Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 09:41 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I never heard this^^….even from my parents or grandparents. Didn’t musicians have them in the old days? Military doesn’t fit the rebellious thing IMO.

How would you know if a blogger had a tattoo? A vlogger or influencer makes more sense. AND think of all the younger celebrities, actors, actresses & musicians that have them. A lot of my friends have at least one & that doesn’t count all the tattoos we can’t see on ppl.
My daughter has a sleeve as well as other body tats that you would only see when she is at the beach. Meanwhile, she is a teacher and a PhD student. There are YouTube videos of her giving presentations at universities in Europe and Asia. She is wearing long sleeves, has her hair in a bun and wears her big glasses, and she looks like the biggest geek on the planet. No one would be able to tell how much ink she has.

She plans them out. She only does black-and-white, no color, and each one has a certain meaning to her. The one tattoo I have is the same as one of hers. It's something that connects the two of us and there was a reason I did that for her.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:46 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
And now for some Tattoo Trivia:

R.H. Macy started selling goods as a street vendor after a stint in the Navy where he got a tattoo. His business grew into the department store chain that now bears his name. What was the tattoo?

No cheating! The answer is easy to figure out.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:12 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

She plans them out. She only does black-and-white, no color, and each one has a certain meaning to her. The one tattoo I have is the same as one of hers. It's something that connects the two of us and there was a reason I did that for her.

I only have a couple of small lettering tattoos. One of them was for my husband right after we became engaged…so ITA a tattoo can connect ppl in different ways. It’s the farthest thing from “rebellion” IMO…so tbh, I don’t understand the thread.^^ But I’m not old enough to know or relate to what some ppl are saying on it.

Like anything in fashion & beauty tho or cosmetic surgery, it can be done to an unhealthy extreme or for the wrong reasons. IMO most millennials are about individual choice, health & fitness. I don’t know of any millennial who would call not having a tattoo “counter cultural” tho……like some are posting.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:33 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I always liked the saying, "He who goes against the fashion is himself its slave".
LOL. Some fashion house must have created that saying. Makes no sense.

I don't have pierced ears because I have never liked them and they creep me out. How does that make me anyone's "slave", LOL?

Old 02-06-2022, 12:21 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Some fashion house must have created that saying. Makes no sense.

I don't have pierced ears because I have never liked them and they creep me out. How does that make me anyone's "slave", LOL?
It makes sense to anyone who has seen "The Devil Wears Prada" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2fgquYTCg

Old 02-06-2022, 01:13 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,678,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logjam View Post
I’ll be the pariah. I got my first at 70 y/o, by my measure it was 50 years in the making. I became fascinated with tattoo art as a youngster but never took the step. I’m now 75, I have 2. I didn’t do it to fit in, or stand out, or any other “trendy” notion. Both of mine have significant personal meaning, I enjoy them and like how they look.
That is awesome. My neighbor Lady is in her mid 90s and still lives by herself. She got her first one about 10 years ago. She has 2 now.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
I'm not a fan of face tattoos, but I have seen some amazing work on arms and backs. I've been considering getting one on my arm of the Pearl Jam "Alive" stick figure from the CD single. I started thinking about it in 1992. (I'm 51 now.) I still haven't made my mind up LOL

Old 02-06-2022, 01:33 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
I don't think they've been considered rebellious for quite some time. They are commonplace around here (general Phoenix area). Now that they are no longer the exception, I've wondered if people are trying to outdo one another by coming up with something "unique".

I find them unattractive, but I can't say I don't have one; I was given a tat as a marker for my radiation treatment. It's very tiny though, so I can deal with it.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:45 PM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My dad had a Marine Corps emblem tattooed on his arm, so tats didn't have a negative connotation for me.

In the '70s, I was a theatre costumer. One of our actors had beautiful full sleeve tattoos (though I don't think they were called that then); his costume shirts always had to have long sleeves to hide the tats. I think it cost him a role at least once.

I see most tattoos these days as decorative expressions of individuality.
Face tats? Ugh.
Even when tats were becoming acceptable in the 90s sleeves were considered extreme, and now they are acceptable. No reason faces can't be. Once a trend or fashion catches on it gets pushed and expanded. Remember when it was rebellious to have a pink streak in your hair and now people have full heads of bright colors.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:48 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logjam View Post
I’ll be the pariah. I got my first at 70 y/o, by my measure it was 50 years in the making. I became fascinated with tattoo art as a youngster but never took the step. I’m now 75, I have 2. I didn’t do it to fit in, or stand out, or any other “trendy” notion. Both of mine have significant personal meaning, I enjoy them and like how they look.
That’s awesome. My husband got his first when he was about 60, and wants another. I have an idea for one for myself, left shoulder, but I always feel as if I’m too old to go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty