Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 10:03 PM

44 posts, read 64,137 times

Advertisements

I'm a physician looking at moving to northern AZ to work and retire. I would mainly be working in Flagstaff and sometimes in Cottonwood. Any areas of Flag or further down towards Cottonwood you recommend? The housing prices in Sedona are stunning albeit beautiful houses and views. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 03:02 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
What is your budget and desired climate? Those are a couple of the questions I would immediately ask.

Sedona is a hot mess. Avoid it.

RM

Old 07-29-2023, 05:52 PM

I was looking at Sedona. What is the problem?

Old 07-30-2023, 12:48 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia1997 View Post
I was looking at Sedona. What is the problem?
Traffic and being way way over crowded. Maybe a local has better perspective but as a Phoenix native and avid mountain biker I can tell you that I just dont even bother riding there in the spring and fall because of the tourist crowds. The traffic backup on SR179 between Village of Oak Creek and Sedona is just absurd.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:02 AM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Sedona is overrun with tourists, so if you want to live there I would suggest the side of town closer to Cottonwood.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:38 PM

I would be working mainly in Flagstaff.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:17 PM

Cottonwood is an easy hour, maybe less, from various parts of Flagstaff. In the winter it can be a challenge, as I-17 is often the scene of wrecks and jackknifed trailers. Sedona would be more of a challenge, as it doesn't take much to close down 89. Not to mention the throngs of tourists that blanket the place year-round.

Housing will be a challenge, as it always is, but less of one in Flagstaff compared to Sedona as well.

RM

Old 07-30-2023, 08:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
If you are going to work in Flag you need to live up in that area. The less expensive area seems to be the east side, but you are still well over 1/2 million for a starter home. Belmont and William's are options, but in the winter you may or may not be able to use the freeway during storms. Kachina Village is more of a cabin style working folks area, but last I looked still in mid 6 figures.

Traffic is terrible much of the time. Millions of tourists visit the area. Millions.

It's not really realistic to commute from Sedona anymore. But it's probably one of the most scenic commutes you'll find anywhere.

Also, Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet. How's your heart and lungs?

The final reason we never moved to Flag - it is a huge, very dry pine forest. With a LOT of people using and living in it.
Every year there's a big fire on the mountain, sooner or later there's going to be a bad one right in town.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, do you already have work lined up in Flagstaff? First of all, I'd recommend living in town or on the outskirts of the town, for easy commuting to work. Winter is a particular concern, as blizzards are common. You don't want to have to be on the highway in that weather. But I'm also wondering if you could consider Santa Fe, NM. Milder weather, a nicer town if you enjoy the arts, and the tourists are mostly around downtown. There are a number of nice neighborhoods. Someone mentioned altitude: Santa Fe is at 7000 ft., like Flag.

Flagstaff is on a major truck route; there's lots of trucking traffic through town constantly, as well as passing by town on the highway. Have you spent much time there? In any case, my understanding is, that the more affordable RE there is on the periphery of town.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, do you already have work lined up in Flagstaff? First of all, I'd recommend living in town or on the outskirts of the town, for easy commuting to work. Winter is a particular concern, as blizzards are common. You don't want to have to be on the highway in that weather. But I'm also wondering if you could consider Santa Fe, NM. Milder weather, a nicer town if you enjoy the arts, and the tourists are mostly around downtown. There are a number of nice neighborhoods. Someone mentioned altitude: Santa Fe is at 7000 ft., like Flag.

Flagstaff is on a major truck route; there's lots of trucking traffic through town constantly, as well as passing by town on the highway. Have you spent much time there? In any case, my understanding is, that the more affordable RE there is on the periphery of town.
Trucks don’t transit the downtown, they’re pretty much limited to I-40 and the area around the exit for Butler Ave. avoid that area, which is easy to do, and you avoid the trucks.

I will say that when looking for places to live that you pay close attention to the presence of I-40, as there is a lot of noise from interstate traffic.

“More affordable” is a subjective term. The OP has yet to address their housing budget, and until they do any suggestion of places to consider for housing is pretty useless. Suffice to say, if they’re looking to purchase the entry point is at minimum $500k, with a “sweet spot” around $700k-$800k.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona