Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 05:50 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
This.
No gouging at all.
Guys. I did not assert that the Target issue was gouging. I explained what happened as an aside. I should not have included it. Sue me!

I'm looking for other examples of price gouging. Right?

It IS price gouging when only a few months ago the same product above was $5 instead of $8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 04:53 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Guys. I did not assert that the Target issue was gouging. I explained what happened as an aside. I should not have included it. Sue me!

It IS price gouging when only a few months ago the same product above was $5 instead of $8.
That's a mighty big assumption. Maybe some of the ingredients went up in price or are hard to get now or they had to use a more expensive freight line for delivery since Yellow went bankrupt.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:38 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
The latest price gouging I've experienced:

I searched all over for the particular scent of lotion I use (Vanilla/Almond Nivea body lotion). It was widely available for years. Now I have to buy it online or travel 35 miles to the city to get it at Target because Walmart no longer carries it. It went from $5 last year to $8 this year. I decided to buy it from Amazon whereupon it came with 3 nice bonuses. Paid $20. The 3 nice bonuses are high quality, and something I would use and have started using.

The above took place after a deal I saw: I ordered 3 bottles online from Target. Pick up within 3 days 35 miles away. At time of pickup I would get a $5 coupon, thereby reducing the $23 total to $18. I didn't make it in time, so the items were returned to the shelf. Instead of refunding the full $23 back to my account, they refunded $18 (docked $5, likely for "re-shelving").
Nivea products went up everywhere. I am seeing it here, overseas. It's my favorite brand and it cost now double, comparing to last year. All other cosmetics/beauty products went up a lot too. It's not a phenomenon happening just in the US.

Reshelving fees are normalcy now. People are returning way too many items. It takes a man power to reindex them and put back on the shelf. It shouldn't be free. Maybe some people will be more careful ordering and returning unwanted items, it became epidemic.

Last edited by elnina; 08-13-2023 at 06:51 AM..

Old 08-13-2023, 06:47 AM

24,472 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

No it is not. It is supply and demand. Nobody forces you to buy the product at any given time and price.

Old 08-13-2023, 06:50 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I love the original scent of Nivea, and it’s very smoothing and not greasy.

You can order from Target online, and their delivery time is pretty quick. I think there’s a delivery fee though.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:42 AM

I took a look at their annual report.

Rising prices looks to be a combination of global inflation, exchange rates, country mandated climate change items (Germany requires a company do it at all global locations) and availability of resources. The cost of their ingredients went up 17% (exchange rate, inflation, switching resource providers)

The Ukraine war and sanctions has a much bigger effect in Europe.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:10 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yesterday I was up in the city so I went in and I talked to the store manager about why I couldn't make it in by the end date, showing him the order and the refund email. He gave me a $5 gift card for the store. I told him I'd already found another option and he just said that's ok. There are legitimate reasons why people don't make it in on time.

We'll see if prices on things come down, just like it did with eggs several months ago. Totally different items, but I'll be watching just the same.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:33 AM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I took a look at their annual report.

Rising prices looks to be a combination of global inflation, exchange rates, country mandated climate change items (Germany requires a company do it at all global locations) and availability of resources. The cost of their ingredients went up 17% (exchange rate, inflation, switching resource providers)

The Ukraine war and sanctions has a much bigger effect in Europe.

And then the stores are dealing with increased shrinkage [ie shoplifting] so they are increasing the price as well, and not having sales like they used to.

And yes the "transitory" inflation is not going away.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yesterday I was up in the city so I went in and I talked to the store manager about why I couldn't make it in by the end date, showing him the order and the refund email. He gave me a $5 gift card for the store. I told him I'd already found another option and he just said that's ok. There are legitimate reasons why people don't make it in on time.

We'll see if prices on things come down, just like it did with eggs several months ago. Totally different items, but I'll be watching just the same.
You won't see that in manufactured goods. Eggs is a raw commodity and those high prices were because of supply and demand....hundreds of millions of chickens culled due to bird flu while the demand was unchanged.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:30 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Just because a price goes up doesn't mean it's price gouging. Price gouging is very specific:

Price gouging occurs when, in the wake of an emergency, sellers of a certain necessary goods sharply raise their prices beyond the level needed to cover increased costs.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...8C1F82570E46A7

Most people feel that price gouging is immoral, but your example isn't price gouging.

There was no emergency. There are so many alternative skin creams and lotions. I am confident that you can find one at your price point.

Skin cream is not a necessary product.

Interesting that you accepted a gift card for the store despite your failing to fulfil your part of the agreement: pick up the item within three days.

Don't you think there is something immoral about accepting a gift card when the failing was yours, not the store's fault? And you didn't even make the purchase for which you agreed?

All in all, sounds like you benefitted from your alleged "price gouging".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty