Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 09:06 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

"Blue is for Boys, Pink is for Girls". It wasn't always that way, but we all remember hearing that at one time or another.

Since the early 1040s, elite NYC clothier, Brooks Brothers, began promoting Pink as a color appropriate for men to wear. I love it. My dad wore it, My grandfather wore it and so did all of my uncles.

Brooks Brothers pink stands out from the imitators. It is bright but not garish, creamy but tart, fresh and confident.

The companies that copy BB pink, don't get it right. Not perfectly right.

Interesting side note - the author of "A Separate Peace", John Knowles, attended my High School. Oyster Bay Junior Senior High School in NY.

I love Pink on men.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/style...h%20femininity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 04:47 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Blue is for Boys, Pink is for Girls". It wasn't always that way, but we all remember hearing that at one time or another.

Since the early 1040s, elite NYC clothier, Brooks Brothers, began promoting Pink as a color appropriate for men to wear. I love it. My dad wore it, My grandfather wore it and so did all of my uncles.

Brooks Brothers pink stands out from the imitators. It is bright but not garish, creamy but tart, fresh and confident.

The companies that copy BB pink, don't get it right. Not perfectly right.

Interesting side note - the author of "A Separate Peace", John Knowles, attended my High School. Oyster Bay Junior Senior High School in NY.

I love Pink on men.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/style...h%20femininity.

So?
Blue color looks splendid on me - certain shades.

Should I avoid wearing it, since it's "traditionally men's color?"
Likewise, if the BB shade of pink looks right on particular man in suit, he will wear it.

After all, it's not the *color* that makes man a man and woman a woman.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:04 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Works for me.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I meant to write the 1940s, not the 1040s. ;-)

Here is a picture of a men's sweater in what I would call "Classic Brooks Brothers Pink". I love the color on lightly tanned men, who have that well bread, polished, look that radiates confidence. It really flatters every complexion, but if winter leaves you pasty white, a little natural vitamin D will give you the glow that contrasts well with Brooks Brothers Pink.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/supim...r/MS01108.html

Brands that have helped to popularize pink for men, include Ralph Lauren, Vinyard Vines, and Izod - Lacost. Alas, I do not think Izod Lacost still makes it's iconic alligator polo shirt.

Brands and stores that do not "get it right" include Le Tigre (long gone), Nautica (in another class if they are still making clothes, Kohls, JC Penny, and any lower versions of the Ralph Lauren brand.

I think every man who likes to wear the polor pink, owes it to himself to have at least one Brooks Brothers pink shirt or sweater in their wardrobe.

I have made it clear that I like men in pink. However, what are your thoughts?

Men - do you wear pink? If you don't, why?

Women, do you like men in ponk?

Everyone on City Data must know that I am a generous repper. I will reward people with a rep who respond with seriousness, sans snark or "attitude".

Old 03-20-2024, 08:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I have pink dress shirts. I think what it really comes down to is the color of the shirt matching your skin tone. If it matches, then it's good to go because it'll look good. Your clothing and skin tone will complement each other.

I can wear pink but orange would look very harsh on me.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I meant to write the 1940s, not the 1040s. ;-)

Here is a picture of a men's sweater in what I would call "Classic Brooks Brothers Pink". I love the color on lightly tanned men, who have that well bread, polished, look that radiates confidence. It really flatters every complexion, but if winter leaves you pasty white, a little natural vitamin D will give you the glow that contrasts well with Brooks Brothers Pink.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/supim...r/MS01108.html

Brands that have helped to popularize pink for men, include Ralph Lauren, Vinyard Vines, and Izod - Lacost. Alas, I do not think Izod Lacost still makes it's iconic alligator polo shirt.

Brands and stores that do not "get it right" include Le Tigre (long gone), Nautica (in another class if they are still making clothes, Kohls, JC Penny, and any lower versions of the Ralph Lauren brand.

I think every man who likes to wear the polor pink, owes it to himself to have at least one Brooks Brothers pink shirt or sweater in their wardrobe.

I have made it clear that I like men in pink. However, what are your thoughts?

Men - do you wear pink? If you don't, why?

Women, do you like men in ponk?

Everyone on City Data must know that I am a generous repper. I will reward people with a rep who respond with seriousness, sans snark or "attitude".
ponk? :d

No. I actually do not like men in pink.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:24 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I actually do not like men in pink.
Me either. It's uber-femme. (Which is fine if that's the look you're going for.)

Old 03-21-2024, 06:40 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I pass.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:09 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
2024 and we're still assigning genders to colors?? Really? So why is it acceptable for women to wear blue? Double standard much?

Old 03-21-2024, 07:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I don't like men in pink. My man looks great in light blues and shades of turquoise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty