Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM

32 posts, read 266,021 times

Advertisements

Or what don't you care for now that you've bought and lived there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
Well, first let me say that The Villages is a one of a kind place....and with a population approaching 100,000 people, obviously there are many folks who love it.

But there is good and bad about everyplace. You are asking for some cons, so here are a few.

1) Higher then average HOA fees and CDD fees. In addition to paying your HOA fees, new lots have a development fee which I believe is about 10-15k. This is known there as your bond fee. It is supposed to pay for the future amenities and infrastructure, etc.

2) The homes they build there have limited options.

3) Most homes have a smaller lot size. Some like that.

4) I find it very busy in the winter months.

You may want to read the book, Leisureville. It is a controversial review of The Villages. I read it and did not agree with some of it, but it was interesting.

I own a place about 13 miles south of there. We visit up there every so often. Folks there seem very happy there. The bottom line is that when you buy there you are not just buying a house, you are buying a lifestyle. That lifestyle has a cost and a value. Many think it is well worth it. Some may not.

Like it or not, it is an amazing place. You can also check out their forum, Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida

Frank

Old 02-10-2011, 03:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Frank, as far as #2 in your list, a LOT of people remodel as soon as the house is finished, putting in the upgrades they want.
I've done a lot of design work in The Villages, and this is what clients invariably tell me.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM

32 posts, read 266,021 times
thanks for the input folks........Frank, if you don't mind, what community are you currently in ? seemed like there were many hidden costs associated with the Villages.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM

jimcat, I'll send you a PM. As a Mod, I try to be a bit less "out there". We sometimes take some abuse from some real wackjobs......

I'll say that where I am our HOA fees are only $85.00 a month. Our community is owned by US, not the developer, and the association is very solid financially. Those are important points to consider when you are looking.

There are many nice 55+ communities around. Hardly a bad one in the bunch....most all look good, but one will just "click" or feel just right. Best way to check is to stay in the area awhile and look everywhere.....

kshe95girl,
Yes, you are right. But some upgrades are just easier and cheaper to do when building.....sad that they are not offered. Like central vac for instance. As a person who has designed and built my own home, I understand the value of doing things the way you want the first time.....

Frank

Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

kshe95girl,
Yes, you are right. But some upgrades are just easier and cheaper to do when building.....sad that they are not offered. Like central vac for instance. As a person who has designed and built my own home, I understand the value of doing things the way you want the first time.....

Frank
Totally agree with you, Frank, I think its a terrible waste of resources, I never have figured out why they wont allow it.
I worked for Armstrong when they were building in a retirement community 10 years ago, they had every kind of upgrade imaginable.
If the buyer wanted it, the buyer got it.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 106,847 times
Default Are there retirement communities around the Villages, fl.?

Enjoyed the Villages and the lifestyle when we visited. The monthly cost however will not work for us. Are there other retirement communites in close proximity to the Villages that might be a more affordable fit? Willing to pay up to $175,000 for a home and hopefully have monthly fees much lower than the Villages. Can pay more for the home if necessary.
I am assuming that the outside activities are available to anyone, right? What about the other activities? Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Spruce Creek Golf and Country Club is a nice community just north of The Villages. We considered moving to that area but ultimately chose Fort Myers/Estero/Bonita Springs and am extremely happy with the move. Many affordable communities here too in that price range.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnimmon View Post
Enjoyed the Villages and the lifestyle when we visited. The monthly cost however will not work for us. Are there other retirement communites in close proximity to the Villages that might be a more affordable fit? Willing to pay up to $175,000 for a home and hopefully have monthly fees much lower than the Villages. Can pay more for the home if necessary.
I am assuming that the outside activities are available to anyone, right? What about the other activities? Thanks
Yes, there are many very nice gated communities in the area. One would do well to visit the area and take a look at a lot of them. Most all are nice, one will just "feel right".

My community is about 13 miles south of The Villages. Around us are The Plantation, Legacy, Arlington Ridge, Hawthorne, Lakes of Mt Dora, Highland lakes, etc,etc,etc.....many more.

Our Place is already built out and wholly owned by the owners, not the developers. Our HOA fees are only $85.00 a month. Our Activity centers are beautiful and our golf courses are nice, and are in the black. Our HOA has a good amount in the bank, and there is a lot to do. We have no bond fees.

If you have the time, visit the area and check all the area out...prices are quite good right now.

I'm not selling anything...just trying to answer your questions....we love it down there and can't wait to sell our NY home and become full time Floridians....

Frank

Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 193,813 times
Why we are leaving the Villages....
1) Too crowded - especially Jan-Mar when you can't hardly move around here. The resturants are packed to the gills starting at 4:00 and packed until about 9:00 which is when they roll up the streets here -see #2. Tee times and activities are packed and many times you can't get in the activities at the centers, they are FULL. If you are a half-hour early - you're LATE. Lots of standing around.
Never buy a house at the Villages until you have experienced snow bird season. If you can stand it, this is the place for you.
2) This place closes at 9:00 except for a few bars. If you are still eating at nine, since you couldn't get in earlier, your server will stand behind you for every bite. Once the town square close the streets are empty. We call 9:00 Villages Midnight.
3) The entertainment and the events are all exactly the same. Every holiday is like every other holiday. Same parade participants, same entertainment, cloggers, cheerleaders, baton twirlers. When you 've seen it, you've seen it. They don't even bother to make a change. The songs that are played by every band are played by EVERY band. If I hear Mustang Sally one more time I'll puke. Line dancing is a sport here. The entertainment at Savannah Center is all tribute or lookalike bands.
4) I'm tired of waking up to ambulances. Senior community, do the math.
5) Politics are tough here. You had better be a tea party Republican or you are not welcome. All the tea party favorite are treated like royalty here, Dems barely get a small room anywhere. Dissenters were actually kicked out of the public square for having signs that stated their opinion. I can't stand the public pools because it's a bombardment of political discussions with high tempers and only conservative views, like the newspaper. If you read the letters to the editor the vitupritve rhetoric is frightening, encouraging gov't overthrow. My goodness people, turn off Fox News and get out in the sun. See #6
6) Fox News is everywhere, you can't escape it unless you stay home.
7) We spent $48,000 in improvements on our brand new home, lost $25,000 when we sell because I want out.
8) The lots are so small, youarethisclose to your neighbors. We bought a $290,000 designer home only to have $160,000 cottages within 20 feet behind us. Our neighbors are great, but home many homes do you need to cram in a small space?
9) I think it's ridiculous that "The Developer" is the man who is never mentioned by name, or in hushed tones like he's some deity that you have to bow your head if you say GARY MORSE. Seriously people. I know this place pratically prints in own money, but he's not God for heavens sake. BTW - don't ever try and find him, he lives like Elvis did.

The Villages is not for everybody. Yes you can golf, in the summer when it's 90 degrees, there are activities if you get there early enough, you can drive your golf cart to the store if some elderly person or landscaper doesn't run you down, and they have activities at the squares, if you are a little senile maybe you won't remember that you've seen in 8 tmes a year for the last 3 years.

We are moving to a mixed community near a big city Tampa for more things to do, a little culture and a little room to breath. Thanks for letting me vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida