Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Well I'm sure they don't want 10 degree extreme cold you gotta be outta your sweet mind to want that, but colder lets say.. 40-50's fair enough ,however I fear you wont be seeing those temps again in Fla..
Yeah, I've loved where I am, but went up to visit family in Connecticut around Thanksgiving and THAT is a different level of FREAKIN' COLD than where I am!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl
I have found though, if you live in Fla long enough, you can actually tell a slight difference in the seasons down there. I was able to tell a bit of spring from summer, a bit of autumn from summer etc. Its just that the physical signs that signal those changes of say leaves falling or flowers blooming aren't there. It tricks the mind
Leaves are brown instead of green = Winter

I remember THAT one....

Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

Leaves are brown instead of green = Winter

I remember THAT one....
lol see I'm glad i could help

Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 AM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
You see the problem with New England...like Maine and NH and even MA...is we only have 2 seasons...we have winter and summer. We get no spring and fall is about 2 weeks long. Last summer we were getting cold (40s and 50s) and rain in JUNE!!!!! Then just like that we were in the 90s and humid. Then as soon as mid August came the temps dropped and it started getting cool again. I started work at the end of August and there were only a hand full of nights I didn't need a jacket when I worked.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
You see the problem with New England...like Maine and NH and even MA...is we only have 2 seasons...we have winter and summer. We get no spring and fall is about 2 weeks long. Last summer we were getting cold (40s and 50s) and rain in JUNE!!!!! Then just like that we were in the 90s and humid. Then as soon as mid August came the temps dropped and it started getting cool again. I started work at the end of August and there were only a hand full of nights I didn't need a jacket when I worked.
*nods head* you said it.. This year fall was LAME.... the tree's didn't even change, the leaves just dropped, it was too dry, we had our first killing frost in October and by november the winter coat was out and the leaves were gone. Aug was god awful hot and september was either really hot during the day or too cold to open the windows...

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,065 times
Default Same here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
This is the reason I would want to move !!

I do enjoy the fall - there is something special about the fall and Thanksgiving and Christmas. But come 12/26 - I don't want anymore cold weather! I must have one of those seasonal depressions because I always get totally bummed out in the winter. I just dislike the snow and being cold all the time. Plus there is so much more laundry!!!!!!
Wow, you took the thoughts right outta my head! I feel the EXACT same way. I don't mind colder weather (but not snow) around Christmas. but after that, I want it GONE! This year in Pennsy we had the pleasure of trying to shop in ice storms and blizzards only to have it warm up right before Christmas in time for it to be a nice muddy brown...OOOh I'm dreeeaming of a crappy brooooown Christmassss.....Yeck!!

I don't know if I'd like 80 degree January's down there, but up here, 60 degree days scattered here and there in January just tick me OFF! You know why, because every darn year it does this we usually have a prolonged winter...meaning that it will most likely SNOW in APRIL, like it did last year.

There's nothing more depressing to me than snow in the spring.

Snow in the spring means all the new growth dies, there's less blooms when then flowers finally do get the courage to come out, and summer usually comes early for some unknown reason. So we have beautiful, spring-like 65 degree weather for maybe two weeks and then it's 80 and humid. Then the doctor's offices fill with people getting the flu in May...gee wonder why?

What I hate most about the NE weather is the up and down like that. My two favorite seasons are fall and spring. Every year these seasons get shorter and shorter.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Coming from Vermont, with long, cold, dark winters, I LOVED the warm south Florida winters for about 15 years. The past 5 years got to be too warm though. Last year, on January 1st, when I was sweating profusely while mowing my lawn again, after about 15 solid years of doing so without a break, I knew I'd balanced out all of those cold New England winters, and could again enjoy cooler weather and a break from mowing that freegin lawn!

So... I moved further north, and now I have to deal with frozen water pipes. Hey, life is a bunch of trade-offs.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
The seasons changing is one of my favorite things and I miss that here. I do love the lanai doors open and sleeping with the windows open in the winter here but I miss fall and spring. See, growing up in a place that has four seasons is the best becuase you get it all. I also get sick of wearing the same clothes all year here, it stinks! The summers are so unbearably hot too. I do not like living in Florida for a lot of reasons but the weather is one. I miss the leaves changing and the smell of fall in the air, the rfirst snowfall and hoping for snow days, sitting by the fire and making a big pot of soup, getting stuck at home in the snow and bonding with your neighbors. Now, people will come back with all these things, like oh here we can wear shorts and go swimming and eat dinner outside, etc. But, see, up north you can do that too, but not all year round. You can do everything up north that you can do in Florida, the only difference is it is for a few months versus the whole year.
I like the changes, looking forward to the summer to do those things and looking forward to the winter to do other things.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Not me. I love the 80s and 90s and would take it every day, all year long. I love the consistency. Love wearing an tee and shorts, swimming every day.

You all l can have anything below 80 degrees!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,453 times
Default chronic deppression.

i'm from puerto rico so i miss the hot weather.i;m in boston right now the weather ain't bad today but no sun out at all.i love taking a shower in the late afternoon after a 90 degree day and crack open a cold one and sit outside and enjoy the sunset with your loved ones.here it's dark at 4pm go home and do nothing just wait out the winter and hope you don't end up with chronic deppression in the meantime.if you take the children anywhere you have to spend 200$-300$ to keep them busy on your day's off.i was in ft myers 2 weeks ago and spent minimal money entertaining them,from going to the beach to sitting in my fathers patio while they enjoyed the pool and the steaks where grilling.also they rode bikes plus my son enjoys insects and reptiles so he was outside exploring my father's yard.we went jet skiing and i could not believe my eyes 2 dolphins swam about 6 feet from my jet ski and my eyes we're gonna pop out not from being afraid but from just being able to experience that.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM

541 posts, read 1,994,662 times
I would love to have a place in New Hampshire or MA for June 1st-January 6th and keep our place here in FL for January 7th-June 1st. That way we get a much nicer summer up north, the fall, and some cold and snow- but not for 6-7 months straight Of course I have been looking for a good job here for 3+ years so that is not going to happen any time soon unless we win the lottery. We were in NY this past weekend and it went down to the 20's at night and we were fine with our coats on-it felt great and we walked all over the city. In FL when it went down to 30's last week, it was FREEZING from the damp cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida