Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 AM

717 posts, read 452,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Florida has kind of four cultures in one state, for what I can see it's, more or less, as follows:

Midwestern Florida: SW Florida and Tampa Bay
Northeastern Florida: Central Florida and all of the east except for Miami-Dade
Southern Florida: The entire panhandle, North Central Florida and the west coast north of Tampa Bay (including Pasco and Hernando counties)
Latin American Florida: Duh... Obvious isn't it?

And then you have the Keys which is kind of unique in Florida.

Agree or disagree?
The keys is like the New Orleans spicy Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 PM

622 posts, read 427,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
What parts of Miami Dade isn't Latin American? Are there any parts of MD where one can go and not feel like you're in a part of Latin America? If there is, I haven't found it yet.
Overtown

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM

21 posts, read 19,893 times
Fascinating topic. I’ve lived in Florida for a year and a half (from Atlanta). The state is very transient and has a constant flow of tourists and snowbirds here from up north. More of the state is Southern than people on this thread are admitting. You can’t really segment the whole state into these exclusive regional and ethnic cultures. Most of the northern influence is limited to the coast whether it’s Sarasota or Palm Beach or wherever. Once you venture inland within these same counties, it gets more native Floridian/Southern. All the major cities are diverse, but not devoid of Southern culture. People tend to forget the native African American population that is Southern as well. It’ll always be transient especially because of the retirees, but honestly they’re only here temporarily living out the rest of their lives. The natives will always be here.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Florida has kind of four cultures in one state, for what I can see it's, more or less, as follows:

Midwestern Florida: SW Florida and Tampa Bay
Northeastern Florida: Central Florida and all of the east except for Miami-Dade
Southern Florida: The entire panhandle, North Central Florida and the west coast north of Tampa Bay (including Pasco and Hernando counties)
Latin American Florida: Duh... Obvious isn't it?

And then you have the Keys which is kind of unique in Florida.

Agree or disagree?
Disagree. There is Dixie Florida and The Floribbean. State Road 40 is the dividing line. Dixie Florida is the zone historically known for being Alabama-Georgia Jr its the area of the state first developed as a spill over from the cotton states. Then you have the part of the state discovered during World War 2. The part I call the Floribbean. The swamps. The wetlands. The part closest to the Caribbean islands.

I would take your list and break it down like this
Southern Florida = Dixie Florida

The Floribbean
SW Florida and Tampa Bay
Central Florida
Miami-Dade
Latin American Florida

Old 04-20-2023, 12:41 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
Florida is seniors.
People say they're from up north and they mean Lake Okeechobee. Or from the west coast and they mean Tampa.
My friend in the Keys originally from New Jersey said she'd never go back because they never go out. They go to work then go home and watch tv.
If they're from Ohio they say they've never seen a parade of pro*stit*utes before and I explain this is normal Caribbean dress. Even if they're 300lbs.
Everybody moving in to this tiny state from all over the world is clogging up traffic worse than it already is and making everybody stressed worse than they are.

Old 04-20-2023, 12:44 PM

140 posts, read 111,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Florida is seniors.
People say they're from up north and they mean Lake Okeechobee. Or from the west coast and they mean Tampa.
My friend in the Keys originally from New Jersey said she'd never go back because they never go out. They go to work then go home and watch tv.
If they're from Ohio they say they've never seen a parade of pro*stit*utes before and I explain this is normal Caribbean dress. Even if they're 300lbs.
Everybody moving in to this tiny state from all over the world is clogging up traffic worse than it already is and making everybody stressed worse than they are.
First off, this post is 10 years old, outdated and irrelevant. Second, you're not the only one who is allowed to offer all that Florida has to offer. If folks from Ohio and, God help us, even NJ, want to come live here, that's their right. If you don't like it and you're finding yourself no longer enjoying FL, I suggest 95 North to greener pastures.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:59 AM

267 posts, read 262,358 times
[quote=kyle19125;28544255]
Quote:
More or less I agree with the rest but this is way too broad a generalization. Central Florida is a mix of "Southern", some "Northeasterners" and an increasing Hispanic population (mostly Puerto Rican).
The greater Orlando area (not Central Florida as a whole) is very Latin American, from Clermont and Deltona in the north to Poinciana and Haines City/Davenport in the south. Kissimmee and Poinciana are also considered "Little Puerto Rico". But Orlando also has large Colombian, Venezuelan and Brazilian communities. If you love Latin America like I do, then the Orlando area is the right place for you: great Latin fiestas and concerts, Latin music gallore, authentic Latin food, very friendly people and a great vibe!

On the other hand, if you do not want to hear Spanish spoken basically everywhere, stay away from this area.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:23 PM

17,190 posts, read 15,390,629 times
[quote=germanoricua;65190031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

The greater Orlando area (not Central Florida as a whole) is very Latin American, from Clermont and Deltona in the north to Poinciana and Haines City/Davenport in the south. Kissimmee and Poinciana are also considered "Little Puerto Rico". But Orlando also has large Colombian, Venezuelan and Brazilian communities. If you love Latin America like I do, then the Orlando area is the right place for you: great Latin fiestas and concerts, Latin music gallore, authentic Latin food, very friendly people and a great vibe!

On the other hand, if you do not want to hear Spanish spoken basically everywhere, stay away from this area.
This post is spot on.
Orlando just hosted a MASSIVE Puerto Rican parade downtown a few days ago. And yes, East Orlando is primarily Hispanic. As is a huge swath of Osceola County.
Go towards I-Drive, and an impressive number of businesses are Brazilian, with Portuguese signs all over. Several amazing Brazilian restaurants as well.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:27 PM

17,190 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Florida is seniors.
If your friend lived in NJ and never went out, that's entirely her fault.
As for people dressing scantily in FL, have you ever been to NYC during the summer months? Women are literally in underwear walking up and down sidewalks. I've seen some topless (I believe it's even legal up there?) They get to do that only a few months out of the year, and so they do.

The state isn't "tiny," by the way. It's actually quite large.

Send me your neighbor's address please -- I'll try to remind them not to pee in your Cheerios ever again.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
[quote=Arcenal813;65191013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post

This post is spot on.
Orlando just hosted a MASSIVE Puerto Rican parade downtown a few days ago. And yes, East Orlando is primarily Hispanic. As is a huge swath of Osceola County.
Go towards I-Drive, and an impressive number of businesses are Brazilian, with Portuguese signs all over. Several amazing Brazilian restaurants as well.
Believe it or not, this spills over into little ole' Lakeland too! Just had a "Salsa in the Park" fiesta yesterday in downtown, and there are all sorts of Latin restaurants of every flavor here, from food trucks to high end restaurants. They also do "Buena Market" once a month, and a big Hispanic Festival once per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida