Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,316,676 times

Advertisements

Have you done it?

Did they try to dump a bunch of product on your purchase list?
What was your experience like?

I only had a minimal one done at MAC forever ago in the beverly center.
She asked to do it but didnt shill me product. It was slow that day and she liked my skin.
So la-de-dah. Plus I was trying different reds that were kinda extreme (russian red) with my new almost black hair...It felt more like a hanging out than selling me crap down my throat. She knew I was only going to get one lipstick because I was broke...lol
But it was fun.

I want to go to sephora and try before the buy...

Do they have tons of samples they can give you?
I have really sensitive skin and dont want to get stuck with a $$$ product and not be able to return it. And you know how sometimes that can take a month to show a rash/reaction.
I was pricing chanel makeup. I think I would die if I had to throw that out...
Well not die...but geesh!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:30 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,980,181 times
Most are complimentary but you are expected to purchase products. Some do have minimum purchase requirements for a make over. You can ask in advance what the policy is.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:42 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,721,420 times
Never had a makeover in my life. I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't want to get hooked on cosmetics that cost a bundle. I'm sure you can see and tell the difference in "some" of the expensive makeups. I don't wear liquid makeup or powder anyway, just blush. The lipstick and eye makeup? To me, the trick is in the colors chosen and how they're applied. That's the only reason I'd participate in a makeover. To see what a professional would do with colors on me.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM

I looked into making make-up...There are so many grades of color, additive etc...
It really does make a difference. And man..I am already hooked on pricey lipstick.
LOL

Just think of how different cheap house paint looks compared to high quality...thats a real world place you can see the corp's effort of really getting a good color and finish.

Well...Mid month I think I am going to get one if I have some extra cash to buy something too. I will review as soon as I do.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:05 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,980,181 times
There can be a difference, but not always. Sometimes you are paying more for packaging and prestige.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM

But cindy told me there was no other way!
:P

Its high end or nothing..right?

No I can really see it and feel it when I touch make-up in person.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,371,564 times
A make over is basically a way of advertising for their make-ups...but no requirement to buy anything. Of course they would like you to and as a rule you do end up buying at least something if not many items. There is a big difference in some of the quality make up products but with items like mascara---drug store ones are just as good. Infact some are even made by the same manufacters--crazy, I know! But true! I use to work in cosmetology and learned a lot about the products sold! I do prefer to buy the majority of my make-up from department stores and get quality products for most of my make-up needs! I'm talking about the liquid and face make-up and some of the eye products. Lipstick is a must to buy a good product---usually sold at department stores!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,298,110 times
The last time I did the makeup counter thing was in the 90s. Throughout the 90s I was a Prescriptives devotee. Anything they pitched I would have bought. Now I'm really over that and believe more in picking my own products and learning technique from magazines and books. The make up counter people for me are dead.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,448,121 times
I have had plenty of make- over's done.....and did spend a lot of money on products afterwards (if I liked the outcome).
I came to realize though, that a lot of "looks" they offer straight from fashion shows, runways etc. don't "fit" into MY lifestyle.
I have to stick with something neutral, basic and FAST.....and have not the luxury to spend 1 hour or so, to get myself "dolled" up for work.
And, I also found that NO ONE looks GOOD or GREAT at 4:30 am......LOL.
If I happen to like a product, and my skin tolerates it, I end up with a mixed pallet of high-end and 99 cents products.
Hey, I don't care.....as long as I get the results I require.....it's all good.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,137,221 times
Sephora is evil evil evil. I always get sucked in!!

But, I have a mixed bag of makeup too. I love Maybelline Great Lash mascara. At less than $5, it's as good as anything I've ever tried. I also buy the cheap little glittery eye shadows to use on the rare occasion I get to go clubbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty