Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

None of us are getting any younger, so it's important to take care of our skin. I admit that I could pamper & do more to mine. I need ideas. I'm mainly interested in the type of creams, serums, etc. you use for day & night. Also, anyone know a good skincare line for sensitive, very oily skin for a 30-something?

There's so many different brands out there that I don't even know where to start & I don't really want to take the time to try a million things to see what works for me & getting all broken out in the process. I just wish I had my holy grail skin products NOW.

I don't mind paying a little $, so they don't have to be drugstore brands, but if they can work as good as higher brands, then maybe OK.

That Ole Henriksen line looks pretty good! Anyone try his stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
I'm in my early 40s with skin that used to be oil in the T-zone, but my skin's gone very dry over the past 3 years or so.

Morning: I gently wash my face with Olay moisture soap. I use Body Shop body butter (fuji green tea) all over, and I dab a bit on the dry areas of my face.

Evening: I don't wear much makeup, just a CC cream, lipstick and eye makeup. I use a Sephora eye makeup remover, and wash with Olay and dab on some Body Shop body butter on dry areas.

I used to use a Neutrogena body oil, but that wasn't working after awhile. Too heavy and greasy, I just didn't absorb it as well later on. Lighter body lotions and skin creams seem to work better, now that my skin's drier.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I shower in the afternoon, after work, because I get so sweaty at work. I wash my face with CeraVe cleanser and a washcloth, I wash my body with Olay bar soap and a washcloth, hair gets washed with Kiss My Face shampoo. I can't use those poufs -- too harsh on my skin.

I use Neutrogena non alcohol toner, then follow with my rosacea gel. While that's drying, I lotion up with Philosophy Amazing Grace, or L'Occitane Almond Milk, then I use CeraVe Serum, then CeraVe Facial Lotion.

The next morning, before I go to work, I splash my face with water, toner up, moisturizer, then mascara.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I am 53, and I have pretty balanced skin - used to be oily in the T zone but no more, and no dry spots. Very few wrinkles - that's a genetic blessing. I have good "tone" to my skin - also a blessing of genetics. I also do not do any tanning and I wear moisturizer with sunscreen.

In the morning, I rinse my face off with just water, because I wash it well the night before. Then I apply a LITTLE bit of almond oil - very little bit. Sometimes I remember to put an eye cream around my eyes, but that's hit or miss.

Then I use BB cream as moisturizer/very light foundation. Set it with Lancome Dual Finish powder. Touch of blush. Smudge look in charcoal around eyes. Mascara. Lip gloss.

This stays on all day. I love BB cream! I order the Korean BB cream from Amazon.

In the evening I wash my face with Lancome cream cleanser. This takes my mascara off as well. About every third day I use an exfoliating cleanser. When I get out I put a night time moisturizer on - it really doesn't seem to matter what brand as long as it's very creamy. I also put a lip moisturizer on.

About once a month I do a lactic acid hydroxy peel. Those are VERY gentle. You can buy this on Amazon and it's not expensive. A little goes a long way - just rub it on, avoiding eyes and lips, and leave on for about ten minutes max. Rinse off - moisturize with almond oil or something soothing. I LOVE this stuff. It really makes a difference.

About once a month I do a mud mask as well. I leave it on for about 30 minutes.

The time I spend cleansing and putting on and taking off makeup each day probably amounts to about 10 minutes tops. So far so good.

I think there are several keys to really healthy skin:

1. Don't tan - and use sunscreen.
2. Drink plenty of water.
3. Don't smoke.
4. If you drink alcohol, drink a glass of water for every drink - if I don't do this, I get dark circles under my eyes.
5. Get as much sleep as your body REALLY requires. I need 6 hours of sleep, but some people need 8 or 9. Whatever - get enough sleep.
6. CLEAN YOUR FACE every night, exfoliate regularly, and use appropriate moisturizers. Don't use too much of anything on your face and stay as natural as possible, letting your clean skin breathe.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
I am a big believer in purchasing beauty items that are cruelty-free. I made this switch several years ago, and it isn.t hard to find items labelled "Not tested on animals" now.
I primarily buy 90% of my skin care products at Whole Foods. I hope you have one near you! Get to one and wander or ask for assistance. I go by the scent... and prices are LOWER than the drugstore brands, oh, and did I say how they smell better?
Makeup thats cruelty free is trickier, but if you have a Sephora near you they will be more than happy to help. Possibly Ulta however they have a lot of drugstore crappola so stick near the premium counter.
Whole Foods has these great brands for soap, cleansers lotions and shampoo:
Jason, Dr. Hauska, Everyone, E.O., Nature.s Gate, Mychelle.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Sounds good guys! I've been looking around online at various brands of skincare products. I'd like to get a good type of face mask too. I'm starting to build a list of these good quality brands I'd like to try more of:

Kiehl's
Boscia
Ole Henriksen
Glam Glow

Also, CHARCOAL is a very beneficial, detocifying ingredient! I picked up this new facial scrub by Garnier that happens to have charcoal in it!

Currently, I have items from the brands:

First Aid Beauty Red Clay cleanser - dono't see any kind of difference really
Kiehl's
Glam Glow
St. Ive's Apricot Scrub

Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
None of us are getting any younger, so it's important to take care of our skin. I admit that I could pamper & do more to mine. I need ideas. I'm mainly interested in the type of creams, serums, etc. you use for day & night. Also, anyone know a good skincare line for sensitive, very oily skin for a 30-something?

There's so many different brands out there that I don't even know where to start & I don't really want to take the time to try a million things to see what works for me & getting all broken out in the process. I just wish I had my holy grail skin products NOW.

I don't mind paying a little $, so they don't have to be drugstore brands, but if they can work as good as higher brands, then maybe OK.

That Ole Henriksen line looks pretty good! Anyone try his stuff?
I use Ole Henriksen, three little wonders, for about six months now and my skin which was already decent looks better. So much so my mother insisted upon using it when we went on vacation together and now she went out and bought her own set.

That being said I won't spend much for cleansers, it's on your face for only moments. So to wash daily I use yes to carrots cucumber (I have mildly sensitive skin) on a red konjac sponge (also highly recommend). In the morning I follow that up with the vitamin c serum from OH. Smells like a creamsicle. And right before I leave the house I use sunblock from yes to carrots. I am in the sun almost everyday so I use a real sunblock.

At night wash with the cleanser and sponge again. Some nights I follow up with Fresh exfoliant. Always use their rose water toner next. Than finish with OH last two. Sounds long but I spend the same amount of time brushing and flossing. And I no longer ever have to wear foundation so it pays off.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Sounds good guys! I've been looking around online at various brands of skincare products. I'd like to get a good type of face mask too. I'm starting to build a list of these good quality brands I'd like to try more of:

Kiehl's
Boscia
Ole Henriksen
Glam Glow

Also, CHARCOAL is a very beneficial, detocifying ingredient! I picked up this new facial scrub by Garnier that happens to have charcoal in it!

Currently, I have items from the brands:

First Aid Beauty Red Clay cleanser - dono't see any kind of difference really
Kiehl's
Glam Glow
St. Ive's Apricot Scrub
I recently bought glam glow muds in trial sizes at Sephora for myself and daughter. I tried the hydrating one. Eh, I could take it or leave it so I would be buying it again. My daughter has oily skin and she loved the charcoal mud enough to buy the actual size.

I don't use charcoal as it can be very drying but if you have oily skin it might be good.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
I think too much skin care actually makes our skin less resistant and degrades its functionality. I just apply face lotion at 8:15 AM on weekdays before leaving for work and let nature take its course.

Plus, why do you need nighttime skin care ?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I think too much skin care actually makes our skin less resistant and degrades its functionality. I just apply face lotion at 8:15 AM on weekdays before leaving for work and let nature take its course.

Plus, why do you need nighttime skin care ?
Nighttime needs to remove makeup and dirt from the day and restore hydration. It is also the best time for anti aging things serums to be used as you are not touching your face or under the sun which can cause a reaction for some items especially those with ahas.

Additionally aren't you a 20 something guy with a dark complection? Most men don't do skin care at all. So that you do any proves it is all just perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty