Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 07:04 PM

37 posts, read 220,256 times

Advertisements

So, I am thinking of moving to FLA. Most likely the SW Gulf Coast. I am from the Mid-Hudson Valley, NY (2hrs north of NYC). A suburban area with all of the amenities. I am looking for a similar area in Florida, but don't know where to begin. Do not like Pasco or Pinellas counties. Looking for a town in Sarasota County. Two issues, I am a 30 yr old gay male and I have a brother that is mentally-ill(high-functioning). So I need an area that can accomodate both of our needs. Close proximity to doctors and an accepting community with okay nightlife. (Not Tampa, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) Do not want to be in a traffic jam all day!!!!! What about the suburbs of Orlando? Is it okay there, since I've only been to Disney... Looking for a newer home (low-mid 300). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,037,410 times
Palm Beach County will fulfill your needs.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
I think a lot of Florida would suit you as much of Florida is suburban in nature.

Most of the major Florida cities are gay-friendly, but some have more significant gay communities. I'm in Jax, and though the city is fairly gay-friendly, the gay and lesbian communities here are small.

I'd look closely into your brother's needs. Social Services seem to be lacking all over Florida and you may not find the support he needs everywhere here - it is not like NY. If he needs particular types of doctors/support groups/etc., I'd be certain those were in place before making any moves.

Orlando is okay, it wouldn't be my choice (no Ocean, too much Disney, too hot in the middle of the state, etc.), but there is nightlife and plenty of people (maybe TOO MANY people based on what you're looking for ).

If you're willing to live in the middle of the state, have you thought about Gainesville? If you're coming from the Catskill Mountain area, Gainesville might be your speed (might find good care for your brother there too).

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM

20 posts, read 69,951 times
Default Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernanbev View Post
So, I am thinking of moving to FLA. Most likely the SW Gulf Coast. I am from the Mid-Hudson Valley, NY (2hrs north of NYC). A suburban area with all of the amenities. I am looking for a similar area in Florida, but don't know where to begin. Do not like Pasco or Pinellas counties. Looking for a town in Sarasota County. Two issues, I am a 30 yr old gay male and I have a brother that is mentally-ill(high-functioning). So I need an area that can accomodate both of our needs. Close proximity to doctors and an accepting community with okay nightlife. (Not Tampa, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) Do not want to be in a traffic jam all day!!!!! What about the suburbs of Orlando? Is it okay there, since I've only been to Disney... Looking for a newer home (low-mid 300). Thanks
Did you ever find such a place? I am very curious as I live in Pasco county. One of the places you ruled out. Outside of places you have already ruled out, I don't think such a place exists anywhere in Florida.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,302 times
Quote:
Tallahassee....except there would not be much nightlife.

But I'm not gay, so there may be more going on than I know about.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 16,941 times
Quote:
I live in the suburbs of West Palm Beach. Traffic not an issue after rush hour. Crime everywhere but here it is petty stuff. Live in a condo on what the call the "lake worth" corridor. Get good deals. best medical places for chlildren, Danny Thomas Hospital further west on SR 441, in town (WPB) Good Sam Hospital and St. Marys' - both trauma hospitals. Almost disconnected the people up here from people from Miami 1 1/2 hours south.

Let me ask you I am looking to move back to Hudson valley myself. Looking only for 1 DR house or Condo w/my cat. Low housing and if condo===the maintencence can't be as hight as what I am paying no 349 per month-which is crazy working a t a non profit plus paying a mortgage. Let me know about New Paultz/Kingston quiet/gay friendkly places to buy that are not in the hundreds of thousands. I live in High Falls as a kid up until 10 and went all over to Aligerville, Ellennville, Kerhonkson and Mohonk trail.
Let me know Tommy--if you want to call let me know on this . cheers man

Old 11-10-2023, 08:00 PM

12 posts, read 16,941 times
Hey-I think u consider West Palm Beach SUBURBS, They are Wellington,, royal palm Beach, Loxahatchee---the Danny Thomas Childrens Hopital is on the high speed US441 and we have world class hsopitals Good Sam and st. mary's hopitals as well as JFK hospitals. All credentialed hospitals. Palm Beach County is I would say gay accepting, we even have our own PBC Sheriff Gay Liason-that should say something. Miami is 1 1/2 hours away - stay away from it- don't need that neadache.

Also former New York Stateer wants to move back to Hundson Valley. Any thoughts If I sell my condo, where to guy in the cities I remember Kingston/Kerhonkson/New Palts/ nothing over the hudson bridge PLEASE. Just a 1 bedroom house w/cat. thats it. One bedroom is fine. What arethe prices of that??? In those areas are there homophobic anti gays in crtain areas to avoid in Hundon Velley???? Thanks.....any questions DM me thanks Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida