Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:52 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times

Advertisements

I'm doing my part....but it's a constant battle....looks like F&W finally woke up..this isn't entirely true, you can also kill iguanas on your neighbors, or anyone else's property, if they give you permission to do it
=================

JUL 02, 2019

Florida wildlife services wants iguanas dead, urges residents to kill them ‘whenever possible’

The green iguana population is growing exponentially in Florida — and the state’s Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission wants them dead.

“Homeowners do not need a permit to kill iguanas on their own property, and the FWC encourages homeowners to kill green iguanas on their own property whenever possible,” a notice the commission’s website reads.

“They will destroy agriculture, undermine roads, cause electrical transformers to fail. They can transmit salmonella and can be a FAA safety hazard," University of Florida wildlife scientist Joseph Wasilewski told ABC News.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...dqi-story.html

=========
Not just salmonella....which they leave every place they go....that can put you in the hosp or grave
Botulism...which can be deadly
Campylobacteriosis
Leptospirosis

Last edited by Corrie22; 07-03-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 08:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
There are a number of invasive, non-native species that Fla. Wildlife, among others, would love to see eradicated, but, that's easier said than done. Look at what is happening with the Python/Boa explosion in the everglades, or with Lion Fish on the coral reefs, or Carp imported to eat waterway plants ... and a dozen other examples.

It seems like every time people try to 'fix nature by changing nature' (or simply release exotic species into a non-native habitat in the wild) it doesn't turn-out well.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Let's release king cobras in the wild. They'll take care of the iguana eggs.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:16 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Those grass carp are really something. The first time I saw one I couldn’t imagine what it was (aside from it being a fish).

It was in a residential retention pond and was at least 4’ long.

Anyway, I hope there won’t be too many idiots using this as an excuse to torture the animals. It’s not their fault they’re here.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,288 times
All invasive species need to be reduced, may be too late to eradicate but depopulation is warranted

Old 07-03-2019, 05:25 PM

38 posts, read 33,182 times
I actually like seeing them in the wild, really adds to the aesthetics of South Florida. Too bad they can't just be caught and sold off/given away as pets to people in other parts of the country. Seems a bit cruel to start just slaughtering them off.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalExpress View Post
I actually like seeing them in the wild, really adds to the aesthetics of South Florida. Too bad they can't just be caught and sold off/given away as pets to people in other parts of the country. Seems a bit cruel to start just slaughtering them off.
In South America they are a dinner staple.

You can buy exotic meats including Iguana in the USA from many retailers for example
https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/

Maybe you can harvest enough Iguanas to be their supplier

Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 PM

1,291 posts, read 176,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post

You can buy exotic meats including Iguana in the USA from many retailers for example

Apparently, they're known as Pollo de los Arboles, or Chicken of the Trees, in the Caribbean. They contain more protein than chicken. I'd be game to try some. Throw another iguana on the barbie for me.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
I guess we are lucky, no iguanas here But we have more Cuban anoles than native green anoles. And we have Mediterranean geckos. We also have armadillos in our area. All the snakes we see are natives. No exotic turtles either just native Florida box turtles and the native gopher tortoise.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post

Yeah my family (from Guyana) said they used to hunt them, and not only eat the meat, but also the eggs. Apparently, they were the tastiest eggs they could find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida