Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,580 times

Advertisements

I have read some of the older forums abut Sugarmill Woods but wanted to get some more current information. We have visited there and actually fell in love with it. My husband and I love the outdoors and so tired of the retirement community we live in (Ocala) jut one home after the other, so close to each other, same ol' same ol'. Anyway, I know they have strict HOA rules but we have them where we are now. In fact we find these rules a blessing. The place prior to this did not enforce any rules at all and wound up with horrible trucks without wheels int he driveways, above ground pools for the kiddies in the front lawns etc. So we don't have a problem with rules, we have read them via internet so are ok on that.

We have heard it has a better than average safety/crime numbers so that is good.
We love love love the greenbelt woods, this is just fantastic to us.

But we read in an older forum about and expressway or something to go through Sugarmill woods? Guessing never came of it (think that was dated in 2008) but want to see if anyone knows about that.

We hear it is a quiet neighborhood (another plus for us) so have difficult time understanding why some people were downing Sugarmill Woods.

We are beginning to look both at new and resale homes but would like to get some folks current opinions rather than those back in 2008 and such

We really appreciate your feedback? suggestions? restaurants? (we are in our 60's so schools are not important).

Thanks so much to anyone who will respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicaltoo View Post
I have read some of the older forums abut Sugarmill Woods but wanted to get some more current information. We have visited there and actually fell in love with it. My husband and I love the outdoors and so tired of the retirement community we live in (Ocala) jut one home after the other, so close to each other, same ol' same ol'. Anyway, I know they have strict HOA rules but we have them where we are now. In fact we find these rules a blessing. The place prior to this did not enforce any rules at all and wound up with horrible trucks without wheels int he driveways, above ground pools for the kiddies in the front lawns etc. So we don't have a problem with rules, we have read them via internet so are ok on that.

We have heard it has a better than average safety/crime numbers so that is good.
We love love love the greenbelt woods, this is just fantastic to us.

But we read in an older forum about and expressway or something to go through Sugarmill woods? Guessing never came of it (think that was dated in 2008) but want to see if anyone knows about that.

We hear it is a quiet neighborhood (another plus for us) so have difficult time understanding why some people were downing Sugarmill Woods.

We are beginning to look both at new and resale homes but would like to get some folks current opinions rather than those back in 2008 and such

We really appreciate your feedback? suggestions? restaurants? (we are in our 60's so schools are not important).

Thanks so much to anyone who will respond.
Hi,

It is a lovely area and my wife and I bought two adjoining lots there. family matters changed our plans and we sold one lot and kept the other. We had thought we might still build there and we sold the one at a good time.

My favorite point is that your back lot is either on the gold course (not my favorite) or a green belt. Neighbors only on the sides if at all (lots of lots). Beautiful treed lots are common. Our remaining one is a level lot with trees in a nice area. Now it looks like I will be listing it as we moved to Tn at the foot of the Smokies and it is nice here. My wife does not want to move.

I covered a lot of the State looking for a nice area, fairly balanced weather (not as hot and huimid as Southern , FL and no major storm issues) and a bit rural as well, yet everything needed is close by. Sugar Mill Woods is very nice and well cared for and ... the HOA is CHEAP.

Let me know if I can help in any way as I was just there seeing a real estate agent last week.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 AM

195 posts, read 364,796 times
Sugarmill Woods is nice place to live, it is a greenery place all around city have trees and also natural points. A lot hotels or restaurant are available there.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
We moved to SMW in August of this year at left NJ for good. There were too many drunk neighbors, shootings, helicopters, kidnappings, armed robberies, drugs, gangs... we were just tired of it and decided to move down here to Sugarmill Woods when our youngest son graduated High School.

We find this place absolutely charming. The HOA (known as POA) restrictions are available on-line. They are not over-bearing and are what I call "common sense, quality of life" rules and regulations.

If you prefer to live next to the Munsters, and do engine rebuilds or brake relines in your driveway, this place is NOT for you. If you take pride in ownership and want to feel good about yourself, your neighbors and the community... come on in.

The crime rate, well... there is no real measurable crime, nor will there be. Many retired police officers, and retired military officers live in this area. Neighbors mind to themselves as they please, but they also have each other's backs. The residents are very nice. If someone is in need of assistance, they are not afraid to call a neighbor.

The Crime Watch vehicles patrol this area heavily and are directly linked to the Sheriff's Office via radio. Many Crime Watch Volunteers are retired Law Enforcement Officers.

The greenbelt is great. It creates very nice, attractive privacy. We have grapes growing in our greenbelt which are Muscadine and very tasty. Hummingbirds and butterflies are out and about in the summer.

The houses have concrete exterior walls, not just a stucco on lath, but thick concrete which keeps any traffic noise negligible.

People maintain their yards.

POA dues is $90.00 a YEAR, not a month, but a YEAR.

If you abide by a few simple common sense rules, like the ones that generally apply to everyone everywhere on God's green earth (except that they just don't feel compelled to follow them and don't give a rats rear-end about anyone else but themselves), you'll enjoy this place.

People live here, when they get too old, they sell. People are born everyday, and people pass-on everyday. It's just a fact of life. No one or no rule(s) are pushing anyone out. Houses just go up for sale when people(s) personal situation(s) change.

We may be "in the sticks", but we have everything you need and there is plenty to do. It's fun. A guy from NJ has a pizza shop just up the road on 19. The annual Christmas Boat Parade is on tonight in the Homosassa River. I never heard of such a thing coming from Ewing Twp NJ, 2 streets up from Trenton NJ. It's going to be great. 75 degrees and sun today at the end of December. Beautiful.

My family feels very comfortable, very safe and blessed to live here.

Last edited by karp45; 12-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 AM

130 posts, read 234,239 times
We considered the area as well and I'm sure that all the comments are entirely accurate except one...Being in Florida last summer it certainly seemed that the entire state is hot and muggy...We finally decided on Southwest Florida for the tropical vegetation...

Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
We bought our 1st home in SMW (Oak Village South) in 2009. Sold that, bought a lot just up the same street and built a new home there in 2013. Guess we didn't like the neighborhood. ;-) I've met a number of folks who are on their 2nd or 3rd home in SMW.

We live there 6 months of the year & in MI the other 6.

This is the perfect area for us. Nice weather all winter. Wear shorts most days. Fairly rural area, which is our preference but many more urban amenities that our northern home - which is really rural (50 mile round trip to grocery shop).

If you're a beach person, this is not the place for you. There are a couple of gulf beaches within a 45 minute drive but they're nothing special. If, on the other hand, you're into river kayaking you'll be in heaven. I can leave my house and be in my kayak on the Chassahowitska River in 20 minutes. This river is totally spring-fed (72 degrees year round) and travels through the Chassahowitska national wildlife refuge. You're paddling through wilderness to the Gulf. The Chaz is just one of many beautiful rivers close by.

Most folks in SMW are 60+. Very friendly. Very active. Lots of walkers, bike riders, etc. Easy to meet folks. Of course, being FL, there are several golf courses nearby. SMW has 2 members-only golf clubs but there are several good public courses in the area.

As mentioned, the green belt is a big plus. Of the 7,000 (???) acres that make up SMW, 1/3 is green belt. You can hardly see a house to the rear of most lots. The smallest lot size is 1/4 acre, much larger than most FL subs I've visited, Many folks opt to build on 2 lots. Homes are well maintained.

I've seen no area I'd choose to live in than Citrus County and no neighborhood other than SMW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida