Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 03:19 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

There are TWO things that I thought I would never have to contend with as a woman in her 60s. Sheer panty hose and bridal parties.

However, I have been asked to be the matron of honor in a good friend's wedding. There are three other attendants. We are all wearing linen sheath dresses that are knee length. For the church service, she wants us to wear a chiffon shrug. Shoes are nude pumps. I already have a few pairs.

I like the lilac dress, and this is one that I honestly WILL wear again. It's a simple, sleeveless dress. I will take off that shrug thing, for the reception. The bride is wearing a very simple, and appropriate, ankle length gown with satin ribbon trim. Yes, she is 58, but this is her first church wedding. Her first marriage was at a justice of the peace. It lasted seven years and she has one son. She wants to do this the traditional way.

My problem is the "panty hose rule". She wants them to all wear them. I am not the only bridal attendant who doesn't wear them. Karyn never wears nude panty hose. So I am asking for her, as well.
It will also be in April and it could be cold there.

I never wear sheer, "nude" panty hose. I wear opaque tights. Or no tights. I find them ugly and uncomfortable. I do wear black tights.

However, I have been told that sheer panty hose have improved since I last wore them 30 years ago.

Karyn - the other bridesmaid is also concerned with getting a run at the reception. I had not thought of that, until this morning, but now that is another concern.

Does anyone know of a new brand of panty hose that don't look weird, thick, that do not run easily, and match the skin on other parts of your body?

We have heard of some better brands. that are relatively new. We would rather pay more than wear ugly pantyhose that run. Price is not an issue. We will pay what is needed.

We are all between size 2/4 and size 8/10. 5'3" to 5'6" so we don't need an extended sizes.

Just a good quality pair of sheer panty hose.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 03:51 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
All hose run if you snag them. You keep a spare in your purse.
Silkies are decent. Hanes has been around.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
All hose run if you snag them. You keep a spare in your purse.
Silkies are decent. Hanes has been around.
Thanks for answering. My mother wore Hanes, so yeah, they have been around. I do not know Silkies.

Department store or drugstore? Walmart or Macy's?

Plus one for giving me an answer.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:51 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thanks for answering. My mother wore Hanes, so yeah, they have been around. I do not know Silkies.

Department store or drugstore? Walmart or Macy's?

Plus one for giving me an answer.
Amazon:>) The higher the DEN number the better the hose. If you have a Macy's go there. Keep them in the freezer until D-Day. Tell hubby they are not edibles!

Old 03-27-2024, 07:38 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Sometime ago, our local Costco sold SILKS at two dollars plus a pair.
https://west.cocowest1.ca/uploads/20...604350905-.jpg

Now you know. I only shop when there is a sale.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Amazon:>) The higher the DEN number the better the hose. If you have a Macy's go there. Keep them in the freezer until D-Day. Tell hubby they are not edibles!
That made me laugh! What is a DEN number?

Old 03-27-2024, 08:45 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
That made me laugh! What is a DEN number?
Denier-- it relates to how thick the hose are.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
When my daughter got married, I did what I swore I would never do again & wore pantyhose. I still have them, they are the Spanx mid-thigh shaping sheers. They are sheer but very sturdy as I was running around in the woods.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:40 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Just a good quality pair of sheer panty hose.

I always wore L'eggs Silken Mist Silky Sheer. I'm a big girl and they usually lasted all night. You can find them anywhere.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
When my daughter got married, I did what I swore I would never do again & wore pantyhose. I still have them, they are the Spanx mid-thigh shaping sheers. They are sheer but very sturdy as I was running around in the woods.
Wait - does SPANX make nude panty hose? they would have to go all the way up though. The dress is only mid knee. I'd be afraid of a sitting malfunction.

At least it was your DAUGHTER'S WEDDING, and you weren't a matron of honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty