Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:28 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Hey! I've been lurking around the San Diego forum and Orange County forum and remember seeing your name.

What's your budget, your requirement for a home with a boat dock will eliminate most places unless you have a high budget.
I'd be selling my company before we moved to FL, so the budget isn't much of a concern.

Within reason of course.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:42 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I'd be selling my company before we moved to FL, so the budget isn't much of a concern.

Within reason of course.
Good to know!

Based on your criteria mentioned earlier... you’ll want to stick with Southeast and Southwest Florida. Southwest will be less liberal, but then again, liberals in Florida are not the same as in California. They aren’t as extreme. Think more Clinton type, at least in my opinion.

Anyways, Southeast... check out...

Palm Beach
Delray Beach
Highland Beach
Boca Raton
Fort Lauderdale (I know you’ve been here already, but lots of nice canal homes)
Miami Area (Aventura to Miami Beach)

Southwest...

Sarasota/Siesta Key
Naples

....I prefer Delray Beach - Highland Beach - Boca Raton (especially Boca)... I like Miami too, but not sure if your budget will allow it, but you can look and see for yourself.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:33 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Here's the Florida county I live in... https://www.martin.fl.us/

If you like urban environments, south Florida is a good choice.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:32 AM

216 posts, read 327,907 times
I would also suggest Jupiter.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Here's three beach cams today... wife is there, me? I'm gonna pressure wash the driveway.

https://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/jensen/

Old 11-08-2019, 07:55 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Since you are comparing with San Diego weather, you probably need to truncate your search area at Gainsville to the North (the Panhandle is pretty chilly for extended periods in the winter. To the South, you will find Lauderdale and South pretty hot year-round.

Since you are trying to avoid the So Cal hustle and craziness, most of Florida will do, but, anything South of (and including) Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and the Keys, has its own brand of 'crazy'.

In Central Florida, the Orlando Airport is 45-miles from either coast. The Tampa Airport is near to . Florida West Coast locations, but, roads and traffic make it seem further. Similarly, entertainment venues of Tampa and Orlando are equally accessible. (Pro sports, big names, some theater, etc).

Most of Florida offers picturesque waterfront and docks (even the canal areas), but, if you are looking for quick, easy ocean access, some areas between Vero to Lauderdale might be better.

Likewise, you can buy great waterfront homes at high prices throughout Florida, but, in terms of a truly upscale, general lifestyle, you are likely thinking about the Vero Beach, Boca Raton (E. Coast) or Marco Island, Tampa areas (W. Coast areas).

Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since you are comparing with San Diego weather, you probably need to truncate your search area at Gainsville to the North (the Panhandle is pretty chilly for extended periods in the winter. To the South, you will find Lauderdale and South pretty hot year-round.

Since you are trying to avoid the So Cal hustle and craziness, most of Florida will do, but, anything South of (and including) Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and the Keys, has its own brand of 'crazy'.

In Central Florida, the Orlando Airport is 45-miles from either coast. The Tampa Airport is near to . Florida West Coast locations, but, roads and traffic make it seem further. Similarly, entertainment venues of Tampa and Orlando are equally accessible. (Pro sports, big names, some theater, etc).

Most of Florida offers picturesque waterfront and docks (even the canal areas), but, if you are looking for quick, easy ocean access, some areas between Vero to Lauderdale might be better.

Likewise, you can buy great waterfront homes at high prices throughout Florida, but, in terms of a truly upscale, general lifestyle, you are likely thinking about the Vero Beach, Boca Raton (E. Coast) or Marco Island, Tampa areas (W. Coast areas).
My wife and I looked in those areas but chose the east Coast south Volusia County as it reminded us more of the OC/SD area where I grew up and lived for decades.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:01 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Good to know!

Based on your criteria mentioned earlier... you’ll want to stick with Southeast and Southwest Florida. Southwest will be less liberal, but then again, liberals in Florida are not the same as in California. They aren’t as extreme. Think more Clinton type, at least in my opinion.

Anyways, Southeast... check out...

Palm Beach
Delray Beach
Highland Beach
Boca Raton
Fort Lauderdale (I know you’ve been here already, but lots of nice canal homes)
Miami Area (Aventura to Miami Beach)

Southwest...

Sarasota/Siesta Key
Naples

....I prefer Delray Beach - Highland Beach - Boca Raton (especially Boca)... I like Miami too, but not sure if your budget will allow it, but you can look and see for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
I would also suggest Jupiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Great detailed info. Thank you all very much.

I talked to an associate who's from Florida, and asked him for his opinion given the same set of parameters, and he said Naples to Tampa on the west coast or Boca to Stuart. South of Boca is too congested he said.

Anybody care to give an opinion between the differences between East coast vs West coast of Florida. Broad strokes, stereotypes, types of people, etc... I'm not PC in any way, so fire away.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Great detailed info. Thank you all very much.

I talked to an associate who's from Florida, and asked him for his opinion given the same set of parameters, and he said Naples to Tampa on the west coast or Boca to Stuart. South of Boca is too congested he said.

Anybody care to give an opinion between the differences between East coast vs West coast of Florida. Broad strokes, stereotypes, types of people, etc... I'm not PC in any way, so fire away.

You're welcome, I guess it depends on what you consider congested. You mentioned you want good restaurants, shopping, etc. You won't find that in the small towns on the coast North of Jupiter until you get to Jacksonville. Areas like Delray Beach, Highland Beach and Boca Raton are not big cities and they aren't in the middle of nowhere either, easy access to West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

West vs East...

Southwest Coast is old White retirees especially around Naples, where time doesn't change...

Southeast Coast is more mainstream America, lots of people from the NE, variety of ages and colors, this is where all the cool new things get built or expand to...

Just my opinion anyways lol

Old 11-09-2019, 12:31 AM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Quote:
You mentioned you want good restaurants, shopping, etc. You won't find that in the small towns on the coast North of Jupiter until you get to Jacksonville.
This isn't true with respect to restaurants. The Stuart/Palm City/Jensen Beach area have a good variety of upscale restaurants. However, the closest upscale shopping mall would be in Palm Beach Gardens, about 40 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida