Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I would be house poor if I spent $140k on a house on a $45k annual gross salary. Dont forget all the other expenses and if you have children, that can be several thousand a year per child! I would not spend more than $80k to $120k on a house based on that salary depending what other expenses and bills I have. I will be happy to make $45k myself on my home business doing graphics design. This is better than any job will pay me. Even if I could afford a $140k house, I can get a much bigger and better house for the same price in Texas!
Many folks are making ends meet in the NW Florida.

If you finance $145K for 30 years at a 6% = $870 per month. Cost of living is not that bad, if you go for a mobile home way cheaper... Bi weekly paycheck on $45K is a bit greater that $1,500.00 (+ or -) .

The market here is affordable and the wages for your trait are good. We have Illustrators’ in our company and the hourly wage is $23.00 per hour.. I work for a Gov contractor and the average yearly salary is $45K (+ or -).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Is not my float is that you can make it with $45K per year is you are willing to do your research and get away from the large cities. We still have locations that are within the reach of the average person.

Your post "45 G's ain't much, I don't care where you are."
Yup and my post is right on the money and you know it.

Your talking about "getting by" on 45K. Getting by isn't living. It's getting by.

I'm the last person to critisize Fla and you probably know that by now. Also, I wasn't critisizing you, nor was I saying that you can't "get by" on 45K a year. I said it ain't much.

I made that when I washed and waxed cars for a living at age 19 and that was 32 years ago. I was able to live pretty good on those numbers. Then. And I washed and waxed cars for a living.

Waaaaay back then what did houses cost here in Fla in comparison to what they are now? What did groceries cost? Life insurance? Health insurance? It's definitely not all relative either.

The fact is that with the constant erosion of the purchasing power of the dollar thru inflation ,and the ever increasing taxation on everything that moves, the "must have it now and pay for it later mentality, among other things, it takes a lot more than 45 G's a year to "live" and save for a retirement that will allow SOME independence in life. If 45,000 is all there is then you better plan on a life of social security ( real security eh? ) and be willing to take whatever "they" give you when you reach senior age.

It's also another reason why quite a lot of people are looking outside the US for their place in the sun. But that's another conversation on a more open forum.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Texas pays better and for $145k I can get so much more house for the money! Texas is as good a location as north Florida but ill have much higher standards of living there.

$45k isnt bad money if you live in a city with reasonably priced houses. It doesnt get you very far in Florida(especially south) but in Texas you can live comfortably on that. I have a friend who makes that much and bought a $107k house 2 years ago.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Texas pays better and for $145k I can get so much more house for the money! Texas is as good a location as north Florida but ill have much higher standards of living there.

I wish you the best of luck in Taxes. When are you leaving?

Old 11-08-2006, 10:27 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
hopefully by summer of 2007. Not sure if ill be able to afford Texas as cheap as it is. Ohio and WV have alot of sub $50k houses.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 AM

627 posts, read 2,850,331 times
Lightbulb PricedOutReport.org

Here is a little guide that might give you a "ROUGH" idea about wages vs. housing prices in FL.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!!

Link is: PricedOutReport.org

Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 AM

8 posts, read 18,830 times
Rich F,

Home prices in southwest Florida are falling like a rock. You can but a new 3 bedroom home in North Port (about 25 miles from Sarasota) for under 170k. There is a newer 3 br on the MLS for 150k. I would think that 45k would qualify you for a loan.

My daughter teaches in Sarasota and makes less than 45k. She was able to purchase a new home in North Port.

If you email me I can tell you which builders are selling homes the cheapest. Prices may have not yet bottomed out but I think they are close. I just bought one myself that I am renting to my son.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Here is a little guide that might give you a "ROUGH" idea about wages vs. housing prices in FL.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!!

Link is: PricedOutReport.org
THAT'S a very interesting website. Too bad it only portrays Florida.

Anyone know of one that shows all states? Hint hint to the developers of this forum

Old 11-09-2006, 03:12 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Default Median Salary by Job - State: Florida (United States)

The following charts show a median salary in the state and by cities. Based on what the forum members have posted $45K is not achievable or people can't survive with this yearly salary. I know of many families that make more or less that amount a year and they do more than survive.

My question is how much do we need to make a year? Not to be rich, but what do you required. Everyone has different needs, would like to read your views.

Pick your salary
$45K
$50K
$55K
$60K
$65K
$70K or greater...

http://www.payscale.com/chart/27/Median-Salary-by-Job---State-Florida-United-States_20061107041936.jpg (broken link)

http://www.payscale.com/chart/167/Median-Salary-by-City---State-Florida-United-States_20061107041936.jpg (broken link)

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Florida/Salary

Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
THAT'S a very interesting website. Too bad it only portrays Florida.

Anyone know of one that shows all states? Hint hint to the developers of this forum
MrTudo you do know you said that outloud ! Thats Too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida