Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post

I've been passively looking at Grand Rapids Michigan or the South. Not thrilled about either but housing is affordable. But then, would I be some sort of horde descending on them and pissing the locals there off? Irony...
If you can handle pretty much not seeing the sun from November through March due to cloud cover created by Lake Michigan, Grand Rapids has a lot to offer. And while some parts of Ottawa County can still be rather 'If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much', the region as a whole is generally pretty pro-growth/pro-newcomers and figures that getting slightly overrun by hipsters, craft breweries, and central city apartment loft conversions beats the alternative seen in places like Flint or Saginaw or Benton Harbor.

It's a far more interesting place now than in the 1980s when I couldn't wait to get out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
I love Flagstaff, I think it is gorgeous. I love their scenery and weather, and the proximity to a huge metro. Love that they are in the middle of a forest and have so much outdoor adventure and wildlife. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could. But my profession there doesn't pay that well. I work in nursing and have looked into Flagstaff Medical Center... unfortunately the recruiter told me they do not negotiate on wages.

So for now I'll have to stick with visiting. Hopefully one day it can be called home.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you can handle pretty much not seeing the sun from November through March due to cloud cover created by Lake Michigan, Grand Rapids has a lot to offer. And while some parts of Ottawa County can still be rather 'If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much', the region as a whole is generally pretty pro-growth/pro-newcomers and figures that getting slightly overrun by hipsters, craft breweries, and central city apartment loft conversions beats the alternative seen in places like Flint or Saginaw or Benton Harbor.

It's a far more interesting place now than in the 1980s when I couldn't wait to get out of there.
As a former Michigander of several years I would say your description of the place is right on

Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
Okay, I will have to defend my california friends. First, we are NOT all liberals, most have moved to Austin Texas! I use the word 'most'. again, for most of us we do NOT have a attitude, but we are free thinkers, and speak our minds. So what's wrong with that? Secondly, if you live in the area of Flagstaff or not, but still concerned about the heights of buildings, you should be attending the City Council Meetings, and the Planning Committees or simply voice your opinion about how high building should be and why. In fact, if I were those in here still concerned, I'd still be voicing my concerns, because does anyone know if they plan on building more building in Flagstaff taller than 4 stories. I'd find out by calling the planning committee or the Major on Monday morning.
I do however, agree that they shouldn't be building tall building that block the views etc. nor the tops of mountains, I do not want to look up at a mountain and see a bunch of houses sitting there!
My suggestion, get to know the California folks and you'll find out fast why we're all leaving California, Can you say : Moonbeam!
Lastly, I moved to Texas but I'm thinking of moving to arizona, Texas is toooooo slow for me. unless you like 1960 era. But, I have Texas Plates....>smile<
I don't think I said anything about their politics. What is driving the housing costs is money being imported from another state. Whether it is Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota or California. Californians leaving California with a fat wad of cash from selling a home and/or bringing a WFH job in the $300k range to an area where the median income is a fraction of that...skews the housing market. They have done it to Colorado, it is happening in UT, ID, AZ and TX (Apparently none of them want to move in and ruin NM's housing market). It just happens. Not all of them leave the politics behind them where it destroyed the places they are moving from either.

No, I don't live there, and quite frankly it was only a matter of time before Flagstaff started outgrowing it's "small town, good ol boys" reputation...just commenting on how crazy the disparity is. We saw it in Santa Monica when we were vacationing there last year...and housing costs are almost epidemic all up and down the Left Coast.

Don't get me wrong, most of the people in AZ are from somewhere else. The original post was just from the perspective of an outsider that has been to Flagstaff a LOT over the past 30 years that I have lived here, and the (perceived) recent changes. There are plenty of CA, TX, MN, IL...wherever...plates in Chandler and the Metro Phoenix area. The sheer amount of out of state plates in Flagstaff on the other hand...and parked in front of houses (so not visiting) was dis-proportionate. I know the students don't have to change their plates if attending from out of state but if they are residents...they would need to change plates in 10 days from moving here. So I guess that just means they are either visiting, students, or breaking the law? I wish I could have afforded a $400k home when I was a student...

Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
I so want to rip on Californians moving here, but alas, I was one, but it was two decades ago.

I'll just say this. Seeing California plate after plate after plate is disheartening. It isn't the politics, it's just when you live in California, you have absorbed certain elements of a world view (even if you don't think you have, you have). It involves what you consider "civilization", how you think some things aught to be done and how people should act. This transcends politics and is a part of you. You bring it with you and it takes a long while for it to dissipate, and the local populations of the places you move to, already resentful for you running them out of the local housing market, pick up on this California vibe and how it permeates out of California expats. If enough of you gather together you begin to change the local flora and fauna to resemble California. Like in Prescott there are like over 20 Starbucks now if you count the ones in the stores. That is you folks changing things, without even realizing it, to be more like "back home".

I don't know what you should do with this information, just maybe it is important that you understand it so you can adjust better.

Last edited by infocyde; 10-15-2018 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I so want to rip on Californians moving here, but alas, I was one, but it was two decades ago.

I'll just say this. Seeing California plate after plate after plate is disheartening. It isn't the politics, it's just when you live in California, you have absorbed certain elements of a world view (even if you don't think you have, you have). It involves what you consider "civilization", how you think some things aught to be done and how people should act. This transcends politics and is a part of you. You bring it with you and it takes a long while for it to dissipate, and the local populations of the places you move to, already resentful for you running them out of the local housing market, pick up on this California vibe and how it permeates out of California expats. If enough of you gather together you begin to change the local flora and fauna to resemble California. Like in Prescott there are like over 20 Starbucks now if you count the ones in the stores. That is you folks changing things, without even realizing it, to be more like "back home".

I don't know what you should do with this information, just maybe it is important that you understand it so you can adjust better.
Very well said. I too am a California transplant, although my parents moved us out here 30+ years ago and I have now lived twice as long in AZ as I did in CA. We still have lots of family in CA though and their perception of the rest of the country is definitely skewed. They think their views are normal....but they aren't.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:47 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
You do hear stories of people in Oregon being openly hostile to Californians. Although that may have been years ago.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
You do hear stories of people in Oregon being openly hostile to Californians. Although that may have been years ago.
Not surprising in a state that forces you to use full service at the gas station to keep the service attendants employed. I would think that any imbalance to their economy would be met with some trepidation.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Before everyone starts "freaking out" about Californians invading Flagstaff, keep in mind that much of NAU's student population is from California. Therefore, they will bring California plates with them. Furthermore, their families will also visit them and you will see those California plates on the local roads too. Lots of these families will come up during the "Fall Break" to explore the town and foliage, then they'll leave again. If anything, Flagstaff and Arizona should be thankful for the infusion of California tourist money into its revenue base.

When these NAU students graduate, they will move back to California, or move on to other states. Almost none of them will stay in Flagstaff as there isn't much to offer them in the way of a career there.

Trust me when I say that there isn't a "rush" of Californians incoming into Flagstaff. There isn't the job base or the medical infrastructure to support that. Nobody from California that I know wants to drive 100 miles from Flagstaff to Phoenix for advanced medical care when they can live in Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead and be so much closer.

Yes, there may be the occasional California transplant here and there, but it's not overwhelming and its certainly not a huge rush!

Last edited by kttam186290; 10-16-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 03:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not surprising in a state that forces you to use full service at the gas station to keep the service attendants employed. I would think that any imbalance to their economy would be met with some trepidation.
Yet Californians pay more at the pump than Oregonians do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona