Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times

Advertisements

First time posting and am hopeful to garner your opinions. I will soon be retiring from my teaching position in Pennsylvania (within the next 5 years). I was hoping to buy a decent home in Florida sometime during 2006... we liked New Smyrna area best... but have stopped "dead in our tracks". The shoddy quality and associated prices of many single family homes in much of Florida are unrealistic and out of reach for many of us. We are still re-examining our financial direction and exploring options, however. The most crucial issue is that we do not have the same impressions of Florida that we did five years ago, and it goes beyond the threat of hurricanes. Florida can be very proud of its ethnic diversity, but should be ashamed of its financial diversity. Your statewide middle class is shrinking faster than probably any place that I have been in the country. The state appears to have a vocal affluent population, and then, the significant majority just hoping to scrape out a living. Housing appreciation was the biggest hope of many of your "working poor"... many must be quivering as the prices decline.

I mean no disrespect to anyone living in Florida, but more critical issues seem to arise every year that discount the appeal of your weather. For example, when I see an industry such as Disney with its megawealth and the focal point of much of the state's tourist economy paying such paltry wages/benefits to the majority of their workers, I question how many can survive in your very expensive state economy. This invariably translates into higher crime, poorer schools, and a disillusioned population paying for the services others cannot afford.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
You have hit a nail squarely on the head. It is also a sore spot for some.

My husband & I made the tough decision to move out of Florida last year. The decision was based on financial reasons alone. Salary was simply not keeping up with what it was costing us to live there.

During the height of people selling homes for hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they paid for them, we listed ours $200,000 less than anything in our neighborhood. It was an older home of much better quality than the new cookie cutter homes that have been going up. It was 45 days from listing to closing.

There are homebuilders in Florida that will build you a fine quality home. You will pay for it, too. I worked for a sub-contractor that worked with several of these homebuilders.

My advice to you would be to look for an older home. Something built in the 1960's. It will not be up to the new codes, but the quality of the workmanship will make up for the older building codes. Make sure you get a good home inspection.

You will have difficulty getting homeowner's insurance if you are not going to be occupying the house.

If you can wait until you are ready to retire to make your purchase the prices may come down. The market is beginning to correct itself.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
If you choose to buy a new home BEWARE... There are several builders in my community that are just throwing them up everywhere

I have seen cracks in the exterior walls even before the homes are painted.
Foundation problems, drainage problems and these are new homes.
We have friends that purchased a KB home and have had problems with many things. Also friends that purchased an Adams home and they are having nothing but trouble with things in the home. Another builder to watch out for
is Quality Homes...No quality there either. The person bought this brand new home and is so upset with the whole company and the house.
I too would say to look for a resale.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 37,360 times
Default Impressions

Coach,

I couldn't have said it better. All I can say is Amen! Many on this board have expressed resentment over my observations on the state of affairs of this state. However, many things need to be brought to the light of day and exposed for what they are. This is especially true of the misinformation broadcast by the media and civic entities which are puppets of well-heeled individuals and the tourist industry. Real day-to-day living for working people here is not beaches and Margaritas. As a head-hunter confided in me recently stated, “employers in FL like to pay you in Sunshine”. I replied “that’s fine, but Sunshine doesn’t pay the bills or put food on the table”.

As I stated in another post, “None of what I have said is, or was, meant to offend. I’m just tired of all the deceit by omission dished out by the media and apparently by many of the folks on this board. It is true that one man’s prize is another’s garbage. But before one chooses, the information gathered should be current, complete and accurate. It is one thing for an individual or family to undertake a major life change such as moving when all the facts presented or discovered are accurate. It’s quite another when these decisions are made on hearsay, misleading data or omitted information”

Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Hi there. Not to be rude but, if you don't like FL, DON'T MOVE HERE! If you don't like FL & you already live here, I95 goes north! The more that leave, the more room for those of us who LOVE it here!
Sorry but it just seems usesless to come on a board & complain about how a place sucks. Imagine if the Detroit board was all people saying "I hate it here it sucks!" It's like, then MOVE! Sheesh! It's not rocket science! Especially if you don't even LIVE here yet! Don't move here then! Hell-O!
I don't have a problem with someone asking how such & such a place is and people giving their opinions. But to take this attitude of intellectually bashing a place & explaining logically how it sucks is...I dunno. I just don't see the point. It's like if people are discussing ice cream & I say how I hate ice cream & then analyze why it makes perfect sense that I hate ice cream-SO WHAT?
People! All those who love what FL has, come on down! Those who don't like what FL has, don't come on down!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:28 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Default well said Elfyum!

My hats off to ya! Everybody needs to remember that there is no perfect place. Everybody has to make their own decisions. Just because some don't like a certain thing doesn't mean that other people will feel the same way.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Wink Your thoughts are appreciated

I never came to this post to bash anyone's home or anyone personally. I am saying that my decision would have been so much easier five years ago... I would have my home in Florida by now. With how much your home state has changed in recent years ( to the negative), my wife and I must seriously consider all of the implications on our retirement income. To put things in the proper perspective, I could easily estimate that of the 10 individuals that I know retired and relocated five years ago, 7 chose Florida as their area to invest in a home. Of the 10 individuals who I know will be retiring during the next 2-3 years, only 1 chose Florida. They tell me that it is a state that is too expensive for a middle income ex-Pittsburgher to survive. I guess that there must be some honesty that premise somewhere... several of those early retirees living in Florida are only able to do so with part-time jobs.

I greatly appreciate the complete honesty of the individuals who are guiding my family in this very challenging decision. I only am sharing my insights of what I have learned from those more knowledgeable than me. Contrary to the thinking of those who think that "if you don't like it then leave", I am not willing to be one of those individuals who cannot afford my home... then cannot leave because I am unable to sell it. Judging by the high volume of homes on the Florida market and the reduced number of serious buyers, I must not be alone in my pronounced caution.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
You'd like my thoughts? My thoughts are that you have already made up your mind and don't really care what I think. Your conclusions may be valid; that's not the point. The point is, since you're so sure what has happened and that it's all bad, your decision is already made. Lots of retired folks are building in the Ozarks and loving it. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
If you still decide that Florida is for you, I'd recommend looking at homes built before 1970 or after 1994. The 1950s and '60s were an active period for hurricanes in Florida, and the construction reflects it. Any 40- to 45-year-old home with hurricane shutters, a properly installed roof and a well-built garage door should weather most storms. A tough statewide building code was enacted in '94 in the wake of Hurricane Andrew. It is in effect everywhere but the Panhandle, I believe.

Your observations about a vanishing middle class in Florida resonate. Many of my neighbors in Fort Lauderdale, especially those with children, are struggling to make it despite household incomes in the $100,000-a-year range. They are not lavish spenders, simply people who are living beyond their means through no fault of their own. Homeowners insurance, electric bills and property taxes are soaring thanks to state legislators and local officials who have sold out to the insurance and utility industries and upper-class real estate speculators. The "middle class" (and I'm not even sure how you'd define that anymore) is the meat in the sandwich. If you are a teacher, police officer or firefighter (or a management-level print journalist with 25 years experience, as I am), you're facing an uphill climb here.

But having said all that, I still enjoy living here and don't regret for a second my decision to move here 19 years ago. It's possible to acknowledge a place's drawbacks and still enjoy its many attributes.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 AM

15 posts, read 57,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
All those who love what FL has, come on down!

Hold the door open, I'll be there soon!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida