Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,060 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Lakeland area as my wife may be taking a job with the city. We have been down once and checked the area, and found a few nice areas. We are looking to rent either a house or apartment until we know the area. We are planning on staying at the southern limits and we looked at Village at Lake Highland Village and the Alexan at Lakeside Village for apartments.

Our biggest concern is the school system. We come from an school district in Ohio that are rated all 9's and 10's. In Lakeland it seems you only luck out if 1 of the 3 schools in you district is an 8 or better. Then the other two are 5 or 6. I know they have Charter schools and private schools, but we have 4 kids so private schools are out. Charter might not be bad, but I know at least 2 of our 4 might struggle to make the cut. So are the schools really that bad? Do they bus kids from all over the city to different districts or are the kids just from your area? Any gang issues in the schools? Lastly do any of you do homeschooling and how do you like it? Do you have groups you meet with occasionally?

Our next concern is organized school activities. Our kids range from K to 5th grade. They play football, basketball, and cheerlead. Are these type of activities available from the schools or is it just big leagues with kids from all over?

Lastly any positives or negatives you can list would be appreciated. Like I said we were down a few weeks ago and checked the area. It is a big change from where we live now, so we would like to hear from others. We did find the people we talked to were nice, unlike some of the older reviews on this site stated. If you were not to live in Lakeland, but had to work there, where would you live?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM

95 posts, read 101,481 times
My children are in their 20's now so some of my information might be outdated.

I knew a family that lived in Lake Highland Village while building a home and they enjoyed the complex. Their children went to a private school so I do not know anything about the local elementary school. I know if I was going to purchase a home in Lakeland I would prefer to be the George Jenkins High School district.

You are correct in thinking that the school system should be your biggest concern when moving to Polk county. Yes, the schools really are that bad. The area south of Lakeland tends to have the best schools in our district but I have a feeling that their standards are going to be very low compared to your district in Ohio. There are a number of charter and magnet schools however you are arriving late in the game so the better ones might be full. Some of the schools have waiting lists for Kindergarten.

Homeschooling is very popular in our area. Most of the activities my children participated in had a homeschooled student or two in the group. There are homeschooling organizations that provide support and meet on a regular basis for activities and even take field trips.

Youth sports are very big in Polk county and south Lakeland has some very good organizations. I know that the soccer and baseball programs were excellent when my children were playing but I don't know much about football or basketball. Most families seem to rely on activities outside of school until the high school years. A number of years ago most activities were eliminated in elementary and middle schools because of budget cuts however some schools have started up programs again.

Private schools are very expensive however there are schools that offer families a discount for multiple children. One school even allowed the fourth child to attend for free but unfortunately I only had three enrolled.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,793,876 times
With Common Core being enacted expect the standards to being somewhat similar to where your coming from unless Ohio repeals it which I heard they may do.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM

147 posts, read 212,115 times
Hello. Like most towns, Lakeland has a variety of different flavors, if you will. Along with this comes a wide range of schools. We have some really great schools here as well as some that are not as desirable. As a Realtor, I cannot steer you towards any particular school or area but I'll do my best to lay out some options and give you some resources. Both of the apartment complexes you are considering are nice complexes and offer a lot of amenities. They are also relatively new.

I can say that Florida does have a great virtual school program that might be a consideration for you. My children have both attended public schools here and I can't say I've had any major issues. My son is currently at Harrison School of the Arts which is an amazing school focused on music, fine art theater and creative writing. It is an audition only school for 9-12 graders. Most of the magnet, choice and charter schools do have waiting lists or lotteries so simply walking up and enrolling your kids is likely not an option. There is also an abundance of private school options with some being very affordable. I'd urge you to call the school board and/or schools you are considering and chat with them.

Go to this website and you can view the school grades:
Polk County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

This web page will allow you to find your school zone based on address:
Polk County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

School Board General Information:
General Information | Parents | Polk County Public Schools

As far as youth sports, there are definitely options here in Lakeland. My daughter was very active in soccer her entire childhood. There are three primary soccer fields including Carter Road Park, Duff Park and Lake Parker Park. There are also great football and baseball programs on both sides of town. Elementary and middle schools do not offer tons of in-school or school related sports options but the high schools all do.

Best of luck in your move!

Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
I have lived in Lakeland for the past 18 years and have children in private school here. I am from New England and the schools here are concerning. Rather than rely on ratings, take a look at SAT scores which can be compared from state to state - it is shocking. You will need to supplement your children's education no matter which school they attend here (except the IB High School at Bartow).

The public schools do not have elementary or middle school sports. There are many opportunities for private sport teams, but they do require money and the time to transport each child to the various activities.

Good luck with your move here. I can say that we would not be here, but for my husband's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: