Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,294,547 times

Advertisements

I just found another great board to check out. It's more science based and less about brands....
healthyskin.infopop.cc - Powered by Social Strata

There is even a board about products that are not recommended. Dr. Pickhart answers a lot of the questions people ask.

Worth looking in to. Frankly I am getting a little tired of brand based skin care....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 128,999 times
Yesterday I was looking at the Healthskin.infopopcc and they do seem to be more science based which is a plus. As well as how organiized their layout is really clean and simplified. Twitter is another really good placeI visit for this, also another great board to also check out is The Skin Philosophy The Skin Philosophy - Forum For Honest Product Reviews, Skin Lightening Advice, & Tips Although many of their reviews are skin lightening related, they help break down the ingredients and their effectiveness of a product along with facts of any scientific studies that had been done relation to this.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 84,789 times
truth in aging.com is another good one.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,396,229 times
One of the greatest problems in most skincare and makeup today is the amount of junk they put in it. Actually, if you do some research, you will find that many ingredients in so-called "anti-aging" skincare actually CAUSES aging. Many years ago I read Dolores Rapp's book Our Toxic World. She cataloged all the toxic chemicals we are willingly putting on our skin, in our mouths, on our furniture, on our beds, and in our homes and cars. She was one of the first to put it all together. Her book is a tome and really a challenge to read. Fortunately, there are many websites that help us wade through them. One is The Green Guide - The Dirty Dozen Chemicals in Cosmetics - The Green Guide (http://www.thegreenguide.com/personal-care/dirty-dozen - broken link)
another one is The Environmental Working Group - they have dozens of articles, too: EWG Research Shows 22 Percent of All Cosmetics May Be Contaminated With Cancer-Causing Impurity | Environmental Working Group

Both of the above links take you to a specific page on their sites. After you have read these articles, just go to the search box and type in "Cosmetics" to find the rest of the articles on the same subject. Between the two of them, they have quite a lot of research.

After I read about this more than a dozen years ago, I started reading every product I was using. I also have been making my own face creams from organic sources. And I only buy my makeup from stores that carry organic and Paraben free products. There's more to it, but the links are really great. At first the industry couldn't make products that really worked and were also organic. Even now, some of them are just not good. Healthy, but not usable. So you'll have to experiment. Whole Foods has some great products. They are expensive. But so is going blind from coal tar dyes in mascara. It pays to do some homework.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Oh - one more thing -- here's a page from EWG where you can either look up your makeup and other cosmetics for a safety score, or look through different lists to find the safest by category. Browse Products || Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews

(Disclaimer - I don't have any connection to EWG or The Green Guide. I just like to go there for reference. You can buy most of this stuff at Health Food Stores.)

Old 03-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinskin45 View Post

mySkin.com is a consumer`s dream come true as it finally ends all the wasted
time at make-up counters and finds the perfect products for your skin from
the plethora of products available across brands and retailers. We've
partnered with leading cosmetologists and dermatologists to develop a
scientific approach to making product choices and you'll see that our tools
allow users to figure out products (across all brands and retailers) that
work best for one's skin type, ethnic background, etc. The site is unbiased
since we do not take any advertising from skincare manufacturers.

Besides the fact that your post reads like a long advertisement (read the TOS) your "scientist" on your site actually said this:

"In summary, the threat of parabens is not scientifically validated, but there is reason to be concerned. Some say better safe than worry, some say you can’t get away from it anyway. For now, I’d pay more attention to the ingredient list and if everything equal, I’d choose the parabens-free products. What’s your strategy?"

Not true.The Threat of parabens has most certainly been scientifically validated.There is a huge body of evidence to refute that statement, some of it has been tracked for more than 20 years. And they are now finding that children are being born with multiple toxicities that were never seen before our current love affair with toxic chemicals. Doris Rapp, M D - Pioneer in the Field of Enviromental Medicine & Allergies

Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
You might want to check out My Face Skin . It offers beauty advice, skin products and beauty techniques. Thorough review of face skin, face wash, skin lotion, acne remedies and how to look young.

Last edited by freddy_rodney; 05-05-2011 at 01:44 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,294,547 times
Essential Dayspa, Skincare Talk & Makeup Alley are great. EDS is just that-- essential-- to find out about all the products/techniques you hear about online. Really saved me!

Essential Day Spa Skin Care decleor dermalogica obagi

Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,823,375 times
Please keep in mind that not all products have the same results for every person.

Rating beauty products that can seriously affect one's skin, hair, etc. is one thing. One can say anything one wants, but that is his/her personal result. And statistics mean nothing when every result can be different.

Taking internet reviews as educated, personal advice for something that can affect one's health is not a wise thing to do, imo.

I would ask a reputable dermatologist - not one who wants to make a buck - about what is more appropriate for you instead of trusting internet reviews on something that important.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,443,718 times
I just use Amazon customer review. When I am in the store I just bring up the Amazon reviews for a product. It works like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty