Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 05:18 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I agree, to each his own. So many times we state our opinions and it DOES sound like we're passing judgements. I didn't mean to imply any judgements. Black eyeliner just doesn't do me any favors. ;-)
I wasn’t singling you out, Snazzy.
I mean, I wear it and I don’t THINK it looks bad on me, lol. Who do you ask?
Heck, I never wore any eyeliner until my daughter was old enough to wear makeup, and she showed me how to put it on my waterline.
I’m sure I couldn’t pull it off if I drew it around the outside. That would definitely look harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 11:15 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I use a little brown liner below my brown eyes.. shape my eyebrows with a good pencil but keep them soft.. hard heavy eyebrows dont do older people favours... I love mascara in dark brown..opens up my eyes and makes them look less tired.. I dont use foundation unless going somewhere special and keep it near my skin tone... I dont care for blusher nowadays though less is really more as we age.. I hate face powder and always have.. very ageing... and never used it even as a teenager..always liked a dewy look with a bit of healthy looking glow..

Old 03-30-2024, 11:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Ladies, what mascara would you recommend?

I have no clue what to buy, something more fluid not too thick. I only apply one coat of it on my lashes and then I have to get rid of some extra because it looks too much.

I prefer a vegan mascara if possible but I'm open to other suggestions.

I do the 5 min makeup. Brown mascara, brown liner (just a tiny bit, at the corners of the eye), tiny bit of blush and tiny bit of lipstick.

I use a little translucent powder to cover my speckles. (it doesn't help! )

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2024, 12:43 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Ladies, what mascara would you recommend? I have no clue what to buy

HotandFlashy does great product reviews for makeup and skincare for older women. I've subscribed to her youtube channel for years and found some great products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_Yf3_4esA

Old 03-30-2024, 05:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Thanks.
I wanted to write freckles, not speckles. Sometimes my words are corrected by the computer while I'm writing and I don't have the patience to reread what I wrote.

Old 03-31-2024, 03:43 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’m 69.

I use black liner on my waterline. It doesn’t look awful, does not seem to make me look older or like I am trying too hard.
I used to do it all the time, especially with navy blue liner. Then I read how it supposedly makes your eyes look smaller, which I could understand, so I stopped. lol Anyway, recently I bought a navy blue liner and have been using it again sometimes.

Quote:
I also use black mascara. The mascara brings out the color of my eyes, greenish grey.

Day to day, though, like for work, I use brown liner on my waterline and no mascara.

To each his own.
That's partly why I like navy blue on my waterline. I like how it goes with my brown eyes. (Your eyes sound beautiful!)

When I was young, I also did the whole "smoky eye" thing, lining all around my eyes with black or gray, but I've come to pay more attention to the shape of my eyes and just using less so I look more like "me." My upper eyelids have never been very prominent, and my lower lids are kind of equal to them or a little more, so instead I use eyeshadow or highlighter on my lower lids. Sometimes I line the waterline and use (subtle) highlighter or shimmer on the lower lids, and I like that combination. Might sound weird, but like I said, it's not severely noticeable. I also stopped wearing mascara on my lower lashes because I want to highlight the upper lashes.

I love hearing everyone's methods.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:23 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Another channel worth subscribing to is Nikol Johnson. She's a middle aged makeup artist and former model whose target audience is over 40. Over the years she's done makeovers on women in their 70s, 80s, 90s and even 100!

She sells her own makeup line but also demos other brands in all price ranges. She doesn't praise a brand in order to get a commission. If she dislikes a product, like in this video, she is honest. This video Nikol shows how to salvage a disaster without having to wash your face and start over. She has a self deprecating sense of humor which I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dA6-t_AmU

Old 04-03-2024, 07:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Ladies, what mascara would you recommend?

I have no clue what to buy, something more fluid not too thick. I only apply one coat of it on my lashes and then I have to get rid of some extra because it looks too much.

I prefer a vegan mascara if possible but I'm open to other suggestions.

I do the 5 min makeup. Brown mascara, brown liner (just a tiny bit, at the corners of the eye), tiny bit of blush and tiny bit of lipstick.

I use a little translucent powder to cover my speckles. (it doesn't help! )

Thanks.
The girls from work LOVE Honest beauty

Old 04-03-2024, 08:01 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Another channel worth subscribing to is Nikol Johnson. She's a middle aged makeup artist and former model whose target audience is over 40. Over the years she's done makeovers on women in their 70s, 80s, 90s and even 100!

She sells her own makeup line but also demos other brands in all price ranges. She doesn't praise a brand in order to get a commission. If she dislikes a product, like in this video, she is honest. This video Nikol shows how to salvage a disaster without having to wash your face and start over. She has a self deprecating sense of humor which I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dA6-t_AmU
watched all this .interesting... keep seeing Mrs Robinson from the Graduate..

Old 04-03-2024, 09:13 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I wasn’t singling you out, Snazzy.
I mean, I wear it and I don’t THINK it looks bad on me, lol. Who do you ask?
Heck, I never wore any eyeliner until my daughter was old enough to wear makeup, and she showed me how to put it on my waterline.
I’m sure I couldn’t pull it off if I drew it around the outside. That would definitely look harsh.
If you are in the photo on your album posted here - I have to agree. Looks good on you, maybe a little lifeless and skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty