Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
They shouldn't have to drag it when the signs clearly state no swimming. That means stay out of the friggin water it's not safe. Even your feet. Do we need to hold everyone's hand in this country? What part of no swimming is hard to understand. I mean I don't go to Africa think it's ok to pet a baby lion just cause I can't see the mom. I'm having a real hard time with pity lately over all this stupidity. Honestly. Just because they're the "happiest place on earth" doesn't mean they control everything down to the weather. Australia had a similar situation a few weeks back and the govt release a statement saying "you can't legislate stupidity... It was avoidable" .. I have to side with that statement on this situation

Oh and they need to stop calling them "beaches" as I've seen in some articles. There are two types of beaches in Florida. Gulf Beaches and Atlantic beaches. Anything else is a lake, lagoon,swamp, spring etc. Anything else harbors predators. I get they call every body of water up north a beach (confused the hell out of me in NH when they said meet at the beach and it was a lake) but this is also not helping. Lakes are not swimable down here , ever.
Have you ever been to or seen pictures of those "beaches" next to those lakes and lagoons? They're complete with sand, beach chairs, and gazebos. If they aren't real beaches Disney is sure working to make sure they LOOK like beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I was referring to River Country when it was open.
Did they check for gators every morning before the park opened?
Do any of the water type parks check daily for gators before letting people in the water?
Yes, they actually check every park for gators and other wildlife before parks open. Even saw a picture of a gator inside a bathroom at the MK that had to be removed before park opened. Sometimes CMs have had to sort of herd wildlife even when the parks are open till the wildlife crew can get there to remove it. This is Florida, we keep ours eyes open. Just like if you walk a trail in the Smoky Mountains or Rockies you watch for signs of bears. You probably won't see one, but it could happen.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Have you ever been to or seen pictures of those "beaches" next to those lakes and lagoons? They're complete with sand, beach chairs, and gazebos. If they aren't real beaches Disney is sure working to make sure they LOOK like beaches.
They are in deep doo-doo civil suit wise. If I was a juror, and I'm of the belief that there are way too many lawsuits in our country. I agree with your post.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Jurors tend to side with the corporations. I don't see these people winning.

I wouldn't side with them unless there was proof of negligence on Disney's side. For example if there was proof that Disney was fully aware that this lake was infested with alligators and they didn't place the alligator signs because they thought they could lose business.

In cases of negligence you only have to be partially responsible. Both parties can be at fault the parents and Disney.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:36 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

I wouldn't side with them unless there was proof of negligence on Disney's side. For example if there was proof that Disney was fully aware that this lake was infested with alligators and they didn't place the alligator signs because they thought they could lose business.

In cases of negligence you only have to be partially responsible. Both parties can be at fault the parents and Disney.

Disney would never want this to go to a jury trial. They would have to basically say "The safety of our guests and their little children ain't our problem", how else do you argue this on behalf of Disney in a courtroom? -- it would a PR disaster. For Disney, this needs to disappear, fast.

Considering all the stories of Disney employees doing nothing when aggressive gators are reported, if not feeding the alligators themselves (I have a personal friend who claimed exactly this, first hand).... I don't think showing negligence is far fetched.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:47 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

I'm sure this will never make it to court. Whether or not the Disney enterprises accept blame for this horrible incident, they don't want the bad publicity a trial would bring ( and in the parents' shoes I sure would not want to have to relive those last hours/minutes of their little boy's life either). I'm sure they will settle for whatever it takes out of court, so they can make the incident disappear and move on making money.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Disney would never want this to go to a jury trial it would a PR disaster. For Disney, this needs to disappear, fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm sure this will never make it to court. I'm sure they will settle for whatever it takes out of court, so they can make the incident disappear and move on making money.
Most likely unless the family's lawyers get greedy.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:19 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo33 View Post
Disney slaughtering all alligators due to negligence of parents!! Why would these parents let their 2 year old into the lagoon clearly posted with "No Swimming!" signs?
If there was negligence it wasn't on the part of the parents. I believe that resort has movie night right on the man made beach of that lagoon. The kid was wading along the edge of the water a few inches deep after the movie ended. I can understand why people not from the deep south wouldn't expect a a gator to snatch their kid at a man made resort lake. But Disney must have known the potential. Disney is going to get reamed on this one.

Oh, and walking the edge of the white sand beach with your feet in the water is not swimming.

Last edited by ms12345; 06-18-2016 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 04:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Rope fence goes up......

Old 06-19-2016, 08:30 AM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
One would think they would at least put up a tasteful black wrought iron fence. It would both look good and keep the guest safe. Disney seriously needs to consider a change in management at these resorts. First for endangering their guest and then for thinking this rope is the right solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida