Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I'm born and reared in G'ville - Alachua General Hospital - 1963.

I can't imagine being a well known college athletic Coach, being paid ridiculous sums of money, glorifying extreme controlled violence, a sport called American College Football. You're paid millions of dollars to teach very young men - kids, how to kill each other without the use of a weapon.

Urban Meyer, Spurrier, Pell, Hall, Dickey, Graves, etc ... Maybe the highest paid employees in Alachua County, and doing what on a Friday Night ... ? Eating greasy fried steak at Grandys? Cheap, greasy Leonardos Pizza? A stroll at the watch-all-the-brothas-pants-falling-down Oaks Mall?

The reason Florida Football is a religion in Central Florida is because most people live a life of existance, and their only escape from the 9-5 job at GRU, Hitchcocks, etc, is " The Game " on Saturday.

The only thing I miss in G'ville, is GHFC ( Gainesville Health & Fitness Center ) ... a wonderful 24 hour Fitness Center / Gym.

A message to anyone over 40 years of age with no kids still living in G'ville: You're not alone. Invest in that Piggy Bank, and plan your escape. It will, and can happen. I am proof, because I did it.

Peace
Sounds like you associated yourself with a lowly group of people. Gainesville has plenty of educated residents with plenty of activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM

258 posts, read 614,744 times
GN -

Maybe you should re-take 2nd grade, again.

I said, yes, G'ville does have educated people.

However, if I were a well known successful UF Coach, I certainly would not stick around Alachua County - Nothing To Do. Not one Coach ever stayed a UF longer that 10 years. Andy R. - an exception.

It's college town, period.

Medium age is 21 years old

I have many friends still living there, all over 43 years of age, single and no kids. If they won the Lotto tomorrow, each one would be a one way ticket to SF, SD, Vegas, Rio, Medellin, Dominique, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
GN -

Maybe you should re-take 2nd grade, again.

I said, yes, G'ville does have educated people.

However, if I were a well known successful UF Coach, I certainly would not stick around Alachua County - Nothing To Do. Not one Coach ever stayed a UF longer that 10 years. Andy R. - an exception.

It's college town, period.

Medium age is 21 years old

I have many friends still living there, all over 43 years of age, single and no kids. If they won the Lotto tomorrow, each one would be a one way ticket to SF, SD, Vegas, Rio, Medellin, Dominique, etc.
Yes it is a town for college students and families. It's also one of the most educated cities in Florida. It sounds like you didn't fit into the things Gainesville has going for it.

Your friends sound like they need to be more successful and control where they live.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Moment of amusement tonight- we're at a traffic light and the minivan ahead of us has a U of F specialty plate with URBAN as the vanity lettering. Wondering if they're now counting down the days until plate renewal so they can change it.

As for the 10+ year coaching club, different sport and all, but Gregg Troy's been a head swim coach at U of F since 1998, could take just about any other open head coaching or national team director job literally in the world if he wanted it, but seems very firmly planted in Gainesville.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
I'm born and reared in G'ville - Alachua General Hospital - 1963.

I can't imagine being a well known college athletic Coach, being paid ridiculous sums of money, glorifying extreme controlled violence, a sport called American College Football. You're paid millions of dollars to teach very young men - kids, how to kill each other without the use of a weapon.

Urban Meyer, Spurrier, Pell, Hall, Dickey, Graves, etc ... Maybe the highest paid employees in Alachua County, and doing what on a Friday Night ... ? Eating greasy fried steak at Grandys? Cheap, greasy Leonardos Pizza? A stroll at the watch-all-the-brothas-pants-falling-down Oaks Mall?

The reason Florida Football is a religion in Central Florida is because most people live a life of existance, and their only escape from the 9-5 job at GRU, Hitchcocks, etc, is " The Game " on Saturday.

The only thing I miss in G'ville, is GHFC ( Gainesville Health & Fitness Center ) ... a wonderful 24 hour Fitness Center / Gym.

A message to anyone over 40 years of age with no kids still living in G'ville: You're not alone. Invest in that Piggy Bank, and plan your escape. It will, and can happen. I am proof, because I did it.

Peace
goodbye.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Seriously, what the hell is your problem? If people are going to trash my home state especially when I've done nothing but pay compliments to yours, then I'm going to defend my home state! Yeah, we're not blessed with beautiful weather 12 months out of the year like Florida! DUH! We've taken a hit in manufacturing jobs sure(BTW what type of manufacturing is there in Florida again?) Do you guys actually manufacture anything down there other than meth? Were it not for the folks from places like Ohio, Michigan, PA and other rust belt areas you all would have NOTHING! Now I realize a lot of manufacturing jobs have left the US for cheaper labor, but the rust belt is where the majority of the manufacturing was done in this country. Furthermore, remind me again how YOUR economy is doing again? Seems to me your economy has taken quite a hit, and if it weren't for us northerners visiting your state in droves you wouldn't have near the tourism dollars that you do now. Sure you'd still have farming and fishing, but oops, get a big freeze, and that goes out the window.

I like your state. I really do. I have a lot of great memories of visiting Florida. But I'm still fond of my home state, and it's hardworking people, and I'm not going to sit here and put up with someone bashing it. I don't care if it's the Florida forum or not! So no, I won't accept it!

But I digress. My response was regarding the OP stating that in fairness to Urban Meyer he is originally from here. You can't fault him for wanting to return home and taking the opportunity to be back with family and friends. It wasn't meant to add to the OP's obvious attempt to bash Florida.
from a native Floridian..... good post. I still like Florida and don't like to see it bashed either.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM

128 posts, read 192,678 times
If you get money the best move you can make is to get out of there .

gatornation your the smartest person I have ever heard from Florida , after the rest of you have lived in that hell hole for 40 years then tell us how great it is.

And people from the midwest they go there use Florida like the trailer parks they come from and go back I am not sure why you care where Urban is he sure dont he is sick really you have wriiten proof of that sounds like the old get out of the GM factory with a good excuse while I can his meal ticket was done with Tebone.

They jets are wating even more money bringing him there

Last edited by seogorilla; 03-28-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seogorilla View Post
If you get money the best move you can make is to get out of there .

gatornation your the smartest person I have ever heard from Florida , after the rest of you have lived in that hell hole for 40 years then tell us how great it is.

And people from the midwest they go there use Florida like the trailer parks they come from and go back I am not sure why you care where Urban is he sure dont he is sick really you have wriiten proof of that sounds like the old get out of the GM factory with a good excuse while I can his meal ticket was done with Tebone.

They jets are wating even more money bringing him there
Like every state it depends on what city you live in and what people you want to be surrounded by. Personally there are only two cities in Florida that I would live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida