Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:04 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

^^lol

I'm just curious, don't most people consider it respectful to wear a small flag pin on their lapel, etc.? Isn't that "attire," or is it just because it's so small and unobtrusive that it's acceptable? Or is it the non-fabric aspect of it? lol I need to get a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 02:03 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I believe what the Flag Code actually prohibits is wearing of an actual flag. Not necessarily having depictions of the flag on your clothing.

Personally, I'm okay if you wear a t-shirt that has a flag on it. Or maybe a ball cap with a flag patch. But flag bikinis and boxer shorts? Tacky.

I'm not really sure what makes flag apparel "badass". But I'm also not in the habit of trying to dress badass, whatever that means.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:25 PM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
^^lol

I'm just curious, don't most people consider it respectful to wear a small flag pin on their lapel, etc.? Isn't that "attire," or is it just because it's so small and unobtrusive that it's acceptable? Or is it the non-fabric aspect of it? lol I need to get a hobby.
That's known as "flair", lol

(Office Space )

Old 04-22-2024, 02:32 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
^^lol

google would get you this...

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:34 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Disrespectful and against the flag code
My wife and I were discussing this the other day after seeing 4th of July napkins printed to look like flags. I'm ok with using red, white, and blue colors on things, but to me it's mighty disrespectful to wipe mustard off my mouth using something meant to look like a flag.

Display the flag. Wear a flag patch or emblem. Fly the flag. But don't make underwear and a bikini out of it.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:41 PM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My wife and I were discussing this the other day after seeing 4th of July napkins printed to look like flags. I'm ok with using red, white, and blue colors on things, but to me it's mighty disrespectful to wipe mustard off my mouth using something meant to look like a flag.

Display the flag. Wear a flag patch or emblem. Fly the flag. But don't make underwear and a bikini out of it.

That would be this part of the code...

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 PM

1,880 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Clothing with the union Jack were at one time extremely trendy here in the USA and in the UK.

Yep, it was displayed quite prominently on many Reebok ads and on their shoe boxes.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:05 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
I don't like any of the clothing. Jewelry is fine. JMHO

Old Yesterday, 03:18 AM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Athletic gear is the best, imo, when it comes to sporting "the flag" or patriotic style clothing.

Which reminds me, the new 2024 Olympic uniforms are not patriotic enough. There's no red, just blue and white (why??) and the bedazzled glitter jewels, the whole thing looks totally wack. Truly awful.. Nike dropped the ball on this one big time.

What country's colors are blue and white?? Not the damn USA that's for sure..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cs/ar-BB1lMlkh

Red

The color red represents hardiness and valor, as well as courage and readiness to sacrifice. It is also sometimes said to represent the blood shed by those who have fought to protect our freedom and our country.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Disrespectful and against the flag code

I agree. American style "patriotism".

Did you see underwear, diapers (even dog diapers!), napkins and TP with US flag? Oh, yes! They exist.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty