Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 12:35 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times

Advertisements

Just curious: when does it start "feeling like winter" in Flagstaff, and when does it start feeling like spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 08:18 AM

157 posts, read 567,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Just curious: when does it start "feeling like winter" in Flagstaff, and when does it start feeling like spring?
In a few hours. We're getting our first hard freeze tonight, and the temperature is dropping 20 degrees. The weather will be warmer again from time to time in November before becoming consistently cold with December freezes. Spring is difficult to pinpoint as well. The wind gets warmer in April, and suddenly dies half way through June.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:40 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Right now, even though it's a little early this year or seems like it.

Understand that it's a place of (sort of) extremes in the sense that it can snow overnight and be in the 20s and by mid afternoon the next day it's in the 50s and the snow has melted.

One other thing to consider is the "feel" of the climate. The low humidity makes it feel quite pleasant even when it's cold. It's not the damp, bone-chilling cold of the Midwest or New England. I grew up in the Midwest and find that the cold in Flagstaff is nowhere near as bad as it was there.

Spring, as a previous poster mentioned, is equally tough to pinpoint, however, it's known for the wind, which blows constantly and often at high speed. It's not uncommon to have high wind warnings in the spring for wind gusts as high as 50 mph or more. Do realize that the effects of this have a lot to do with the topography, so where you live may not be that bad. My house is in sort of a valley, and as a result I rarely get much wind, but the crowns of the trees do!

Despite the cold temperatures this week, it will be close to 60F this weekend. The one thing that's great about the climate here is the "brilliant sunshine" as the NWS often describes it. It's beautifully sunny most days, which, even on the coldest ones, makes it a wonderful place.

RM

Old 10-26-2022, 07:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
It's supposed to be a "La Nina" winter, so in theory warmer temperatures and less snowfall. I guess we'll see.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:00 PM

18 posts, read 19,370 times
6" fell in the Doney Park area overnight and gonna be chilly for a couple days.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:58 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Wow, for a place that far down latitudinally, Flagstaff sounds cold. Flagstaff must be high up in elevation (pardon my lack of knowledge about Arizona, I've never been there before). Thanks for all of this information. I am planning a trip to see the Grand Canyon, Painted Rocks, and other attractions near and around Flagstaff later in April and will probably base out of Flagstaff. It sounds like I will still have to make proper preparations and dress warmly. Does it rain a lot in Flagstaff in April? Does it snow then?

Old 12-17-2022, 01:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Wow, for a place that far down latitudinally, Flagstaff sounds cold. Flagstaff must be high up in elevation (pardon my lack of knowledge about Arizona, I've never been there before). Thanks for all of this information. I am planning a trip to see the Grand Canyon, Painted Rocks, and other attractions near and around Flagstaff later in April and will probably base out of Flagstaff. It sounds like I will still have to make proper preparations and dress warmly. Does it rain a lot in Flagstaff in April? Does it snow then?
Flagstaff is at 7000 feet elevation. April is usually a dry month all over Arizona. You can look up statistics for average temperatures in April for Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, etc. Layers are always appropriate for clothing in northern Arizona in spring. Enjoy your trip!

Old 12-17-2022, 07:25 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
It will be COLD in April. Bring warm clothing. It will likely be windy too. Flagstaff has gotten snow in April.

I camped out just south of Williams (close to Flagstaff) in late April a few years ago. It was extremely cold at night and there was still a bit of snow on the ground in places. Flagstaff is next to the mountains at a high elevation. Bring layers because it can get warm during the day. If you venture down to Sedona and the Cottonwood area like I did it gets really warm during the day, at least it did when I was in Cottonwood (campground).

Old 12-17-2022, 12:47 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
You're in for a treat. Arizona is a beautiful state and varies a lot from north to south.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Thanks everyone! We'll be sure to dress warmly. April is still kind of winter in Boston where I'm from anyways so we'll likely have to dress in layers just to get to the airport anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona