Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,252 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in North West VA. Very pretty here, but between the cruddy people and the (complete lack of things to do) I/ we hate it here. We have a little girl that's just over a year old, when she gets older (there is nothing for kids to do here except VAPE, drink and get in trouble). I know because I grew up here partially when I was young, and nothing has changed.

So we are looking at a few places, these include (Dallas FW/ Austin Texas, Charlotte/ Raleigh North Carolina, or Tampa or Melbourne Florida).

What are we looking for:

1. Gun Friendly (I refuse to rely on the Police to protect me)
2. Veteran Friendly (I've heard that Texas and NC are among the most veteran friendly states)
3. Semi Decent Colleges and Universities (I will be continuing my Engineering Degree, so that's important)
4. Good Schools for Children and Teenagers
5. Semi Cheap Housing/ Not looking to spend 200k on a teeny tiny house
6. This may sound weird but some place with a (Russian Community) not like little Odessa or Brighten Beach in NY, but an area that has a decent population of Russians or even Greeks (Orthodox Churches etc).

Each of the states were looking into, we have watched videos on and they all seem great. They have: Shooting, Hunting, Strong Veterans Support Groups, Lakes, Parasailing, Sky Diving, Scuba Diving, Trails, Parks, Zoo's, you name it.

Have any of you ever lived in any of these places? If so how did you like it? What were the pro's and cons? Are there some places that maybe we should look into?

I really appreciate it, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,689,273 times
I've lived in all of these states. More specifically, I've lived in Austin, Sarasota, and currently live in Raleigh.

1. All of these places are gun friendly.
2. Not sure about veteran friendliness.
3. Best colleges and universities are going to be in the Raleigh area. That's what this area is known for.
4. I don't have children, but if I did, I'd want to raise them in Raleigh.
5. $200K doesn't get you anything in Austin. It can get a fairly decent place outside of Raleigh and are open to townhouses/condos. Tampa will have some decent housing for $200K.
6. I hear Miami has a lot of Russians. Not really sure if Raleigh or Austin have large concentrations of them.

Keep in mind, Austin is not a coastal city, Raleigh is 2 hours from the coast, and most cities in FL will be an easy drive to some of the best beaches in the country.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,476,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BB4 View Post
Currently I live in North West VA. Very pretty here, but between the cruddy people and the (complete lack of things to do) I/ we hate it here. We have a little girl that's just over a year old, when she gets older (there is nothing for kids to do here except VAPE, drink and get in trouble). I know because I grew up here partially when I was young, and nothing has changed.

So we are looking at a few places, these include (Dallas FW/ Austin Texas, Charlotte/ Raleigh North Carolina, or Tampa or Melbourne Florida).

What are we looking for:

1. Gun Friendly (I refuse to rely on the Police to protect me)
2. Veteran Friendly (I've heard that Texas and NC are among the most veteran friendly states)
3. Semi Decent Colleges and Universities (I will be continuing my Engineering Degree, so that's important)
4. Good Schools for Children and Teenagers
5. Semi Cheap Housing/ Not looking to spend 200k on a teeny tiny house
6. This may sound weird but some place with a (Russian Community) not like little Odessa or Brighten Beach in NY, but an area that has a decent population of Russians or even Greeks (Orthodox Churches etc).

Each of the states were looking into, we have watched videos on and they all seem great. They have: Shooting, Hunting, Strong Veterans Support Groups, Lakes, Parasailing, Sky Diving, Scuba Diving, Trails, Parks, Zoo's, you name it.

Have any of you ever lived in any of these places? If so how did you like it? What were the pro's and cons? Are there some places that maybe we should look into?

I really appreciate it, thank you
I have lived in TX and NC (Outer banks) and am moving to FL. I would look at FL as it has what you are looking for, just have to narrow down other things of interest in the State. I picked the Central East Coast after several years of visiting and searching. I do NOT like crowding.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,296,329 times
#5 200K - Spend it on some land and a trailer and live semi off the grid and away from restrictive HOAs so you can shoot your guns.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 PM

511 posts, read 525,469 times
Cassadaga fits what you are looking for. All of northeast of orlando has a high presence of russians. Go a little farther ouy, like cassadaga, you get a little more rural, qnd can have fun with you guns. Plus ucf is a quick shot down I4

Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,252 times
I appreciate it. I plan on looking into it. I love doing the Long Distance Precision Shooting thing, and love the beach. Seems to be a tall order these days lol.

Some others have PM'd me and I've heard that the Melbourne Beach area is good as well. Quiet, good schools not too far. The Russian community is not an absolute MUST, but definitely a plus (mostly for the Orthodox Churches).

I heard that Texas has the jobs, but that Florida does not have too many. Not sure. Anyways, thanks for the comments and input thus far everyone. Continued input is sincerely appreciated, thanks again.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,155,296 times
Tallahassee

Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,447,902 times
you aint gona find cheap houses in Austin.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:41 AM

17,580 posts, read 39,275,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BB4 View Post

I heard that Texas has the jobs, but that Florida does not have too many. Not sure. Anyways, thanks for the comments and input thus far everyone. Continued input is sincerely appreciated, thanks again.
What kind of jobs???

Old 01-26-2018, 06:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,153,539 times
If pursuing an engineering degree, Austin has UT and NC has research triangle. You should also think about wether your course credits will transfer and if you move you will loose in state tuition.

Consider staying put until you graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida