Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 09:40 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
This thread is so timely for me! I am 48 years old and just started dying my hair. After only two dye jobs, I am seriously considering stopping. I have very short hair, so that drives up the expense for me. But even without the expense, I think to myself, why? My hairdresser never pressured me to do it; she simply said the "right time" is when it bothers you enough to do something about it. If we didn't generally go gray around the face first, I would never have done it.

My mom's hair is not gray, it's bright white. From the gray hairs that I've seen pop up on my head, I think I will be the same. Jamie Lee Curtis is my "short hair, gray hair" hero. All this to say...one of these days, I'm just going to do it!
My hair is bright white too, although it's darkened from minerals in the water, and sun exposure. There are ways to remove the yellowing that happens with sun exposure. I'm getting ready to try it after thinking about it for quite awhile. A little concerned that the procedure (DIY) won't turn out well, or even be a disaster.

I'd love to be able to wear my hair like Jamie Lee Curtis. Her facial structure is suited to very short hair. Mine is not, much to my chagrin. If your hair is very short, it would take only six months to get the grow out done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, if my greys were growing in a streak like that, I'd be thrilled!
Back then, 30 years ago I felt differently, but I think I would welcome it now!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The most important part is that you're happy with it and the awkward growing out stage is over with! I love working with hair and even went to Cosmetology school when I was fifty but arthritis made me see how unrealistic I was being so I dropped out. For me, coloring, highlighting and cutting my hair is fun.

I never pressure my friends who went grey to go back to coloring their hair but I do get a lot of people (mostly just acquaintances) who really want me to go grey and no matter how many times I tell them I enjoy the whole process of upkeep and the results, they have a hard time letting it go

I'm not sure if there are many wig stores around anymore but that would be a good way to try out the total grey look if someone is undecided.
It would be great if you could find something that looks good. I've tried wigs and sadly I look ridiculous in them. I don't know why that is. It looked so bad and ridiculous that I yanked them off immediately!

Old 03-24-2023, 02:56 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I don't care what other women do with their hair. If they want to go grey that's their choice and it has nothing to do with me. What I take exception to is when women try to talk me into joining the grey movement. I'm very happy with my dyed dark blonde hair. I get many compliments on it and I believe it enhances my appearance.
I'm with you - all the way. I was born with blonde hair, and I will die with blonde hair. I would say that I receive 4 or 5 compliments each week about my hair alone. It's silky, thick, straight, long and the strands are fine. I love my hair, and I have no intention of changing that. It looks natural, and youthful. It's me.

Women who want to stop coloring their hair, have every right to do that. If that's the look you like, go for it! You certainly don't need my permission. You will never find me saying "Karen, I loved your chestnut colored hair! It was so flattering on you. You really should see my colorist! She is so talented!"

What I would like is that same respect. If you see a woman who is over 50, with lovely brown, copper, black or blonde hair, she is happy with her hair. I don't see "growing out the grey" as a movement, or a sign that you are more of a feminist than I am. I see it as a trend. Some women will want to do that. Others will not.

I love being pampered and looking good - looking good to ME. I enjoy getting my hair done. "Going Grey" is not a discussion that I am open to having. Not any more than the option of having a sex change. Not interested. However, I am fine with others who decide to do this.

How I look, dress, keep my hair, the choice to have Botox or cosmetic fillers, or eventually, possibly a face life, are MY CHOICES. They are not some kind of referendum and I am not seeking anyone's opinion but my own.

Just leave those of us who decide to color our hair alone. In return, we will leave you alone. We can still be friends, just accept that I'm not interested in ever doing that.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:04 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a movement, just because more women are doing it these days.

I started out with blonde (platinum) hair as a child, but it went light brown. I colored it for a while after it started going grey. If it had stayed lighter (blonde) I'd still be coloring it. My daughter keeps her hair really blonde after going darker as she got older.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:31 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My hair is bright white too, although it's darkened from minerals in the water, and sun exposure. There are ways to remove the yellowing that happens with sun exposure. I'm getting ready to try it after thinking about it for quite awhile. A little concerned that the procedure (DIY) won't turn out well, or even be a disaster.

I'd love to be able to wear my hair like Jamie Lee Curtis. Her facial structure is suited to very short hair. Mine is not, much to my chagrin. If your hair is very short, it would take only six months to get the grow out done.
Get yourself some purple shampoo. That helps take out the yellowing that can happen with white hair. I use Loreal Everpure Purple Shampoo. It's between $9 and $10 bucks.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:37 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
FWIW if you have very coarse thick hair, it's easiest to let it grey naturally.

Especially long hair. If you maintain your own hair at home, letting Nature take its course is not so terrible.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Get yourself some purple shampoo. That helps take out the yellowing that can happen with white hair. I use Loreal Everpure Purple Shampoo. It's between $9 and $10 bucks.
I've tried several of the purple shampoos over the years, that one included. They always turn my hair blue or purple. That's why I looked into the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, lemon juice method. I'm getting ready to do it, because my hair is looking pretty dull. When I lived in New Mexico I'm sure the water was full of minerals. Not sure of the water where I live now, but I've gotten tired of duller hair and finally ready to do something about it. Had to wait until scalp seborrhea was cleared up. I got an incorrect diagnosis last fall, but finally was prescribed pharm level ketoconazole shampoo a couple months ago, and it worked.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:51 PM

Also...

When I started letting my hair grow out, I was concerned about the "skunk stripe" I would have. My hair had previously been dyed a reddish purple, that had faded out. My hair dresser lightened chunks of my hair, to where it was more...a rose gold color, with the silver growing out. It was actually quite pretty.

So my point being, if you WANTED to, a colorist could color your hair to make the transition time less stark looking, if you wanted.

It's been about 5 years for me since I last colored my hair.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've tried several of the purple shampoos over the years, that one included. They always turn my hair blue or purple. That's why I looked into the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, lemon juice method. I'm getting ready to do it, because my hair is looking pretty dull. When I lived in New Mexico I'm sure the water was full of minerals. Not sure of the water where I live now, but I've gotten tired of duller hair and finally ready to do something about it. Had to wait until scalp seborrhea was cleared up. I got an incorrect diagnosis last fall, but finally was prescribed pharm level ketoconazole shampoo a couple months ago, and it worked.
Maybe not leave the purple shampoo on your hair too long. I only keep it on my hair a couple of minutes, and then rinse it out. I also just use it a couple of times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty