Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 51,314 times

Advertisements

Hello

Recently, I have developed an interest in paintings. I am not that good as I am in the learning process. I started with water colors and now I have switched to oil paintings. Well, my first oil painting turned out to be really good. I painted an old lady sitting in a garden. Now I want to do some abstract work. Tell me, is it OK to do abstract painting on my own or do I need to take the help of an expert.

Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:49 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
The one thing that strikes me about abstract painting is that you need a REALLY good knowledge of your medium and how to manipulate it lest you just make a mess. Does this require you to take lessons? Not in my mind. I DO think it will take patience on your part but not really much more than the general process of learning to paint much of anything. It's also going to require you to question what you interpret to be "good." Best of luck. As with any good thing in life, don't get discouraged and just keep painting.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 51,281 times
Smile Re: Are brainwave entrainment CDs effective?

First of all congratulations on your first oil painting! Being a painter myself, I would suggest that you first study the popular abstract works done by legendary artists. What I personally do before starting a new painting is go through the online art galleries. They have good collection and there you can study the paintings for hours. I mean it; this has helped me a lot to understand abstract paintings. Why don’t you give it a try? It would help you in understanding the art form. Better still see if you can afford to buy one. Nothing like seeing it live in front of your eyes and drawing inspiration.

For more information visit the website SouthAfricanArtists

James

Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
help of an expert would be useful. on my bad days everything i do is involuntary abstract.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Have you ever done any Meditation drawing? You are "drawing" your feelings not a "picture" but then it is a picture of your emotions which is where a lot of modern abstract art comes from.

Get into a comfortable position to draw - take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed and think of an issue. You are not going to draw an image - you are going to make marks as you feel the emotions inside you. No hearts, arrows or any pictures. Continue to make marks until you feel finished.

Now look at the overall image you have created. Is there any thing else you feel like drawing? If so spend time adding what you please. Now get out your colors and add colors that feel right. It is not about "did good" - try your best to not judge.

I like to write down thoughts that come to mind after I study what I have just created. These images would be inspiration for an abstract painting. You could actually just do the process with paint.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
The real question here is what do you mean by abstract? All art is an abstraction after all and what most people who are not educated in art history consider abstract is part of a progressive movement such as neo futurism or dadaism. But "abstract art" starts the moment that your painting is no longer analytical or "realistic".
I personally have always believed that one, as an artist, has to know how to execute the rules before they can bend or break them. In other words, you have to learn how to draw/paint/sculpt/print "realisticaly" before you can trully know how to make something "abstract". So, in answer to your question, yes I do believe you will need professional help. Taking a class always helps because you can also compare your work to that of the other students and learn from them as well as the teacher.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM

485 posts, read 1,313,832 times
If you, "study" abstract then you are just learning to mimic those, "put on display" artists and their techniques/creations. CREATE! Don't immitate!!! Explore your mind and use your brush!!!!!! Then, it will truly represent who you are and whether or not you truly are a real artist!

Life is ABSTRACT!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
If you, "study" abstract then you are just learning to mimic those, "put on display" artists and their techniques/creations. CREATE! Don't immitate!!! Explore your mind and use your brush!!!!!! Then, it will truly represent who you are and whether or not you truly are a real artist!

Life is ABSTRACT!
I respectfuly dissagree. There is nothing wrong with studying before creating. It is through study that we can avoid making the same mistakes that someone else has already commited before us. Ideas can never be excecuted without technique. It's true that when you study past artists you will mimmick them at first but, when you trully understand their techniques, then you will begin to create and perfect your own. There is no such thing as a self taught artist.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 47,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
I respectfuly dissagree. There is nothing wrong with studying before creating. It is through study that we can avoid making the same mistakes that someone else has already commited before us. Ideas can never be excecuted without technique. It's true that when you study past artists you will mimmick them at first but, when you trully understand their techniques, then you will begin to create and perfect your own. There is no such thing as a self taught artist.
I completely agree with you.
From the first we can't get anything. We must know how to make or get it.
We cant get any ideas of art to paint. First we do them by copying from old paints done by other artists or by looking to other sceneries. To get the art in less time we learn from a professional for some techniques. Later we do on our own.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
The great thing about doing art is that the art created by you is solely dependent (ideally at least) on your interpretation. If you feel like you need to study "abstract" by which I think you mean Modern or even Post-Modern art, then do so. Though I don't think one needs to study Modern art to really "successfully" do Modern art. Fatmancomics has the general idea, in essence everything is abstract, thought is an abstraction, how do you interpret it, is what makes you artistically unique.

I can understand if you were a representational painter and wanted to study past masters by copying their works to get a feel or understand "their" visual interpretation but Modern art at least gives you more freedom to distort your visual language and doesn't necessarily adhere to conventional imagery like representation does. You can boil it down to building your own alphabet in terms of doing Modern/Abstract art.

As to your inquiry, I'm rather hesitant to say that you are not apt to delve into it as hesitant an inquiry as yours would indicate. Who knows, art as it is defined today has no boundaries as indicated by art critics that somehow have managed to appear as some kind of moniker to define "what is" with the illusion of "progression" in art. Just do it, as Nike says.

A mentor, hmmm ..., a mentor would or should only serve as a someone to help guide your thoughts, clarify what you do. Be very wary of self-proclaimed mentors who make you or direct you in a certain way, these kinds of mentors are the death of artistic individualism.

Hope that helps. All the best.

And I just realize this thread is about two years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts