Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:04 PM

129 posts, read 129,104 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Florida. I own part of a New York business (S-corp), also receive salary. If I become a full time Florida resident, is my salary and/or K-1 profit taxed in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 05:15 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,014 times
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...s-how-to-leave

Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Thanks, but I'm not looking to maintain any residence in NY. I would be 100% Florida, but earning income from a NY company.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo1 View Post
Thanks, but I'm not looking to maintain any residence in NY. I would be 100% Florida, but earning income from a NY company.
“Geoffrey Weinstein, special counsel in the Tax, Trusts & Estates Department of Cole Schotz, told FOX Business that it’s “very hard to fake” a change of domicile because states put the burden of proof entirely on the taxpayer – and the criteria can be very particular.”

Check with your accountant and attorney.

Good luck trying to slip NY’s grip

Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
“Geoffrey Weinstein, special counsel in the Tax, Trusts & Estates Department of Cole Schotz, told FOX Business that it’s “very hard to fake” a change of domicile because states put the burden of proof entirely on the taxpayer – and the criteria can be very particular.”

Check with your accountant and attorney.

Good luck trying to slip NY’s grip
Again, I'm not trying to fake anything. No burden of proof needed. Selling my house in NY, moving to FL and living there 365 days a year.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 PM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Seek legal help here in Florida. Maybe talk to a CPA too that has experience with lots of S-Corp clients. I'd ask the local Chamber of Commerce for help finding professional advice. This is too important to take advice on this forum.

I moved from Georgia, and own an S-Corp too. I just reincorporated it in Florida. Weird thing here in Florida is that you must use your home address if you act as your own registered agent. That was instituted to control crooked home repair contractors who flooded storm damaged areas and fleeced homeowners.

I live in a gated community and my business has almost zero eposure from people being able to find out where I live. I own a B2B not a B2C, and most of my biz is repeat happy clients from all across the USA and Canada, and I pay my suppliers fast, so no worries there either. If I owned a B2C, or if I had lots of local clients, I would have hired a registered agent to try to keep my home address out of the public record, if that is even possible here. Mostly because I wouldn't want my clients to know the value of my home.

I tried to find a law firm to set up the new S-Corp, but had no luck. I wound up going online and doing it all myself. It wasn't that tough, but you must have a home address, and not just a business address. I rented for 1 year before I bought, so I delayed transfering the business until I had the address of our newly built home.

Also, I read it was best NOT to dissolve my Georgia S-Corp for at least 1 year after establishing the Florida S-Corp. I dont recall why, and it might not pertain to New York, but ask the lawyer you hire about that. I kept the same Federal ID #, and company name, so it was just an address change. That made things easier too.

Keep in mind that if you have more than 2 employees, Florida may require you to carry liability insurance, and possibly workmans comp. Ask about that too.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Seek legal help here in Florida. Maybe talk to a CPA too that has experience with lots of S-Corp clients. I'd ask the local Chamber of Commerce for help finding professional advice. This is too important to take advice on this forum.

I moved from Georgia, and own an S-Corp too. I just reincorporated it in Florida. Weird thing here in Florida is that you must use your home address if you act as your own registered agent. That was instituted to control crooked home repair contractors who flooded storm damaged areas and fleeced homeowners.

I live in a gated community and my business has almost zero eposure from people being able to find out where I live. I own a B2B not a B2C, and most of my biz is repeat happy clients from all across the USA and Canada, and I pay my suppliers fast, so no worries there either. If I owned a B2C, or if I had lots of local clients, I would have hired a registered agent to try to keep my home address out of the public record, if that is even possible here. Mostly because I wouldn't want my clients to know the value of my home.

I tried to find a law firm to set up the new S-Corp, but had no luck. I wound up going online and doing it all myself. It wasn't that tough, but you must have a home address, and not just a business address. I rented for 1 year before I bought, so I delayed transfering the business until I had the address of our newly built home.

Also, I read it was best NOT to dissolve my Georgia S-Corp for at least 1 year after establishing the Florida S-Corp. I dont recall why, and it might not pertain to New York, but ask the lawyer you hire about that. I kept the same Federal ID #, and company name, so it was just an address change. That made things easier too.

Keep in mind that if you have more than 2 employees, Florida may require you to carry liability insurance, and possibly workmans comp. Ask about that too.

Good luck!
Thanks. I don't intend to move or change my S-corp for various reasons. There are other people involved with the company who will still be in NY.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Ok, I have the answer from my CPA. As long as it's a NY corp with a NY office, the income will be taxed in NY because it is NY sourced and there is NY nexus. I would need to reincorporate in FL and drop the NY office. Which is a whole different set of issues.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:20 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Ok, I have the answer from my CPA. As long as it's a NY corp with a NY office, the income will be taxed in NY because it is NY sourced and there is NY nexus. I would need to reincorporate in FL and drop the NY office. Which is a whole different set of issues.
I am dealing with a similar issue with CA due to having 2 S Corps there.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Glad you checked. I had a feeling NY will want to hold you hostage to get your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida