Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times

Advertisements

good luck....can you frankly ask about the licensing snafu and see if they have remedies/suggestions?...they should already know about the slowness, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,507,348 times
Exactly, azdr0710! I am going to call AZ RT Licensing this AM just before his call. I want to be more "up" on that before I talk to him. You're right - this is way too important to not try everything. This is an opportunity this Respiratory Therapist just can't pass up. If it works it will be a challenge, but that's a good thing, eh?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Well, man oh man. I've got good news. I talked with the Managing Partner this morning. We had a nice long talk and things went well. I decided to take him up on his offer to put me up in a hotel and come visit the Clinic in Flagstaff! He went over benefits, even. I will drive over there (it's about 500 miles to Flagstaff from here) in a week and a half and tour the facility, ask questions some more, be asked more questions, etc. If things continue along these lines "we'll proceed along to keep this ball rolling." My wife is welcome to come along (not a given but very nice of them since they're footing the bill) and we are both trying to contain our excitement.

We both decided that we will go see them in person and if an offer is extended it would only be right to mention the licensing slowness issue at that time. It really sounds to me like the Managing Partner is more interested in how long I will stay and give it a long time commitment rather than a "how soon can you start?" sort of thing. He made that clear, though I haven't brought up the licensing issue yet. Like has already been mentioned they are probably aware of other instances like this before. There's nothing tainting my license it's just expired now, so I have to re-apply all over again. And it will take 8-12 weeks to get the up-to-date license issued to me. I will mention it if an offer is extended (or during discussions before an offer is extended, there's time to think about what I will say) when we're over there about the State of AZ RT Licensing process that definitely must manifest itself and I'll venture to guess that HR will take over that issue at that point in time.

For now we're ecstatic and happy as larks over here in neighboring New Mexico. Oh, BTW, he also mentioned moving costs and offered to pay them, I said I'd investigate U-Haul truck+car hauler flatbed charges and relay the information back to his Assistant in Flagstaff.

WHOO-HOOOO! I think it's gonna really happen! I mentioned during the "long-term stay" part of the conversation how much I loved the area, the Grand Canyon being my favorite Park ever, hiking with the pups, etc. He said that's some of the stuff people working there all love about living there, too. He started out talking about the Chow Chow I have on my e-mail picture and asked about our dogs. He's also a "Dog Man", has three dogs, and things just got better and better from there on out!

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-05-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 PM

great news!....

my post just up above was actually suggesting that your new potential employer should already know about the licensing delays people (and future employees) are experiencing....and that the employer might have ways to expedite the license with the State for your (and their) benefit.....

I have a good friend in Alamogordo and I know living costs over there are not at all high, especially housing....I also know that city is not the most exciting locale in the world!!.....so be ready for higher living costs, but a funner city with a much more outdoor-oriented populace.....more vibrant downtown in Flag....much snowier than Alamogordo in the winter....culture and sports at NAU.....lots of public land to play on.....much more liberal vibe than Alamogordo, but also lots of old-timey rednecks.....

Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM

azdr0710 - thank you so much for your additions here and there. I will call on you later, if you don't mind, if I have a question of some kind about Flag. My wife and I and this same set of animals moved out of Willcox, AZ, in the spring of 2010 after having lived there for 3 1/2 years. Dusty old cowtown, Willcox. But the Chiracahua Range is really spectacular, one writer was comparing that National Park to the Grand Canyon for spectacular-ability. I kind of agree but it ain't no Grand Canyon!

Really pretty stoked about this because I'd like to work 8 more years and then retire in Arizona, so this news is wonderful for my wife and I. Love Bisbee and Wickenburg, but, who knows, maybe we'll love Flagstaff or little old Winslow even, we won't go after a rental house until the signing is done, so it's hunting and gathering time right now.

Yeah, you're right azdr0710, they may be able to start me under the umbrella of "Sleep Trainee" or something that doesn't require a regular medical license. We'll know in another week and a few days. Also, the Boss is gonna have me work Monday night a week from this coming Monday with the Lead Sleep Tech. That is really smart on his part. I can see how they do the same thing I'm currently doing so I can compare workplaces and gather and "hunt" workplaces and such. Can't wait ta get over by Flag and look at some houses, play in the hotel pool and hot tub, meet possible future workmates at the Clinic, etc.

Really still dig the idea of Williams, AZ, and buying the $50 year pass for the Grand Canyon. That would be the way ta go.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:40 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
azdr0710 - thank you so much for your additions here and there. I will call on you later, if you don't mind, if I have a question of some kind about Flag. My wife and I and this same set of animals moved out of Willcox, AZ, in the spring of 2010 after having lived there for 3 1/2 years. Dusty old cowtown, Willcox. But the Chiracahua Range is really spectacular, one writer was comparing that National Park to the Grand Canyon for spectacular-ability. I kind of agree but it ain't no Grand Canyon!

Really pretty stoked about this because I'd like to work 8 more years and then retire in Arizona, so this news is wonderful for my wife and I. Love Bisbee and Wickenburg, but, who knows, maybe we'll love Flagstaff or little old Winslow even, we won't go after a rental house until the signing is done, so it's hunting and gathering time right now.

Yeah, you're right azdr0710, they may be able to start me under the umbrella of "Sleep Trainee" or something that doesn't require a regular medical license. We'll know in another week and a few days. Also, the Boss is gonna have me work Monday night a week from this coming Monday with the Lead Sleep Tech. That is really smart on his part. I can see how they do the same thing I'm currently doing so I can compare workplaces and gather and "hunt" workplaces and such. Can't wait ta get over by Flag and look at some houses, play in the hotel pool and hot tub, meet possible future workmates at the Clinic, etc.

Really still dig the idea of Williams, AZ, and buying the $50 year pass for the Grand Canyon. That would be the way ta go.
I've seen your passion through your posts. Happy to hear that it sounds likely that you'll be a Zonie in the part of the state I love the most during spring,summer and fall. Not many Phoenicians as myself can find comparable income up there so we can only visit on occasion. Best of luck and am sure you'll maximize the amenities of Coconino County. Definitely pick Williams over Winslow if the Williams rental agreement can get finalized. You are an hours drive from Prescott as well in Williams which has way more shopping than Flag. Flag despite having 80000 people doesn't have the shopping one sees along Rte 69 in Prescott Valley (just east of Rte 89 merger you take south from I 40 at the Ash Fork exit). Winslow is just further away from everything for shopping than Williams. No, Show Low and Payson do not match Prescott shopping either if someone says Winslow has good nearby shopping.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:44 PM

magnum0417 - yeah, I'm really hoping we can generate a rental in the Williams metro area.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:

or spring for the $80 annual Federal Lands Pass and get unlimited admission to the Grand Canyon....and every other National Park and any federal installation that charges!! (Forests, Natl Rec Areas, wildlife refuges, monuments (Park Service), BLM.....(camping fee extra!)

Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 AM

Good idea, azdr0710. Now that is a Parks Pass! Because if we do end up in Williams I'll want to head to the GC often. Hey, magnum0417, there is a Toyota dealer in the Prescott area, huh? Tim's Toyota? Was that it? I'm starting to like the 2015 Toyota Yaris. I would get one with a 5-speed stick. Phoenix isn't far away and there's probably about 7 or 8 Toyota dealers there, so I'm covered. Flag is really a great location for me, I want some of the cold of the Pacific NW that I grew up with, except Flagstaff's weather is better because it gets hot, too.

Can't wait for our trip over there-we'll be leaving Alamogordo on Sunday, June 15th to head up there. Looks like we'll be taking our Chow Chow and Pomeranian up there. Feel free to chime in here with your comments - I'm so stoked about all of this!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,385 times
Quote:
Good idea, azdr0710. Now that is a Parks Pass! Because if we do end up in Williams I'll want to head to the GC often. Hey, magnum0417, there is a Toyota dealer in the Prescott area, huh? Tim's Toyota? Was that it? I'm starting to like the 2015 Toyota Yaris. I would get one with a 5-speed stick. Phoenix isn't far away and there's probably about 7 or 8 Toyota dealers there, so I'm covered. Flag is really a great location for me, I want some of the cold of the Pacific NW that I grew up with, except Flagstaff's weather is better because it gets hot, too.

Can't wait for our trip over there-we'll be leaving Alamogordo on Sunday, June 15th to head up there. Looks like we'll be taking our Chow Chow and Pomeranian up there. Feel free to chime in here with your comments - I'm so stoked about all of this!
I do not know the name of the Toyota Dealership in Prescott. Given that the Prescott Metropolitan Area has over 100000 people when you include surrounding areas like Prescott Valley (where a lot of the shopping is), Chino Valley and Dewey, I am sure there are many dealerships. You need to also take Rte 89A from Prescott to Flagstaff. One of the most stunning drives a man can take. Climb over Mingus Mt which separates Prescott and Jerome. Once you reach Clarkdale and Cottonwood you start your ascent towards Sedona Red Rocks nd eventually Flagstaff. Sounds like the Slide Rock fire has been contained so lets hope that road stays open indefinitely.

I am a Native NYer and I would not ever classify Flagstaff as hot by even NY standards. Might exceed 90 degrees a few times a year tops. Below 6000 feet is where triple digits come into play. I don't even believe Flag has ever hit 100 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona