Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:24 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I want the governor to have more power to get things done.
I'm glad you voted, but this doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make anything quicker, or easier, or more stream-lined. Originally, the NEW governor elects the NEW justice. It worked just fine, and on time. Now the OLD governor elects the NEW justice, after the OLD governor has already been told to leave office - the justice is not supposed to start until 2 months after the OLD governor has already been voted out. That doesn't make the governor have more power - it makes them have less. The NEW governor comes into a newly elected climate that presumably the people want, but now they don't have their normal powers of electing justices which is part of their job description - because the person who was fired took their job from them and did what was worst for the people. If the people fired the OLD governor, the people, as well as the NEW governor, do NOT trust the OLD governor to elect a good justice for us all to be stuck with forever. This gives the most recently elected governor who is likely more in step with what the people currently want, far LESS power than a governor is supposed to have. No other state works like this - the currently employed are the ones in charge of hiring, not the people who have already been fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
The thing with millenials is that, like every cohort from the baby boomers onward, American history class never got within 30 years of their high school years and recent history tends to get lost. So they never got part the Vietnam war and missed out on such things as the women's rights movement of the 70s and 80s.

My Mom actually had to threaten to sue her employer in the early 1970s to be allowed to use her accumulated sick leave for maternity leave because pregnancy and recovering from it technically wasn't illness or injury. (The school district caved because they didn't want their name to be associated with being a test case for that)

I am a Democrat because the modern Republican party wants to roll back what are some pretty basic gains like that in the name of being more 'business-friendly'. Look how hard so many of them fought against the FMLA Act and don't forget it.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The thing with millenials is that, like every cohort from the baby boomers onward, American history class never got within 30 years of their high school years and recent history tends to get lost. So they never got part the Vietnam war and missed out on such things as the women's rights movement of the 70s and 80s.
That is a massive generalization to make about the tens of thousands of schools across this nation, and is not remotely true. Some districts have poor education, but that does not mean they all do. I learned these things in school, and then I went on to teach high school and college at a young age and certainly the schools I was in - even those that were in financially struggling districts - do teach these topics and they were part of my curriculum. Why make a generalization about an entire generation of people, when we are not all the same, and certainly are not all ignorant? I am in the oldest years of the millenial generation, and I created this thread, after all. It's not true that all baby boomers were drugged out hippies, or that all people from the 50s were June and Ward Cleaver, either.

Also, LOL to the phrase "modern Republican party"! That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one...

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Please vote NO today. This amendment is seriously messed up, and yet another reason the state of FL will be the laughingstock of the nation politically. Let's at least show that we have some common sense about one thing, if not the rest - this is bad no matter what party or ideology you belong to. Current job holders should hire staff, not FORMER job holders. That should be obvious, as it is in every other state. The governor who has been currently elected is the one who should elect the current justices. Obviously. Not the governor who was already fired and has since left office.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM

734 posts, read 921,291 times
I definitely voted no on that. Common sense is already in short supply as it is in Florida. Amending the rules to allow for this would be utterly absurd.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:35 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,619 times
I voted no. I also didnt like the mandatory retirement age thing. I think they should work until they decide to retire and not be forced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida