Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 7,831 times

Advertisements

I dont need to watch this, Im not crazy about the beginning photo, I think it says it all. Unnecessary drama from some female who looks heavily made up, to me (night time city make up). Personally I had my eyeliner tattooed - one thin line over & under, Im aging & it made my eyes look more like they used to & took away the need for eye make up. It fades after about 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 06:58 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,407,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzAugust View Post
I dont need to watch this, Im not crazy about the beginning photo, I think it says it all. Unnecessary drama from some female who looks heavily made up, to me (night time city make up). Personally I had my eyeliner tattooed - one thin line over & under, Im aging & it made my eyes look more like they used to & took away the need for eye make up. It fades after about 5 years.
She quoting what was said to her. She feels like the woman was insinuating that she's ugly. She's mature enough to let it roll off but her point is how devastated younger women could be to have such thoughtless things said to them by strangers.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:05 PM

16,447 posts, read 12,632,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzAugust View Post
I dont need to watch this, Im not crazy about the beginning photo, I think it says it all.
No, it doesn't actually. You're making assumptions about the point of the video.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:16 AM

26,867 posts, read 22,725,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
What total BS.

She transforms herself from a reasonably nice-looking woman into an imitation hooker.

Of course it's BS.

All she needed to do was to even out her skin, slap some concealer under her eyes and to shut up, instead of yakking to the high heaven for twenty plus minutes.

No need for this war paint in order to look more polished.

She just likes to be a drama queen.

Last edited by erasure; 07-17-2022 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 12:24 AM

26,867 posts, read 22,725,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
She quoting what was said to her. She feels like the woman was insinuating that she's ugly. She's mature enough to let it roll off but her point is how devastated younger women could be to have such thoughtless things said to them by strangers.

Younger women usually don't trigger these kind of comments, because at their age the presence of make-up doesn't make big difference as with older women. ( Particularly of this ethnic background, that the person in video is.)

Old 07-18-2022, 08:01 AM

398 posts, read 209,224 times
Look at her she is OK but would be hot with a ton of makeup.

Said no guy ever.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:42 AM

16,447 posts, read 12,632,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Look at her she is OK but would be hot with a ton of makeup.

Said no guy ever.
There are PLENTY of guys who prefer a glam makeup look to 'au naturel'.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:12 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sure, but what royalty and the upper classes did didn't necessarily trickle down to what the vast majority of people in that society were doing. So even if Queen Elizabeth was painting her face with lead or wearing clothes draped in pearls and jewels or taking regular baths, the cooks in her kitchen and the farmers out in the country and the fishmongers weren't doing that.
That is not entirely true. There’s a good content creator on YouTube Abby Cox who discussions a lot of the misconceptions about women’s clothing, hair, and makeup, and tries a lot of the techniques for hair and makeup. It is really interesting. There is one book she refers to a lot in her videos with makeup recipes to use at home, although I can’t remember the name right now. A lot of her focus is more on what regular women did, not just the wealthy women.

https://youtube.com/c/AbbyCox

Old 07-22-2022, 11:57 AM

14,734 posts, read 15,196,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
So now you're a hooker if you wear a lot of makeup? lol.
Or a drag queen. Or an old movie star with one foot in the grave who's lost their sense of reality, confidence and sense of mental stability.

Any time somebody wears so much makeup that it makes them look like a bizarrely painted up cartoon caricature of what the wearer thinks an attractive woman should look like, then that person is wearing too much clownish makeup and not enough common sense.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:24 PM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
My grandma used to have a series of books for young women. They were OOOOLLLDDD books, all set in the 20's. I read most if not all the books. The protaganist was a 'good girl' who would never fall in to the temptation of 'modern' mores, like nail polish, painted lips, and flapper dresses, and somehow, she always got her man by being pure and chaste.

But I also remember reading a book my grandma had, where the main lady wanted to look extra special before getting off the steamboat, so she found a red ribbon, dipped the end of it in water, and then drew the wet end across her cheeks, to blush her cheeks out, and then took a little bit of coal, added it to some water, and brushed it across her eyelashes to make them look darker.

So...it seems to me that what was going on THEN isn't much different than what goes on now. There are plenty of women who choose to enhance their appearances. And there's plenty of women who choose not to. Same as its ever been.

And by the way, my paternal grandma wore makeup, and my maternal grandma did not, except for lipstick.

I used to go to a Christian school with a lot of Pentecostal folks. This particular group eschewed makeup, but boy howdy, come picture day, all the girls pulled out their chapsticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty