Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that it was KKK heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
I was raised and my sister born at Rout 1 Box 69 B, Winter Garden Florida. (1 mile east of the entrance to Lake Buena Vista). It was 9 miles to Kissimmee, 14 Miles to Orlando and 16 Miles to Winter Garden. (No I-4). Took us 2 hours to get to school on the bus. No school sports. If we missed the bus we were screwed. It took so long because of the route to fill the bus not because of any traffic. Orange Groves and cattle. I knew the Bronsons, Jock and Fern Lowery, Kennedy's and other great people. My Dad started Panning Lumber that lasted from the late 50's until sold in 82. There were tourest attractions. Gator Land, Cypress Gardens, Rock Springs, Wikiwatchi Springs (mermaids) and the Citrus Tower in Clairmont. These were a big deal. When folks came down from up North that is where you took them. I started working at 16 half days in what they called DCT (went to school half day and worked half day). I could leave school in Winter Garden drive home (where Disney is now) eat lunch and on to work in Orlando in less than 45 minutes. We knew all our neighbors with a 1.5 mile radius.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
hmm... good responses. Sounds like a lot of nostalgia out there. Kind of sad, really. Where can you find "old florida" today?
Old Florida isn't totally gone. You can still find the remnants of it in small, older Central Florida downtowns and in the agriculture that is still prevalent in the western parts of Brevard, Volusia, Flagler, and St John's counties.

Of course North Florida hasn't changed nearly as much as Central and South Florida have, but I wouldn't describe the North Florida culture as distinctly "Floridian". It's more of the generic Deep South culture that is virtually indistinguishable from South Georgia and South Alabama.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM

791 posts, read 1,426,170 times
before the rat ate Orlando....Cypress Gardens, Weeki Wachi and Silver Springs were the tourist attractions. In Winter Haven, famous actors and movie directors used to hang out at LaMonds restaraunt. Nick Christies place was later on....his place was at the edge of an orange grove. La Monds was on the blvd 1/2 mile north of the gardens. Orange groves were everywhere....Robby La Mond was a good friend of mine so I have seen the photos inside the old restaraunt and bar area....that was many years ago

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
My understanding is that it was KKK heaven.
headquarters in winter haven, fl..........of course

Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEYH View Post
Full of nothing but Floridians.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,308 times
What's the point in asking this question?

Do you just want to peeve us natives off, or is there a real point to it that we just don't see?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
In Winter Haven, famous actors and movie directors used to hang out at LaMonds restaraunt. Nick Christies place was later on....his place was at the edge of an orange grove.
You referring to Christie's Sundown? One of my favorite places for years. You know, Nick passed away about a month or so ago.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
You referring to Christie's Sundown? One of my favorite places for years. You know, Nick passed away about a month or so ago.
yes ....sad.....it was a great era

Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I remember back in the 60's a visit to the Citrus Tower near Clarmont and was amazed to see orange groves to the horizon in every direction, now its all bungalows and retail outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida