Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times

Advertisements

When I worked in Hong Kong, my colleagues took me to these little suit shops in Mongkok. They tailor make suits for a low as $100 (HKD 700).

Sure, they use the least expensive materials. But even so, to get a made-to-measure suit for that price is incredible. Some shops even have a fitting step to ensure the measurement is good.

Even if you upgrade to all wool fabric, it's still only $200 per suit. And the European cut is just perfect; they stay at the forefront of the trend.

When I traveled to NYC I saw a shop at around 23rd street also offering suits for $100 or $150. I did not have a chance to try them out.

Do you know about these suits? Any such thing in the San Francisco bay area? My 15 year old son is starting to wear suits for a few occasions. Instead of buying known-labels' off-the-rack suits, I rather go with an inexpensive tailor-made suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 03:53 AM

Right after I posted this topic, my Facebook news reel starts to show men's suit advertisements. What a creepy experience. How does Facebook track what I am typing?

Old 03-09-2022, 04:51 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Yeah...I paid those prices too....in the 60's. Those days are long gone....along with $.25 gasoline.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:55 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Right after I posted this topic, my Facebook news reel starts to show men's suit advertisements. What a creepy experience. How does Facebook track what I am typing?
Noticed this too...Big Brother...

Old 03-09-2022, 06:09 AM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Cookies.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:57 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
You're just now noticing this? Whenever I order or looked into something (ordered tomato and pepper seeds yesterday, priced tents a few days ago, etc.) I start seeing ads for those or similar things. This has been standard practice for many years. But it didn't start with the internet. People who purchase gold products end up on the mailing lists (ie, snail mail) for golf catalogs. Ditto for just about any product you can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Noticed this too...Big Brother...
Nope.

Big Brother was a dictator around which a personality cult was created, atop a totalitarian government committing mass surveillance. Targeted advertising has nothing to do with government or oppression or a loss of civil liberties.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:43 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
When I worked in Hong Kong, my colleagues took me to these little suit shops in Mongkok. They tailor make suits for a low as $100 (HKD 700).

Sure, they use the least expensive materials. But even so, to get a made-to-measure suit for that price is incredible. Some shops even have a fitting step to ensure the measurement is good.

Even if you upgrade to all wool fabric, it's still only $200 per suit. And the European cut is just perfect; they stay at the forefront of the trend.

When I traveled to NYC I saw a shop at around 23rd street also offering suits for $100 or $150. I did not have a chance to try them out.

Do you know about these suits? Any such thing in the San Francisco bay area? My 15 year old son is starting to wear suits for a few occasions. Instead of buying known-labels' off-the-rack suits, I rather go with an inexpensive tailor-made suit.
Here's how it works in San Francisco. You're well-situated to realize this dream of yours. There are tailor shops in and around Chinatown, maybe some have an office near the FiDi, that are connected with those HK tailors you encountered. They take your measurements and keep them on file. You can choose from a variety of suiting material they have, and the quality is high, because SF businessmen and lawyers aren't going to accept cheap wares. When they get your suit in, you come and try it on.

In the future, you can just call in and order another, since they have you on file. Usually, you get two pair of pants per order, because the seat tends to wear thin, while the jacket looks like new for far longer. You can also request a vest, to make it a 3-piece suit.

I would imagine you can find these places by Googling around. I'm sure $100 in whatever year you were there is now significantly more, but it's still very economical for tailor-made suits. And the quality of the fabric is better than what you observed, because you pick the fabric.

Enjoy your shopping adventure!

Old 03-11-2022, 06:57 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
Have you checked out Suit Supply? It's a chain that's a retail front door for the HK tailors. Management is European.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:36 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Tailor-made suits to fit were and are nice. But the expenses surrounded them also added up over the years as people added more mass to their waistlines

Old 03-11-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Tailor-made suits to fit were and are nice. But the expenses surrounded them also added up over the years as people added more mass to their waistlines
Yeah the last time I ordered, I ordered 5 suits in one shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty