Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 06:46 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

What is awful is the little mirrors stores have on the reading glasses or sunglasses display, positioned way up high, at least if you are not tall. You look up into that tiny wavy thing and have no idea how the glasses really look on you, on top of the mirror making your face look like a goblin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 07:27 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I looked in a store mirror and saw a nightmare. I hope it was shadows being cast by unnatural flat light, weird angles and a cheap mirror. Lines appeared that don't even show up in bright daylight and strange shadows and bumpy things. I had done a decent job on my makeup I thought, but it looked like crap in that mirror.

Are fluorescent lights the devil's doing- a cruel trick, or a reality check?
OMG you made me lol! My Nana said "eee gads" when she saw herself under those florescent lights in a dressing room when I took her out after I did her hair and make up! I thought she looked beautiful. She thought she looked really old. TBH? Those lights hurt my eyes!
EDIT: I read the rest of the replies. Omg you all are so funny! Love this thread!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-04-2022 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 12:39 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
One time I and my 2 sons were at the mall. My youngest was acting up, and I decided it was time to GO. I had him by the collar of his shirt, pulling him along. I saw my reflection, and I looked like a wicked witch pulling Hansel along. LOL
hahahahahaahah to see us as others see us hahahahaha

Old 05-05-2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What is awful is the little mirrors stores have on the reading glasses or sunglasses display, positioned way up high, at least if you are not tall. You look up into that tiny wavy thing and have no idea how the glasses really look on you, on top of the mirror making your face look like a goblin.
hee hee.. not to mention the big daft tag dangling over one eye..

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-05-2022 at 01:13 AM..

Old 05-05-2022, 12:41 AM

I remember years ago I had a job cleaning a big house... I leaned over to clean a mirrored table and felt sick when I saw my droopy face over the table.. it really put me on a downer for days.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Kinda like at the hairdresser after they shampoo you and take the towel off. Yikes.
oh no dont even go there and to make matters worse most hairdressers have a big open window for viewing... its like pay per view ugliness. and what about when your hairs done and she wheechs the smaller mirror round the back and sides to let you see while others keek through their mirrors at your reaction....

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-05-2022 at 01:08 AM..

Old 05-05-2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
You beat me to it! I was actually going to ask about this! What is the DEAL with Zoom? The only other time I see myself is in the soft natural light of the bathroom (window light) and I think I look "Ok", considering.

Then I get on Zoom and I have to tape over my own image so as not to cry out loud.

Same thing when the phone accidently switches to selfie mode when I'm trying to take a picture. Holy Cr@p. No selfies for me.

On the bright side, I have two really flattering Drivers License pictures, of all things! I keep them in my wallet where I can get cheered up anytime, lol.

So, it makes you wonder---WHY ON EARTH do "beauty" salons and dressing rooms have the very worst unflattering lighting! Don't they realize you need to look good to buy the product? So very weird. I sometimes avoid the salon for just this reason.

Doesn't have to be that way---ONE time I was in a Nordstrom's that had low, flattering light in a spacious dressing room with upholstered seats.....now we're talking! I so appreciated that.
I have a mirror at home with the right lighting to make me think Im prettier , younger and more healthy looking ,the other mirrors all tell lies ..Im sure of it... I smile as soon as I see a mirror as I dont like that crabbit old grumpy one who sneaks up on me when Im not expecting her.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
4:10 is for you:

George Carlin - Little Moments

Personally, I think everyone looks quite monstrous under fluorescent lighting..lol.
hahahahahahah monstrous..

Old 05-05-2022, 01:17 AM

Oh cant stop giggling... remember one day in a well known department store the girl at the makeup grabbed me on an OFF day which for me back then with four kids was many... I was rushing to pick them up from school and she says ..How would you like a makeover.. I squnted in a big oval gold framed mirror and thought ..... Listen babe your gonny need more than some powder puff to straighten that overstressed mush.. even she saw the challenge and looked away.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:16 AM

https://www.speeli.com/why-does-fluo...-you-look-bad/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty