anti-viral potency of sunlight is well known, but consider that beach frolicking involves much unprotected human-to-human contact, even mouth-to-mouth, not present in medical settings or even among outdoor workers. I'm all in favor of isolated walks in the sunshine, but when we are unable to test beach frolickers for the virus, it seems the height of irresponsibility to encourage the behavior.

Hopefully, we won't be linking COVID-19 infection hot spots in the next few weeks to young persons returning from spring break in Florida.

The idea of open-air wards for COVID-19 patients is something that I would be considering, especially when building emergency hospital capacity, if governor of Florida. Even if it doesn't facilitate recovery of the patients, the sun's UV rays should protect health workers.

Of course, UVLEDs accomplish the same outcome and are being employed, but equipment is limited.

https://www.photonics.com/Articles/C..._UVLEDs/a65629

We also now have a myriad of vitamin D products available, versus likely none in 1918, except unknowingly cod liver oil. The U.S. didn't begin to fortify milk with vitamin D until the 1930s. Vitamin D only became widely understood beginning in the 1920s. Given the prominence of vitamin consumption in the U.S., I wonder if Vitamin D protects sufficiently against the COVID-19 virus. Interesting question, which I hadn't seen publicized in the U.S. for some reason.

Here's the advice of the Brits regarding the importance of Vitamin D in warding off the COVID-19 virus:

<<
During autumn and winter months, adults and children over the age of one are advised take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of Vitamin D. However, due to current measures, many of us may be going outside less often or may be in self-isolation. To ensure a healthy vitamin D status, all adults and children over the age of one should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of Vitamin D.
All babies under one year should be given a daily supplement of 8.5-10 micrograms unless they have more than 500mls of fortified formula milk.
You can also eat plenty of vitamin D rich foods, including:
  • Oily fish such as salmon, sardines, pilchards, trout, herring, kippers and eel contain reasonable amounts of vitamin D.
  • Cod liver oil contains a lot of vitamin D, but don’t take this if you are pregnant.
  • Egg yolk, meat, offal and milk contain small amounts, but this varies during the seasons.
  • Margarine, some breakfast cereals, infant formula and some yoghurts have added vitamin D.>>
https://www.bda.uk.com/resource/covi...al-public.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899558/

I also agree with you that there is a lot of "complete BS" being disseminated, but obviously we don't agree on what is BS and what is not.
Blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

What does your buddy Wanless have to say?

Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I am not getting into the debate, but Medium is a legitimate website and an American company. There are articles of many kinds and from many authors, both well known and up and coming.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I am not getting into the debate, but Medium is a legitimate website and an American company. There are articles of many kinds and from many authors, both well known and up and coming.
He was just being a jerk in order to dismiss a legitimate source and kill off any differing point of view with one of his long, labored nanny-boo-boo posts.

I'm surprised someone didn't beat the living daylights out of him during recess when he was a pup, for pointing out all their faults, but my guess is he went to school after education turned commie, recess was cancelled and every drippy little nose-picking kid got a prize.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:05 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
He was just being a jerk in order to dismiss a legitimate source and kill off any differing point of view with one of his long, labored nanny-boo-boo posts.

I'm surprised someone didn't beat the living daylights out of him during recess when he was a pup, for pointing out all their faults, but my guess is he went to school after education turned commie, recess was cancelled and every drippy little nose-picking kid got a prize.
LOL. Easy there... I believe this poster is one of the mod’s protégés or something. Don’t ask me why I think that... Explaining might get me suspended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida