Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
You are correct......The Conservative SCOTUS has not heard a case because they throw it out instead of hearing it. There have been several cases that tried over the years with the seven or so states that have bans as well as several cities but they choose not to hear it....Wonder why????
Sounds like a 10th amendment (non) issue to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM

294 posts, read 233,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You do know that when the founding fathers were alive you could own any gun or canon?

Today it is vastly different, but in reality the original law meant in effect any person could own any weapon period.

What will happen? The real results will not be based on gun control but people control, and people are out of control today. The culture is getting more and more violent and self centered.

50 years ago people could drive around with several guns in the back window of their trucks, even park at schools, including students and .... no shootings like today. It is the culture.
Cultures change and rules need to change with it.

Remember when children were dying in refrigerators.............rules were changed to make doors open from the inside.

Remember when auto deaths were sky high........rules were changed to require seat belts.

Remember when a nutjob made a fertilizer bomb and used it in OKC...........rules were changed to make it harder to buy ammonium nitrate.

Remember when a nutjob tried to blow up an airplane with a shoe bomb..........now we have to remove shoes at the airport.

Remember when nutjobs used assault guns to kill people at concerts, churches and schools........we tried to use thoughts and prayers to make it stop but for some reason it has not.

Banning assault guns is not an infringement of the Second Amendment

Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 PM

113 posts, read 141,906 times
Quote:
I support the Second Amendment and disagree with those who want to ban all guns. However I do support a assault weapon ban. This is not a Second Amendment right. If it was the Supreme Court would have overturned those states that have enacted assault weapons. The majority conservative court refused to hear such cases saying cities and states have that right. Of course people can go to adjoining states and still purchase these weapons which is why a federal ban is needed. Does anyone really think the founding fathers would approve of such guns that serve no purpose other than killing in mass.
No such thing as assault weapons. This term was made up by the media! AR-15 is short for ArmaLite-15 the original manufacturer of the weapon. Yes it is a 2nd Amendment issue. No they can not purchase them legally in adjoining states as the FFL must follow the laws of the State that the purchaser lives in. Let's ban cars because DUI's kill a lot me people than firearms! The real problem is the person using the firearm, not the firearm! Don't forget, what all these murderers did was illegal! Did it stop them NO! You want to stop the killing, start with mental health care, start with the parents, start with society. DUI's kill more than firearms!

Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Again if it was truly a Second Amendment issue the SCOTUS would have heard one of the cases by now.

I find it strange that the same people that support assault......sorry I mean guns that shoot super fast and have no purpose other than killing people.....are the same people that say its mental health but are the ones that want to gut insurance programs that would address it more. The same people that passed a bill allowing easier access to guns for those with mental issues and for those on the no fly list. It all makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM

233 posts, read 172,538 times
Quote:
Again if it was truly a Second Amendment issue the SCOTUS would have heard one of the cases by now.
It is a second amendment issue. What the states pass is held to a different standard than what the Federal government can pass for obvious reasons.

Quote:
I find it strange that the same people that support assault......sorry I mean guns that shoot super fast and have no purpose other than killing people.....are the same people that say its mental health but are the ones that want to gut insurance programs that would address it more. The same people that passed a bill allowing easier access to guns for those with mental issues and for those on the no fly list. It all makes no sense.
It's a mental health issue, but people who did no crime (but may have some mental health problems) shouldn't be denied their 2nd amendment rights to buy a firearm. To me it makes perfect sense.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
It is a second amendment issue. What the states pass is held to a different standard than what the Federal government can pass for obvious reasons.

It's a mental health issue, but people who did no crime (but may have some mental health problems) shouldn't be denied their 2nd amendment rights to buy a firearm. To me it makes perfect sense.
Wow.....you just described almost all of the shooters I can think of........Colorado, Texas church, Sandy Hook, the Florida 3, Las Vegas and on and on............I can not think of any that had a criminal background.
If that's perfect sense...........I give up. I guess all one can hope for is a blue wave in November.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Wow.....you just described almost all of the shooters I can think of........Colorado, Texas church, Sandy Hook, the Florida 3, Las Vegas and on and on............I can not think of any that had a criminal background.
If that's perfect sense...........I give up. I guess all one can hope for is a blue wave in November.
Hindsight is 20-20. No one knew the Las Vegas shooter had any mental problems until he shot up the concert. Even if we were to ban guns to everyone with mental health problems (which is vague in of itself) he would have fallen through the cracks as would the Pulse nightclub shooter. The Sandy Hook shooter stole his mother's guns, again he would not have been stopped. Even the Parkland shooter - he was expelled from school, but I don't see any convincing record he was diagnosed with mental problems.

The point of law is not to stop all crime but also to be fair to law abiding citizens. The vast majority of people with a diagnosed mental condition can own guns without committing mass shootings. You're indeed demagoguing.

But the purpose is to ban all firearms, and it's to be done incrementally.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpafr012 View Post
No such thing as assault weapons. This term was made up by the media! AR-15 is short for ArmaLite-15 the original manufacturer of the weapon. Yes it is a 2nd Amendment issue. No they can not purchase them legally in adjoining states as the FFL must follow the laws of the State that the purchaser lives in. Let's ban cars because DUI's kill a lot me people than firearms! The real problem is the person using the firearm, not the firearm! Don't forget, what all these murderers did was illegal! Did it stop them NO! You want to stop the killing, start with mental health care, start with the parents, start with society. DUI's kill more than firearms!
Duis don't kill 17-54 people at once

Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Duis don't kill 17-54 people at once
Everyday 30 people die in a drunk driving collision. That's far more people than die in mass shootings. If you're worried about your child, they're far more likely to be run over by a drunk driver on their way to school than to be killed in a mass shooting.

Just like people love to point out that places that banned guns like UK,Japan and Australia have negligible school shootings (and homicide by gun) places that banned alcohol like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar have negligible deaths by drunk driving.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum87 View Post
Everyday 30 people die in a drunk driving collision. That's far more people than die in mass shootings. If you're worried about your child, they're far more likely to be run over by a drunk driver on their way to school than to be killed in a mass shooting.

Just like people love to point out that places that banned guns like UK,Japan and Australia have negligible school shootings (and homicide by gun) places that banned alcohol like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Qatar have negligible deaths by drunk driving.
So maybe ban them both lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida