Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Are all these pools really a good idea, though? It would be interesting to see a study on how many of these pools are really used and how often, etc. It seems to me that many people have pools that are hardly ever used, resulting in a tremendous waste of water, energy and other resources. Especially for people who live in a HOA that has a community pool, but insist on having their own private pool. When I was a kid up north we had neighborhoods that had a pool that opened for the summer months, with a lifeguard. Later on my parents joined a club with a pool that we used on the weekends, it was a great way to meet people and make friends.

Don't get me wrong, there are times I wish I had my own private pool, but it's not like I would use it enough to justify the expense and resources used. Just because someone can have a pool, should they? I think most people would say yes, that they need it or deserve it or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
yup, some people prophylactically cut a screen sometimes, to let the wind through easier, not sure if that works or is a myth
Myth with today’s cages. If a screen goes, let it go on its own.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Are all these pools really a good idea, though? It would be interesting to see a study on how many of these pools are really used and how often, etc. It seems to me that many people have pools that are hardly ever used, resulting in a tremendous waste of water, energy and other resources. Especially for people who live in a HOA that has a community pool, but insist on having their own private pool. When I was a kid up north we had neighborhoods that had a pool that opened for the summer months, with a lifeguard. Later on my parents joined a club with a pool that we used on the weekends, it was a great way to meet people and make friends.

Don't get me wrong, there are times I wish I had my own private pool, but it's not like I would use it enough to justify the expense and resources used. Just because someone can have a pool, should they? I think most people would say yes, that they need it or deserve it or something.
Our street ends at A1A and with only a beach (no buildings) on the east side of A1A and a few neighbors have pools. Some of our neighbors with pools post pics of their small kids in the pool. Sometimes a pool is friendlier than the beach for small kids. This hurricane season in particular, there have been less than 10 days since Irma that a red flag (for rip currents) hasn't been flying at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: