Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 PM

168 posts, read 763,927 times

Advertisements

i would think the schools would be better in alachua county (gainesville). lawton chiles elementary is a top rated school, i believe. also, the international baccalaureate program at eastside high is also highly rated. but you can do an enormous amount of checking just by going to the area websites, including the alachua county school board.

also try craigslist in gainesville and see if anyone is 'talky' on the forums who might answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 55,927 times
Thanks....

Still looking for more information about the area....

I'll be going up to the area soon to check it out...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM

166 posts, read 247,194 times
Smile Maybe McAlpin?

You may want to look at the McAlpin area. 25 minutes from Lake City in beautiful Suwannee County. Gainesville is less than an hour away and you get to enjoy a rural setting while still being close enough to Gainesville for the "city" type interests.
McAlpin's a tiny dot....but a lovely one. we don't even have (or need) a traffic light. Safe is an understatement. If you leave your expensive tools in the yard, RUST will take them before the locals will.

Live Oak is about 13 miles north of us and although it is growing it's still in that "Mayberry" type phase.
I've raised my kids here and now they tell me this is where they want to raise their kids. Quite a testimonial I think.
Being this far inland, our Homeowners Ins. is a lot less costly than those near the coast.
The locals are friendly and if you ever REALLY need help, they're there. If you're the private type they'll leave you alone except to wave as they go by.
We moved here from Jacksonville and have never regretted it for a second.
It's the type of place you can stretch out....physically and emotionally and just say "aaaahh!"
The meteor showers are a real sight to behold out here. We go lay on our backs on a blanket in the yard and watch the stars fall all around.

In 20 minutes you can be on I-75....or I-10. We're about halfway between Jacksonville and Tallahassee . 90 minutes to either. We're also halfway between Valdosta Ga. (cheaper gas) and Gainesville Fl. About an hour either way. Very nice location.
We're surrounded by natural springs and scuba diving is a popular past time.

We love it.....I think a lot of people would.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM

11 posts, read 17,329 times
I have lived in Ft. White for 10 years and commute to Gainesville 4 days a week. I commute to Lake City once a week. I love living in the country. My friends will not come to see me from Gainesville cause they say it is too far, however Gainesville during rush hour takes as long to get across town as it does to drive to Ft. White. Taxes are much lower in Columbia Cty than Alachua. Utilities as well.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 28,464 times
Lake City has grown allot due to the Endtimers here. I lived in L.C. and worked in Gainesville because the cost of living was cheaper. I spent sooo much time driving back and forth that I didn't realize how much I hate L.C. I worked at L.C.Medical Center for two years after that.GO to Gainesville or Jacksonville for medical needs!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

PS....If you don't know who the Entimers are look them up on the internet. Chales Meade is thefounder.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Opps....Endtimers

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,955,719 times
We have lived in Lake City area 20 years have posted completely on Lake City in past.
We lived in home 8 miles to Branford and moved from there to this home awhile back.Branford and Mayo would not be on my list to far frm L.C or Live Oak also nothing there.
Lake City is an easy drive to Gainesville if necessary and many people work and commute to there.We are retired and now because of age and family are moving back to Connecticut.
This home a 28 by 63 is listed on craigslist Gainesville,listed yesterday. Imaculate 28 by 63 home @ $119,500 any ? you are welcome to DM us.My other reason for liking this county is taxes,as a senior they have double homestead and income exemption based on earning's.Also city services.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

20 posts, read 55,927 times
Good to see others still posting here. My parents are retiring soon and have bought a property in Branford, west of the agriculture check point on US 27. They also have friends that live in the area that grow chickens. Very interesting see so many chickens in the barn. I visit the area aleast once a year, typically for Thanksgiving but this seems too rural for the wife. But my kids love it, it's very quiet, stars are very bright, they see deer, turkey and other animals.

For visiting we like it but that's about it for now. In the mean time, we'll stay down south and continue to visit.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,955,719 times
My post from a long time ago on here quite suprising,we moved out of Suwannee county last year,very happy to be in Columbia County.Nothing good to be said for Branford,Mayo or Live Oak,24 miles to most anywhere.I placed a detailed report on Lake City awhile back and could be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida