Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 12:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times

Advertisements

Maybe the shoulder pads can be recycled into a park bench.

I do not understand the urge to try to resell or repurpose old possessions. In my family we have been dealing *for years* with an elderly relative who wants to give away all of her possessions to other family members. Just throw it away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 12:53 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I do not understand the urge to try to resell or repurpose old possessions. In my family we have been dealing *for years* with an elderly relative who wants to give away all of her possessions to other family members. Just throw it away!
Today is Earth Day, and reusing and repurposing items, even old clothes, is so much more sustainable than sending them to the landfill. Creating new things has a huge carbon footprint. There are a lot of people who love vintage fashion and create new garments out of old ones. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff out there that can be thrown away, but that should be a last resort

Old 04-22-2023, 09:04 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I’m trying to come up with any distinctive eighties fashions and can’t. From the seventies I remember lots of odd things. Prairie Maxie dresses, gaucho pants, neon colored ponchos, smock tops, and for guys, the ever popular leisure suits. But all I can remember from the eighties is those blouses we wore to the office with built in ribbons on each side dangling from the neck that you tie into bows. Big bows! Maybe padded shoulders, or was that seventies too?
Shoulder pads. Torn jeans. Acid-washed jeans. Anything neon. Spandex. Jelly shoes. Slap bracelets. Crimped hair. Spiral perms. High-waist, tapered-leg jeans. Brightly-colored spiked hair. Colored tights worn with shorts. Leggings. Splashes of color like paint splatters. Plastic earrings. Lisa Frank prints. Baggy tops that were off one shoulder. Side high ponytails. Were slouch socks (layered in different colors) 80s or 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
80s Clothes: Acid washed jeans, skirts, bold colors like pink and aqua. Leg warmers (think Flashdance), Calvin Klein jeans, leather skirts, clothes from Moda International (Victoria's Secret clothes), and yes...those huge padded shoulders!

Let's bring back the 80s big hair!
Oh, I forgot the leg warmers!

Old 04-22-2023, 11:52 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I’m trying to come up with any distinctive eighties fashions and can’t. From the seventies I remember lots of odd things. Prairie Maxie dresses, gaucho pants, neon colored ponchos, smock tops, and for guys, the ever popular leisure suits. But all I can remember from the eighties is those blouses we wore to the office with built in ribbons on each side dangling from the neck that you tie into bows. Big bows! Maybe padded shoulders, or was that seventies too?

Velvet/velour pants/shirts, also spandex pants, I also had a black long sleeved, zippered front spandex jumpsuit. Think hair bands like Poison. Capezio shoes.

Also think what Madonna wore.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:17 AM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4ever View Post
Let's bring back the 80s big hair!
Nooooooo!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2023, 05:49 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
When I worked at a college theatre department a few years ago, students were always searching thrift stores for vintage clothing they needed for their productions. I'm sure they still are. Anyone having outdated clothing might consider donating them to a thrift store.

Old 04-23-2023, 06:11 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I sold clothing and other items online for a few years. Because there is still a glut of '80's fashions to be found at most thrift stores, their value is not very high. I did have re-sale success with some acid washed jackets and jeans, but they have to be in good condition, and people will buy "big poofy" 1980's style wedding dresses around Halloween time to use for Zombie costumes (think Beetlejuice).

1960's and '70's vintage clothing sells for much more because there's not much out there anymore.

I think 80's clothing needs more time before it becomes sought after. I did buy a 1980's dress recently from a thrift because it was so well made. It had classic lines so it is not too out of date looking - I simply had to snip out the shoulder pads. Some clothing was still being made here in the U.S.A. in the 1980's and so the quality was good.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:27 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

You might want to check the prices on Etsy for some of granny's stuff nobody wants. Much of it is crap. Some of it is worth some bucks. I looked up a little mcm globe lamp the other day before I gave it to the charity resale store. It is selling for 350 on Etsy.

The younger just starting out kids place a value on used household items. Most are better quality than anything you can purchased these days.

I had my kids and grands make a list of what they wanted. Nobody will take it now. I will save for them and get rid of the rest.

Your relative is doing you a favor by getting rid of stuff now. When the time comes to empty the house for selling it can turn into a giant PITA. Especially if perceived childhood slights get into the mix and 2-3 siblings get into a pissing contest over a 2 dollar spoon.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:01 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Did Morty Seinfeld sell you a box of his beltless raincoats?

Old 04-23-2023, 10:31 AM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
I have 4 formal gowns from the 80's/early 90's. They are well made and still in good shape.

I also have some Forenza sweaters from my college days, a Levi's denim jean jacket. There's probably more, but that is what I've found so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty