Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,308 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Gulf Shores, AL. Since my Grandmother moved to Foley in 1969 this was the beach I went to as a child, teenage and into adulthood. It WAS a nice, quiet, slow paced and peaceful place to go. I wound up here by fluke three years ago and by personal circumstances I won't go into it looks like I'll have to remain here. However, while I'm here on the coast I'd like to take advantage of the beach. It would be a bit of a drive but how is Navarre Beach? Highway 399? Is it quiet, peaceful? A place where I can park my beach towel and cooler (Gatorade & water, not booze) and enjoy the sea breeze and gentle sound of crashing waves? Or is the entire Emerald Coast from Gulf Shores to PCB just one long, loud, booze infested party of screaming hooligans and red-neck drunks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
I went there last winter and the drive on highway 399 was very nice, there was barely anybody on that road and all of us were driving very slow checking the scenery. It was very quiet. I would imagine it's more crowded in other seasons.

I didn't find people particularly different in Pensacola or its surrounding areas. Pretty much what I am used to seeing in other parts of Florida. The beach was empty so I can't speak of beachgoers.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
You don't have to go all the way to Navarre Beach for quiet. Just east of Pensacola Beach, along 399, you will enter the National Seashore. Nice and quiet and beautiful.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Are you planning on visiting or living there?

The beaches are beautiful and peaceful, but, most of the houses are all on stilts for a reason, even though storms haven't come into play for a number of years.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:37 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
You don't have to go all the way to Navarre Beach for quiet. Just east of Pensacola Beach, along 399, you will enter the National Seashore. Nice and quiet and beautiful.
Thanks AustinTraveler. I may try that If it is anything like South Padre Island National Seashore outside Corpus Christi, TX, how much does it cost to enter?

No, I'm not planning on living on the beach. I couldn't afford the insurance. I just want to be able to go to a nice, quiet, serene beach. Get away from the wild intoxicated bunch.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

This part of the Seashore is free. You only have to pay to enter Fort Pickens, which is on the west end of the island.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
This part of the Seashore is free. You only have to pay to enter Fort Pickens, which is on the west end of the island.
I was thinking you were speaking of Johnson Beach. I was driving around one day and came up to that booth to the National Seashore. Looked very similar to the one on South Padre Island, Texas.

On further note, I believe you and I were speaking of the same barrier island that Hwy 399 runs along. On the map, one end is Pensacola Beach and the other is Navarre Beach.

Anyway, thanks. One day, perhaps later this month I'll just have to take a day trip and explore. May have to toss in a couple of bucks for tolls.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Yes, I am definitely speaking about the barrier island with Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach. It is called Santa Rosa Island. There is a National Seashore area between the two towns, and that area is free. Fort Pickens is on the western end of the island and well worth the entrance fee.

Johnson Beach is much closer to where you are living now and is a nice beach, but you really ought to make the drive out to the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: