Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can someone contact me to join this "shill" thing? I'd like to get paid to bash companies please.

(sarcasm)
Some of these Publix bashing posts are hilarious though. Someone like Sinatras, who merely voices an honest opinion about the stores, doesn’t raise eyebrows. But others complaining about everything from deli sandwiches to soups are quite ridiculous, and sound like juvenile pre-pubescent rants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Some of these Publix bashing posts are hilarious though. Someone like Sinatras, who merely voices an honest opinion about the stores, doesn’t raise eyebrows. But others complaining about everything from deli sandwiches to soups are quite ridiculous, and sound like juvenile pre-pubescent rants.
I mean at the end of the day it’s just groceries. If I want a speciality item or a nicer cut of meat I’ll just make the trip to Whole Foods.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The only thing that can/will change Publix is via direct market-share competition from another conventional grocer moving in from out of state. For awhile there were whispers of Kroger being that company but that has seemingly fizzled. The only other besides Kroger that could match Publix head to head is Wegmans which offers some hope of expansion in the future given they're opening in NC this year, where Publix has already begun to establish itself. If Wegmans can win that battle or match up evenly in NC, I would bet they would take a long/hard look at Florida for future expansion.
While many are predicting a winner between Wegmans and Publix in NC and VA, some are predicting that Wegmans and Publix might be the only stores left after a while.

https://www.retailwire.com/discussio...mpete-head-on/

Publix has competed against every store that has recently entered Florida in other states, including its long-term co-existence with Kroger in nearly all non-Florida markets. And saying as in the past that Kroger hasn't truly challenged Publix on its home turf would be like saying that a football team has a better chance of beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa than at a neutral site.

Lucky's Market is likely the only exception on prior competes. I do agree that a store that doesn't currently operate in the southeast might have a better chance at besting Publix than simply out-of-state, since southern stores apparently aren't good enough. That's why I was disappointed when Bi-Lo (formerly of South Carolina) bought Winn-Dixie. Do you know how Publix entered Charlotte? Buying Bi-Lo out of several of its locations there... Perhaps Lowe's Foods (NC) is a southern store that could do well? Rouse's (LA) is looking at the Panhandle. Both currently compete against Publix in AL (Rouse's) and NC/SC (Lowe's). I've never been to Lowe's, but it looks like a conventional grocery store down the aisles with a specialty-store style perimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Another Publix bashing thread?

What is the big controversy, except paid shrills masquerading as posters?
I thought the claims of paid shills were hogwash until I heard the lady behind FoodBabe interviewed by people I trust. I don't follow her, but she said that there would be an influx of negative comments on any story or blog post published about her, which were later found to be shills from food manufacturers that are hired to post on blogs, forums, etc.. One supposedly independent professor presented as the "other side" in a news segment about her was later discovered through Canada's version of Freedom of Information Act to be receiving payments from the food industry. So maybe it's real in this case or maybe it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why Publix doesn't have organic pork.
Or gas stations.
Like so many other grocers in America.
They've been there and done that on gas. They (along with Winn-Dixie) tried it in 2001 and Publix dumped it in 2013.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...191-story.html
https://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers...enience-stores

They were one of the first to offer online grocery orders (similar to H-E-B as opposed to the common InstaCart/Shipt thing with a lot of stores) in 2001. It didn't catch on. Maybe too early? Timing is everything.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 PM

31 posts, read 112,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can someone contact me to join this "shill" thing? I'd like to get paid to bash companies please.

(sarcasm)
The people who sit on here and defend Publix on everything are mostly Shareholders who worked there many years, and receive massive dividend checks (nothing wrong with that), and many live off their divie checks, so they will defend Publix to the grave, as for many of these types, their livelihood depends on it and they don't see things objectively. If you say anything critical about their Publix, you are labeled a "shill" or a "paid shill."

As far as the presentation, I agree with the poster who said it's a generic grocery store with overpriced products and goods, and above average customer service. The Publix Brand products are NOT Cheap anymore, Great Value has them beat across the board. You used to be able to buy Publix Gallon waters for $.25, and now they are $.86 for a Gallon of water! Nothing is hardly cheap in Publix anymore- $4.00 for a small cup of Deli Soup that costed $2.50 just a couple years ago. The Chicken meals in the Deli with the old stale sides are now around $8.00 without a drink. The wax paper lunch meat "Pub Sub" is around $9 with the same exact toppings as Subway, and by the time you get a drink or add chips you're over $10. Sorry for $10 I can go out to a restaurant and get a real meal...or I can just make the sandwich myself.

Publix has not madly succeeded outside of Florida - they have Failed to make any major impact in Alabama, South Carolina, and Tennessee. They have jumped into Atlanta and done well, but not for the rest of Georgia. With that said, Florida is their bread and butter and the 3rd largest population.

For prices, Trader Joes, Walmart, and Kroger have them beat at the majority of products. If you want higher end, Earthfare and Whole Foods has better quality ingredients. The Publix "BOGOs" are raised up in price, so it's really like a "BUY ONE, get the second for half off" when you weigh it all out.

Publix is just like a HIGHER priced generic grocery store, and that I think is the problem most people have with it. In Florida they've cornered a lot of markets, and when they knocked off SweetBay the prices went up AGAIN! Publix also jacks up prices in specific locations when they know the next competitor is 5 miles away and you have to drive by 2 Publix stores to get there. I do have to say, I like Publix ice cream- it's original and they make it in their dairy plant in Lakeland-

Last edited by UF_john; 05-01-2019 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF_john View Post
When you are in Florida, many people rave about how great Publix is, but it's really not that great. They charge you almost 40% more than what you'll pay in most other states' major grocery stores. Their "Buy One Get Ones" are not really deals because they charge you more for the first product than you would pay in most places. I understand people like the presentation, they point you to the products, and for seniors the fact that they push the groceries out to the car and are programmed by management to say "It's my Pleasure," but it's not worth the extra 40% you pay for your grocery bill for most people. They charge you $4.00 for a cup of "fresh" soup that's been sitting in a pan most of the day. The Publix brand drinks have skyrocketed from 79 cents a couple years ago to $1.19. The grab and go subs that used to be $3.50 are mostly all bread are now all over $5. The sides in the deli are sitting stale, and other than the chicken, you see the same mac and cheese sitting there all day. They want you to spend $10 in the deli for one meal when you can easily go out to eat somewhere other than the grocery store deli. Their workers look exhausted and overwhelmed. In Florida, they rave about the Publix Store Subs, which are like Subway with better bread and they charge you $9 for a "Boars Head Meat" sub that you can make on your own at home very easily. Nobody cares about the Publix subs outside of Florida (it's like a Florida cult thing to say you ate a Grocery Store sub). Publix has not taken off in other states like it has in Florida for these very same reasons. Besides the extra customer service that benefits seniors, most other states see that the products are very overpriced. They raise all the prices for their stockholders. Publix thrives in Florida because it has a Monopoly in many markets. It buys the best locations and gobbles up the marketshare in many areas of Florida. They make a boatload of money off vacationers, especially in places like Orlando with higher prices. I don't blame them for being smart and aggressive businessmen, but they really try to force people into their Florida stores when they need to get 1 or 2 things quickly by cornering the market. We are starting to see Trader Joe's and Aldi's come into the state, and Walmart also is a very popular competitor.
Publix is what it is. Whatever it does, it remains in operation, gains customers, opens additional stores, expands into new markets, and grows.

If you want the opposite of Publix, you can find Winn-Dixie if it still has stores, still has what you need, and has high prices you can afford.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Eh... They’re huge in Atlanta. And pretty much everywhere they’ve expanded. Not sure why the rant. Don’t like them? Shop elsewhere. You have options.

Their prices are fine. I don’t find them to be any higher overall than non-bulk stores.

Publix excels at what it sets out to be: being a great, standard, no frills grocery store. It’s not competing against Aldi, nor is it competing against Whole Foods. It competes against Safeway, and IMO, is a substantially better store in general.

By the way, Walmart is not a Publix competitor.
Walmart is a competitor of Publix.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
While many are predicting a winner between Wegmans and Publix in NC and VA, some are predicting that Wegmans and Publix might be the only stores left after a while.

https://www.retailwire.com/discussio...mpete-head-on/

Publix has competed against every store that has recently entered Florida in other states, including its long-term co-existence with Kroger in nearly all non-Florida markets. And saying as in the past that Kroger hasn't truly challenged Publix on its home turf would be like saying that a football team has a better chance of beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa than at a neutral site.

Lucky's Market is likely the only exception on prior competes. I do agree that a store that doesn't currently operate in the southeast might have a better chance at besting Publix than simply out-of-state, since southern stores apparently aren't good enough. That's why I was disappointed when Bi-Lo (formerly of South Carolina) bought Winn-Dixie. Do you know how Publix entered Charlotte? Buying Bi-Lo out of several of its locations there... Perhaps Lowe's Foods (NC) is a southern store that could do well? Rouse's (LA) is looking at the Panhandle. Both currently compete against Publix in AL (Rouse's) and NC/SC (Lowe's). I've never been to Lowe's, but it looks like a conventional grocery store down the aisles with a specialty-store style perimeter.

Lowe's Foods failed in the Charlotte, North Carolina, area. It has opened new stores in South Carolina and North Carolina. It lags behind Harris Teeter and Publix. Its store locations could be acquisition targets.

Southeastern Grocers (BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's and Winn-Dixie) is a disaster. It has closed store locations. It will continue to close store locations and exit markets as needed. I do not see BI-LO and Winn-Dixie being around in five years.

Rouse's may challenge Publix to expand into Mississippi and Louisiana.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walmart is a competitor of Publix.
Yes and no. It's an apples to apples comparison in that they sell the many of the same items, but ends there in terms of store footprint and more importantly demographics. Publix is a traditional supermarket and within it's home market of Florida (the 3rd most populated state) has just Winn-Dixie as a category competitor.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
More on Kroger, who apparently has not given up on expansion into Florida. They own a share of Lucky's and this e-commerce partnership with Ocado presents an instant foothold for store distribution in a centralized location. https://www.supermarketnews.com/onli...ated-warehouse

Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Publix is not overrated at all. They stick to doing the basics well and do it at a very consistent level across the board.

Overrated is thinking since a grocery store offers gimmicks or gas it's better than one that makes shopping a pleasure.

To be honest I get my staples at Aldi because of price and quality for the price. We supplement items at Publix or Winn-Dixie that Aldi doesn't carry. On the rare occasion we want something really different off to Whole Foods, Lucky's, or TJ's we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida