Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 09:02 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Take a look at the picture of this WWII woman pilot. This woman is gorgeous. She could walk side by side with anyone in Hollywood today. We seem to have this idea that people looked different than we do today, back in history. The styles were unique to the times, but the people back then pretty much look like the people of today.

We do have more science, health and nutrition to help us age better today.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...y11-story.html
Those women were so much thinner than most women today. Teensy-tiny waistlines.

I'd like to see what these styles are, but the OP link just took me to comments and ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 09:15 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I remember my granny wearing dead weasels around her shoulder. At least that's what I thought they were. I was fascinated by their little heads with glass bead eyes. The fur was so soft. A lot of older women wore them as well.

A weasel scarf
I've seen those! They were fox. I think I remember little feet dangling, too. Strange what kinds of things go in and out of fashion, no?

Old 02-12-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Those women were so much thinner than most women today. Teensy-tiny waistlines.

I'd like to see what these styles are, but the OP link just took me to comments and ads.
That happened to me, too, but then I saw, that I could scroll up from the comments, and the photos appeared. It takes a few seconds for the photos to load, apparently...?

Old 02-12-2022, 09:45 AM

2,969 posts, read 1,642,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've seen those! They were fox. I think I remember little feet dangling, too. Strange what kinds of things go in and out of fashion, no?
They're a type of mink I believe a Russian breed, called kolinski. Sometimes referred to as sable.

Weasels can be called sable as well but I think the draped "scarf" was made with mink.

In my vintage days I had several and wore them with vintage suits.

People's eyes would pop out. Lots of people remembered their grandmother's wearing them to church.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
They're a type of mink I believe a Russian breed, called kolinski. Sometimes referred to as sable.

Weasels can be called sable as well but I think the draped "scarf" was made with mink.

In my vintage days I had several and wore them with vintage suits.

People's eyes would pop out. Lots of people remembered their grandmother's wearing them to church.
I guess you're right. Foxes are larger, I guess? Wow, this really takes me back!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
Quote:

My father's elderly aunt(?) or maybe my grandmother had one of those. (Was it a fox or minx stole?) We "inherited" it after the owner passed. As kids, one of my brothers would drop it on top of my little sister while she was walking down the stairs - to scare her. It worked! She'd screech.

From my father's deceased elderly female relatives - we had some of their fur coats. Not sure if they were real
(they seemed to be) but one was so soft - a seal coat? When we were unloading our father's old house, there really wasn't a demand for any fur coats. My sister took 3, she said the local shelters use them as
"beds" - the animals like to sleep on fur. She said maybe the community theater group could use one for
a costume. I remember taking a fur collared old woman style coat and donating it to the Salvation Army.
It was so dated looking.

Some websites show restyling old fur coats into more modern looking items - jackets or even making
handbags out of them.

Last edited by 2 Scoops; 02-12-2022 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-12-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
My father's elderly aunt(?) or maybe my grandmother had one of those. (Was it a fox or minx stole?) We "inherited" it after the owner passed. As kids, one of my brothers would drop it on top of my little sister while she was walking down the stairs - to scare her. It worked! She'd screech.

From my father's deceased elderly female relatives - we had some of their fur coats. Not sure if they were real
(they seemed to be) but one was so soft - a seal coat? When we were unloading our father's old house, there really wasn't a demand for any fur coats. My sister took 3, she said the local shelters use them as
"beds" - the animals like to sleep on fur. She said maybe the community theater group could use one for
a costume. I remember taking a fur collared old woman style coat and donating it to the Salvation Army.
It was so dated looking.

Some websites show restyling old fur coats into more modern looking items - jackets or even making
handbags out of them.
Wow, I can't imagine fur coats being given away. There are second-hand clothing stores around the US that buy or accept on consignment fur jackets and coats. Some specialize only in fur coats and estate jewelry. There was one in my neighborhood mall when I lived in Seattle. They said, that tour groups of Russians would come in and clean them out, because the prices were so good. They also said, that Japanese businessmen would buy a whole lot to take home and resell, again because the process were so low.

Although the old-fashioned mink fur jackets like "society ladies" would wear to the opera and such seem impractical, I've seen those on the fur coat racks in clothing consignment shops, too.

I guess the ones that are too dated-looking and of poor quality get turned down at places like that, though.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:00 AM

2,969 posts, read 1,642,545 times
Quote:
I guess you're right. Foxes are larger, I guess? Wow, this really takes me back!
The woman who owned my favorite vintage shop back then was about my age. She had really done her research and was a fount of knowledge.

I learned so much from her. She also knew the social aspect of the clothing and how women would wear them and the foundation garments that went under the clothes. I didn't get into that aspect of it though.

Sometimes an Old Hollywood movie will have a costume with a kolinski draped over the shoulders of the actress. Rosalind Russell comes to mind.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:53 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I remember my granny wearing dead weasels around her shoulder. At least that's what I thought they were. I was fascinated by their little heads with glass bead eyes. The fur was so soft. A lot of older women wore them as well.

A weasel scarf
I remember my aunt's passel of dead minks scarf. Looking at one today gives me the horrors! Looks like a nest of rats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30434360352...e9434a36dde485

And kid gloves! Remember those? Grandma had a pair that were gorgeous with Brazilian embroidery on the tops. There's no way anyone here could ever get their hands in those slender little things.

Last edited by Lodestar; 02-12-2022 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Everyone needs a hobby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty