Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM

338 posts, read 556,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Tallahassee, IMO, is the only major city in FL that has a true "southern" feel.
Thank you for the input. I assumed this as well due to it's location. North west Florida I assume as a whole would be more like Georgia than South Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
is southern bad? i assume you dont want to be around it. :/
Don't assume. I am simply asking a question. If you have any input regarding cities that fit the criteria I would be happy to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Culturally Southern" conjures images of Plantations, mint juleps and top hats and hoop skirts (perhaps like Savannah or Charleston around the time of the Civil War). While Florida has been influenced by 'Southern culture' in the Panhandle (Tallahassee) and North Central Florida, its 'melting pot' culture has been more heavily influenced by Native American and Hispanic and 'military' heritages.

In the context of 'Large', Northern Florida cities include Jacksonville (1M), Pensacola (.5M) and Tallahassee (.2M). These are smaller than what are commonly thought of as 'large traditional Southern' metropolitan areas (Atlanta (6M), Charlotte (2.5M) and perhaps Birmingham or New Orleans (1Me).
I appreciate your input. Of course when I say culturally southern I'm not talking about plantations. This isn't 1794. I don't even know what mint juleps are. What I mean by culturally southern is southern accents, southern food, large church presence, stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Among the smaller north Florida metros, Panama City can feel rather Southern once you're away from the tourist stuff. Ft. Walton Beach was essentially constructed by the Department of War during WW2, and you're got to rather dig to find the New Orleans, Birmingham, and Atlanta transplants when you're within about 30 miles of base.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Thank you for the input. I assumed this as well due to it's location. North west Florida I assume as a whole would be more like Georgia than South Florida.

Don't assume. I am simply asking a question. If you have any input regarding cities that fit the criteria I would be happy to hear it.

I appreciate your input. Of course when I say culturally southern I'm not talking about plantations. This isn't 1794. I don't even know what mint juleps are. What I mean by culturally southern is southern accents, southern food, large church presence, stuff like that.

I did respond.

So, are you asking because you are trying to eliminate the areas that are not culturally southern then?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,985 times
Sorta in the same league as the unicorn I'd say.

If you want old time Southern, you don't want Florida. Or Texas, for that matter.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
I've always found Jacksonville to be culturally Southern from the many times that I've been there.
This is especially true when comparing it to South Florida where I live.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Somebody define "southern" for me.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:46 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Jax is the biggest city in Northern FL and it's pretty southern culturally in the context of FL. I'd say Tally and Pensacola feel more southern but they're much smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In the context of 'Large', Northern Florida cities include Jacksonville (1M), Pensacola (.5M) and Tallahassee (.2M). These are smaller than what are commonly thought of as 'large traditional Southern' metropolitan areas (Atlanta (6M), Charlotte (2.5M) and perhaps Birmingham or New Orleans (1Me).
If you're going by MSA, Jax should be 1.4M and Tallahassee .4M

Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Bishwhat... dont assume? Is that what you told me to do?

What did you do in the same exact post you told me not to assume in? You assumed. Post number 11.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
In general, most cities large or small in northern FL have a more "southern" feel to them than lower in the state, due to their proximity to the deep southern states. Most of Florida is too much of a melting pot to have much southern feel, and that goes way back to its roots. I think Tallahassee is the most "southern" feeling state culturally, but it's not that big. For large cities, I consider Jax the most southern but it won't be like say Savannah or anything. Not sure what you (OP) are looking to find or avoid when you ask this.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM

86 posts, read 174,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
What I mean by culturally southern is southern accents, southern food, large church presence, stuff like that.

I cannot speak for the other areas as it has been years since I have visited either of them, but as to Jacksonville according to your standard of “What I mean by culturally southern is southern accents, southern food, large church presence, stuff like that.”

You do not hear a strong southern here often but depending on where you are from will depend upon what you want to consider southern and how easily you can detect any note of it. I believe that you will hear the newscaster tone most often.

As to southern food, you must mean fried, yes Jacksonville does offer a great deal of that and many southern food restaurants.

And Jacksonville is well known for its large church presence, we even have a huge one down town that well has run this city for years and years.

Now the problem with all of this is that Jacksonville is HUGE due to the consolidation of Jacksonville and Duval County back in the 60’s there are urban, suburban and rural areas all within city limits. Each area of Jacksonville is slightly different and we even have areas that are connected to Jacksonville but are not “part” of Jacksonville (IE: have their own Police, fire, and councils) and they have their own feel as well. I truly cannot say that the city as a whole has any one type of identity.

So where Jacksonville will meet you criteria for culturally southern city, it does not really live up to being such a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida