Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 10:56 AM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Younger women wearing leggings definitely have their butts showing because they look good haha.
Many leggings are thick enough that underwear isn't visible if the underwear is thin.

I'm almost 70 and LOVE leggings because my legs look good in them, tops I wear come down to crotch level.
I add another layer on top of the leggings of a mini skirt or skort because I like more coverage in public.
At home I'll skip the skirt layer.

My absolute favorite outfit is leggings with short skirt, blouse of any length.
Younger women (again) won't wear a skirt on top unless they work in an office.

I think "leggings" started back when they introduced "jeggings" which were leggings that looked like jeans and they FIT because they had elastic in them.
No, leggings were around way longer than "jeggings". I have never worn jeggings and for a long time I had no idea what that even meant.

I wore leggings when I was pregnant, and that was in 1991. The styles in maternity clothing were big babydoll-looking dresses. I went shopping with my mother for a dress for my cousin's wedding, and I remember coming out of the fitting room and the two of us laughing so hard I couldn't stand up straight. I am six feet tall, seven months pregnant, and the maternity dresses had giant puffy sleeves, peter pan collars and big bows. I looked like a giant doll. Ended up buying a normal dress in a bigger size and taking it on the sides at the top.

For most of my pregnancy, I just bought leggings in a bigger size and wore them with long oversized shirts. But anyway, as I said, that was 32 years ago now, and I don't think jeggings were yet a thing.

I would never ever wear leggings with a top that didn't cover my belly and butt. It would be unkind to the rest of the world. Amazes me when I see women do that, though.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:35 AM

22,387 posts, read 29,507,923 times
Thongs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 11:41 AM

36,450 posts, read 16,055,816 times
i wear leggins sometimes, no panty lines, they're pretty thick, with long tops. Wearing leggings with short tops, the woman needs to be in great shape or...no go, unflattering.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:38 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,008,158 times
Panty lines are a factor of two things: either the leg elastic seam of the underwear is thick enough to see through the leggings, or the elastic digs into the flesh of the rear end and creates a divot. Either way, no-show underwear is the answer, as it will have neither of these problems.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:50 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,769,210 times
Aw what the heck, this might be good for a few laughs. I've taken yoga classes for a few years now to help with my TBI recovery and recently switched studios after moving.

The instructor of the class suggested I try leggings after stepping on my baggy sweatpants and almost falling. So, I did. (TBI left me gait & balance issues) I always set up in the back row to try blending into the background. That worked for a while. Then one day I walk into the studio and find two rows of women set up in the back leaving me the entire front row to myself and our instructor. And yes, I was wearing leggings,(Thick ones were recommended) and I learned women seem to like checking out the "assets" of guys as much as we enjoy theirs.
Yes, the yoga has helped quite a bit with my recovery.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:36 PM

23,382 posts, read 19,006,746 times
The only time I've worn leggings was under winter outerwear, workout gear, or an Inuit-inspired kuspuk. Kuspuks have evolved into a fun sense of AK identity. Especially when you rock them wearing XtraTuff neoprene boots! Both women and men wear them winter and summer (women usually add the flounce). Some refer to them as a "parky". Before my agency employer got a stick up its arse and required everyone in addition to rangers to wear those 50s era paramilitary uniforms around the office, you'd see some lovely ones every day. They look great on pretty much everyone of any physique. At least the kuspuks covered up any questionable bits. One of my favorites has braid trim featuring little polar bears.

What's a kuspuk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuspuk

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-a...alaska-kuspuk/

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-03-2024 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-03-2024, 05:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
The last pair of Xtra tuffs I had is probably still in the ditch where I threw them 20+ years ago.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The last pair of Xtra tuffs I had is probably still in the ditch where I threw them 20+ years ago.
Have to agree.

The "old" XtraTuffs, with the sporty little buckle on the calf, that actually supported the foot that wore them, made out of real rubber that took some punishment, with tread that didn't slip on the wet, agreed with my cranky feet. My last good pair didn't survive coatings of Exxon Valdez beach crude. The "new" neoprene garbage pair sits by the door providing Alaska ambience for houseguests. While it wouldn't be kosher not to own at least one pair, I hardly ever wear them. Except just for fun to finish off my kuspuks!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-03-2024 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2024, 06:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
I saw an urban barista wearing Xtra tuffs today (in Oregon). I guess that means they've arrived as a fashion statement of sorts among whatever passes for hiptsters these days.

The originals were made for use on fishing boats, but even they couldn't beat the old school Romeos.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I saw an urban barista wearing Xtra tuffs today (in Oregon). I guess that means they've arrived as a fashion statement of sorts among whatever passes for hiptsters these days.
Well, I've seen Oregonians wear XtraTuffs before. They were often younger folks/students who took summer jobs on AK boats, fish processors, trail crews or the tourism industry. Either that or she wants someone to think she did! She wants to project that "I'm well traveled and adventurous...I've even been to the Last Frontier!" vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty